Gibson Brands Forums

50 Years Ago This Was Released

Sgt. Pepper

Okay it was actually 50 years and 2 days ago. This has always been The Stones album, at least for me. Not one bad song on it. I still have my original with the working zipper. Many think its Mick in the jeans and undies, but it was some male model Andy Warhol used. Once Brian passed and Mick Taylor joined the band they where probably never better. I do love Some Girls and Beggars Banquet. Many consider Exile, The Stones album and like many who think The White Album should have been a single LP, I think the same of Exile.  I still get blown away by Can't You Hear Me Knocking and love the way it ends where Charlie does a cymbal crash and everyone just stops.

hDFZlhk.png

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

For me, this one and "Let It Bleed" are the Stones at their peak. 

I know everyone goes on about "Exile" but I agree it should have been a single LP. 

I used to have a live bootleg from this era with MIck Taylor which made me understand why they were so highly rated as a live band back then. 

But I never saw them or bought the albums - I didn't need to - as everyone else did.  I heard they were either really good or terrible, live.

• Like 1

I am with you on this one. 

I own exactly two Rolling Stones albums, and this is one of them. 
(Some Girls is the other.)

By default, this is my favorite. 

I was in Jr High, and living over in Germany when Sticky Fingers came out. 
Good times, good memories. 
Grand Funk Railroad, 3 Dog Night, Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath, George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, and this zippered album. 
Good times indeed. 

😑

• Like 1

there are 3 Stones albums I like - and I'd happily listen to then anytime - Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers. Sticky fingers is probably the best of the lot. I don't particularly care for any other Stones albums though...weird that. My favourite song is Sway. That outro solo, the phrasing, Mick Taylor was a good un (probably still is)! Mick screaming hey, hey now!!... with as much passion as you'd ever get from him. A rock masterpiece (and no Keith!)

44 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I am with you on this one. 

I own exactly two Rolling Stones albums, and this is one of them. 
(Some Girls is the other.)

By default, this is my favorite. 

😑

Some Girl was the first Stones album I ever got. Got it for Xmas when It came out. Its probably my #2. I was 12 when I got it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Some Girl was the first Stones album I ever got. Got it for Xmas when It came out. Its probably my #2. I was 12 when I got it.

I was eighteen, about to turn nineteen, when I was gifted Some Girls by my then-girlfriend, future ex-wife. 

I was suffering thru the Army's flight school at Fort Rucker, Alabama at the time. 

Shedoobie, shattered shattered. 
😗

1 minute ago, sparquelito said:

I was eighteen, about to turn nineteen, when I was gifted Some Girls by my then-girlfriend, future ex-wife. 

I was suffering thru the Army's flight school at Fort Rucker, Alabama at the time. 

Shedoobie, shattered shattered. 
😗

I don't think my parents knew I was listening to an album with lyrics like that on it.

• Like 1

I never owned a copy of Sticky Fingers, but I like it a lot. Most of those songs I had on compilations anyway.

Yes, I'm one of those that would cite Exile as my favourite. I would disagree about it being condensed to a single album.  like all the songs on it. Loving Cup, Soul Survivor, Rocks Off: all good stuff,

2nd favourite is Let it Bleed with Gimme Shelter as prolly fave Stones song. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was 27 at the time.  Thought the LP was disappointing.  Only had 2 Stones LPs.   "12x5" ('64)  and "Beggar's Banquet"('68)  And earlier singles "Not Fade Away", "Tell Me"  and "(Can't get no)Satisfaction".  all in '64 when I was 13.

Sticky fingers  only had two tracks I ever liked("Brown Sugar" and "B!tch")   I had my daughter(with all the "share-ware") make me a compilation CD with all the widely spaced tracks of Stones tunes I like.  Other than the two LPs I owned there weren't enough tracks I liked well enough on any other LPs to make it worth buying any of them.  [sad]

Whitefang

10 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I always thought they sounded like a bar band where the singer didn't show up, so they asked if anyone in the audience can sing. 😄  But they've grown on me over the years and I really like Keef's chord voicings.   Sticky Fingers is a solid album no doubt. 

Your right. I've always though they were a garage band that got really famous.

THE greatest rock n roll band for many reasons even tho of course not every song pleases everyone or me - but- they pretty much invented the genre and blasted it thru our lives for  60 years and counting,  beat that if you can  (I doubt it)  ,As for "sticky fingers"  a great one with a cover thats  as famous or more so than the songs, but there were many great albums and songs.  

(2006 I snagged front row center for a bigger bang show in Van and they proved who the best rock band was. and they had 50 years behind them )

19 minutes ago, jvi said:

THE greatest rock n roll band for many reasons even tho of course not every song pleases everyone or me - but- they pretty much invented the genre and blasted it thru our lives for  60 years and counting,  beat that if you can  (I doubt it)  ,As for "sticky fingers"  a great one with a cover thats  as famous or more so than the songs, but there were many great albums and songs.  

(2006 I snagged front row center for a bigger bang show in Van and they proved who the best rock band was. and they had 50 years behind them )

When I saw them they were absolutely awful. It was 81. Keef and Mick were not on speaking terms. What a s-hit show it was. It was the last time they toured before they used 40 backing members to make them sound better other than just the sax or keys player for the song.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

a lot of artists had bad shows including hendrix  zepplin and more  -  the whole picture isnt a snap shot .- the stones library of music and the bands history speak louder than your disdain .

Sticky Fingers is classic. I have loved everything they've done all along. I've seen them live 4 times starting in 78 in New Orleans. Phenomenal very time. All Down the Line and Midnight Rambler live make me go nuts every single time.

Certainly don't need to defend them, the proof is in the pudding. Look at what Keith and Mick have done...for 60 years.

Comes down to personal taste doesn't it?

On 4/25/2021 at 11:52 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Okay it was actually 50 years and 2 days ago. This has always been The Stones album, at least for me. Not one bad song on it. I still have my original with the working zipper. Many think its Mick in the jeans and undies, but it was some male model Andy Warhol used. Once Brian passed and Mick Taylor joined the band they where probably never better. I do love Some Girls and Beggars Banquet. Many consider Exile, The Stones album and like many who think The White Album should have been a single LP, I think the same of Exile.  I still get blown away by Can't You Hear Me Knocking and love the way it ends where Charlie does a cymbal crash and everyone just stops.

hDFZlhk.png

50 years ago I was on a Bomb Squad out of Fort Meade, MD, (actually stationed in Chambersburg, PA).... trying to get myself out of the Army... I finally accomplished that on May 17, 1971... then I drove across the US in my Volkswagen in just over 3 days, (spent the night in Reno before driving home to the SF Bay Area the next day).   The Stones did some great work.   I saw them in '65 and '66 with Jones still there....and my son took me to see them on my 70th Birthday in 2019!

We do Jumpin Jack Flash, even more garage bandy than they do.  I enjoy singing and playing that one.  And Honky Tonk Womens.  Sometimes Wild Horses.  Occasionally Get Off My Cloud.  My favorite is Waitin On A Friend.  That's all I got.

rct

4 minutes ago, rct said:

We do Jumpin Jack Flash, even more garage bandy than they do.  I enjoy singing and playing that one.  And Honky Tonk Womens.  Sometimes Wild Horses.  Occasionally Get Off My Cloud.  My favorite is Waitin On A Friend.  That's all I got.

rct

It is almost impossible to play more sloppy than The Stones, maybe Jimmy Page circa his heroin phase around Presence, but that is a close second.

Is makin love and breakin hearts a game for you?

That almost sounds like a Billy Ray Cheese-d-ick  and Little Nas XYZ lyric.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It is almost impossible to play more sloppy than The Stones, maybe Jimmy Page circa his heroin phase around Presence, but that is a close second.

Is makin love and breakin hearts a game for you?

That almost sounds like a Billy Ray Cheese-d-ick  and Little Nas XYZ lyric.

It's the great reverb and air they got in that one.  And it is a very old song, but it came out at a particularly good time.  Like, if you weren't having a good time in 1982 you were definitely doing it wrong.

rct

10 minutes ago, rct said:

It's the great reverb and air they got in that one.  And it is a very old song, but it came out at a particularly good time.  Like, if you weren't having a good time in 1982 you were definitely doing it wrong.

rct

I was in 10th grade.