Gibson Brands Forums

DIY Fire Bird , Need Help Saddle Height

HI I built my own FIREBIRD and I  am having trouble with B and e Strings , their is times where it sounds like I got it Palm Muted but thats not the case and seems like anything from FRET 9 and up to like 20th etc. Everything else is cool , I have all the saddles pressed upwards even height , I am wondering if B and e need their own special positioning ?

OK UPDATE , Here's the deal with the issue I had with playing.

Seems like I can do everything now the same way I would normally do on my Stratocaster expect for 1 thing.

The A Bar Chord. the chord that is this.

e 0

b 2

g 2

d 2

a 0

e x

With my stratocaster I can seriously lay my middle finger flat and be able to pick all that ,

With my firebird , It's almost like I got to do a quick finger peel off before and after hitting the B & e.

On my stratocaster I always used ERNIE BALL , The 009 Size. 

I'm wondering if a different size set is a better match ?

On 4/26/2021 at 8:03 AM, hak2235 said:

HI I built my own FIREBIRD and I  am having trouble with B and e Strings , their is times where it sounds like I got it Palm Muted but thats not the case and seems like anything from FRET 9 and up to like 20th etc. Everything else is cool , I have all the saddles pressed upwards even height , I am wondering if B and e need their own special positioning ?

Sounds like it's the neck that's the problem, or the frets? I dunno, I never built a guitar. 

Everything is back to normal just only not  the CHORD I just talked about. I am wondering if the string size I have at the moment is too easy to mute ?

I will find out tonight when I stick bigger strings on the spot I am talking about HAHA.

Edited by hak2235

On 4/30/2021 at 12:31 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

With a tune o matic bridge, the saddles adjust for intonation only. If you want to change the height of the string (aka “action”) you adjust the two large thumbwheels 

It sounds likely that you have some low/high frets 

AGREED , It was a DIY KIT , it's pretty darn good , I just got to do a weird finger twitch for 1 Chord at the moment.

Could I shave a Fret Down ?

On 4/30/2021 at 12:31 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

With a tune o matic bridge, the saddles adjust for intonation only. If you want to change the height of the string (aka “action”) you adjust the two large thumbwheels 

It sounds likely that you have some low/high frets 

OK YES , So the real bottom the 2 large nuts , i do have every thing flat  , Also seems like the Frets are just fine instead of the neck.

Picture Here -  https://www.instagram.com/p/COWGwV7J-Ut/

4 minutes ago, hak2235 said:

True too , I tried adjusting to the left with my allenwrench.

Well I wouldnt go moving it unless you check the neck first.

You want two tools..  A fret rocker and a notched straight edge..... Essential for finding out if the neck is bowed and doing any fretwork..  

On 5/1/2021 at 6:11 PM, Rabs said:

Well I wouldnt go moving it unless you check the neck first.

You want two tools..  A fret rocker and a notched straight edge..... Essential for finding out if the neck is bowed and doing any fretwork..  

I did a little bit of trust rod turning , it all seems pretty good to me , I just bought a new GUITAR NUT , I am convinced the GBE Slots are not deep enough , I also bet everything is not spaced enough either. I think its just a junk guitar nut. THE GBE Slots almost look the same size etc.

Edited by hak2235