Gibson Brands Forums

For All You KISS Nuts

Sgt. Pepper

Bass players might be more astute than you'd think - McCartney, Sting, Gene, Waters, dude from U2 - all right up their among the wealthiest rockers of all time.

They all pay more tax, and likely give more to charity,  than any of us here too, so good luck to 'em.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvi said:

maybe cause his wife is Canadian....maybe he has both passports ,maybe he lives here,  how come you call people you dont know names like tool and worse,  on a public all ages forum,  shows ignorance if you ask me ....ps you quote me too much.

Yep the teenages are avid Gibson fans and can afford them. And is tool a bad word? I'll bet the kids know worse more foul words than we do. I just looked he doesn't, but his daughters does. Wait its cause he has money. 

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

My point was maybe it would be better to enjoy the wealth rather than seeking out new things to copyright to make even more. His focus appears to be more on money than enjoying said money. 

Actually copyrighting the image of a bag with a $ sign on it... Jesus. Maybe that time would be better spent making new music? 

Yes, I know he doesn't care what I think. 

I'm guessing HE doesn't think HE has too much money.    I agree....I'd rather give up a job that pays more each year than most people make in 10 and enjoy what's left of my life, (which is exactly what I did).   But, that's MY choice....no one else's.

I have never been a big Kiss fan.  I saw them in concert circa 1977 with Uriah Heap as the opening act.  When it came to musicianship, I think Uriah Heap blew their doors off.  But Kiss’ stage show (theatrics) was impressive.

My garage-band-mates and I went to see KISS in Dothan, Alabama in December of 1975. 
We were just catching onto KISS Alive and Dressed To Kill when we drove down there. 

We were on the front of the stage, right below Paul Stanley's mic stand. 
It was a phenomenal and formative experience, let me tell you.

To this day, we do at least one KISS song in every live band performance. 
Doesn't matter what the crowd, event, or venue. 
Some KISS is going to make it in there. 

🙂

v8v321ixos811.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

On that album he was gonna take off his pants. Your mama couldn't stop him and your papa couldn't stop him.

I have that and a few others of his on vinyl.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Randy Newman can write some really funny stuff but some of it  is just so mean-spirited.

Then I realized that he's writing it all from the perspective of fictional charecters he invents, what his actual thoughts are on any subject nobody knows.

I watched a documentary on him and his world-wide fan base is 80,000 people and he says that he's probably the best looking one out of the bunch!  He really backpedalled when he was asked "So are you saying that your fans are ugly?"

34 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Randy Newman can write some really funny stuff but some of it  is just so mean-spirited.

Then I realized that he's writing it all from the perspective of fictional charecters he invents, what his actual thoughts are on any subject nobody knows.

I watched a documentary on him and his world-wide fan base is 80,000 people and he says that he's probably the best looking one out of the bunch!  He really backpedalled when he was asked "So are you saying that your fans are ugly?"

Yeah some of his stuff is great and some is not. Not sure if he is a liberal or not, but if he is, he probably doesn't write Short People, Red Neck, and  Sail Away today in the PC, BLM, Transgender Surgery and Bruce Jenner days we now live in. He seems to just do soundtracks for Disney now. The Story Of A Rock And Roll Band always makes me laugh.

Santa Monica Blvd . . .  We love it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Bass players might be more astute than you'd think - McCartney, Sting, Gene, Waters, dude from U2 - all right up their among the wealthiest rockers of all time.

They all pay more tax, and likely give more to charity,  than any of us here too, so good luck to 'em.

I don't recall calling Bass Players non astute, I do remember calling Gene a tool though. I know Gene is a savvy business man, his net worth proves it.

According to what I looked up the 10 richest rock stars (4 of the 5 you mentioned are in the top 10) in the world right now are in order: Macca, The one who can not be named from U2, Bruuuuuuuuuuuce, Reginald Dwight aka Elton, BJ Jovi, Parrothead Guy, The bass player of The Police, Mick, Gene, and Peace And Love Ringo.

I wonder if all The Beatles were alive if they would all be in the top 10. George, that is a tough call and John not sure, but I would think at least all in the top 20 if alive.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't recall calling Bass Players non astute, I do remember calling Gene a tool though.

you don't have to recall it because wasn't put to you specifically - just a general 'you' meaning 'all of us' as money had been mentioned by folks in posts - ya know like we all talk about 'they'.

As for being a tool (?) - I dunno, never met him. maybe he's really short in real life for all I know. Who cares, he seems harmless enough... for a demon.

• Like 1

If you are into the band, I would recommend the book KISS and Sell.      Its a real objective straight up account of the original group from the beginning through the early 80s..    I won't spoil it, but there are some details in this book that really shed light on exactly why things went sideways.        I let my boss borrow it and he read the whole thing in a night.     Ace's book is good too.      

26 minutes ago, Nifty said:

If you are into the band, I would recommend the book KISS and Sell.      Its a real objective straight up account of the original group from the beginning through the early 80s..    I won't spoil it, but there are some details in this book that really shed light on exactly why things went sideways.        I let my boss borrow it and he read the whole thing in a night.     Ace's book is good too.      

Could it be they were huge in just a matter of years, were making money hand over fist and then Ace and Peter liked to booze and Coc it up (I don't think Gene or Paul were druggies)? I liked them when I was younger, but they are just another band than stayed around way to long and no one cared about them once they took the make-up off and so they put it back on. I can go back to the first 5 or so albums and regain my child hood, but a lot of their music is just not that good. They do put on a great show, but I have seen them 4 times and refuse to pay what they want for a ticket to the final tour.

19 minutes ago, Pinch said:

This is me in a nutshell: I don't like Kiss, but I just realized I've read all four guys' books. 

I've read none. I will watch the Kiss doc. I love rock docs and I even watch the one on my girls Taylor Swift, Lady Gada aka Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, and Amy Winehouse (even thought I loath all of their music, just to see if they had anything good to say).

I was watching the one the other day on Tina Turner. Its good, but I had a few beverages before I started it and fell asleep.  I'll start from the beginning again.

Her legs are amazing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've read none. I will watch the Kiss doc. I love rock docs and I even watch the one on my girls Taylor Swift, Lady Gada aka Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, and Amy Winehouse (even thought I loath all of their music, just to see if they had anything good to say).

I was watching the one the other day on Tina Turner. Its good, but I had a few beverages before I started it and fell asleep.  I'll start from the beginning again.

Her legs are amazing.

Of those girls you named, I only lean towards Tina.... the others are 'so-so'.  Amy COULD have been great....just didn't have time..... Lady Gaga is a great artist...I just can't stand her....and Taylor seems like a whiny *****.

38 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Of those girls you named, I only lean towards Tina.... the others are 'so-so'.  Amy COULD have been great....just didn't have time..... Lady Gaga is a great artist...I just can't stand her....and Taylor seems like a whiny *****.

Amy had a great voice but drugs were her undoing. Lady Gaga is doing nothing Kiss or Alice or Elton already did which is play dress up, and her music is not what I listen to, and Taylor has been many actor and musicians arm candy for quite some time, oh and her country phase was terrible and now she makes pop and dance music with is equally as awful.

Just now, ghost_of_fl said:

I'm sure she cries herself to sleep thinking about it - only 11 grammys (including three Album of the Year wins), an Emmy, 32 American Music Awards (most wins by an artist), 23 Billboard Music Awards (most wins by a female artist), 28 Guinness World Records, 12 Country Music Association Awards (including the Pinnacle Award), eight Academy of Country Music Awards, and a Brit Award.

If only she could earn the respect of some dude on the Gibson forum, then she could really feel successful.   😄

So you think any of those awards keep her warm at night?    Think she can share secret and tender moments with them?   Have you ever read the poem "Richard Cory" by Edwin Arlington Robinson?  I kinda feel sorry for her... she has zero ability to establish a lasting relationship with anyone.

16 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I'm sure she cries herself to sleep thinking about it - only 11 grammys (including three Album of the Year wins), an Emmy, 32 American Music Awards (most wins by an artist), 23 Billboard Music Awards (most wins by a female artist), 28 Guinness World Records, 12 Country Music Association Awards (including the Pinnacle Award), eight Academy of Country Music Awards, and a Brit Award.

If only she could earn the respect of some dude on the Gibson forum, then she could really feel successful.   😄

I could care less about musicians and actors as well, self congratulating themselves and giving themselves trophies for doing their job. I don't give a fuk about how many or even know how many Grammies The Beatles have or how many albums they have sold. I don't like their music for for the awards and accolades they got, I like their music cause to me its good. If I liked Miss Swifts music I would listen to it, but to me it was fake pop country when she was doing that, now she just makes bad pop music. Yes she has a following, so did G G Allin.

16 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

So you think any of those awards keep her warm at night?    Think she can share secret and tender moments with them?   Have you ever read the poem "Richard Cory" by Edwin Arlington Robinson?  I kinda feel sorry for her... she has zero ability to establish a lasting relationship with anyone.

THIS might interest you DANVILLROB----

I'm assuming you're familiar with the song?  I read the poem in a 7th grade Lit class textbook in '63.   And anyway, by now we all know that arts awards( Grammy, Oscar, etc.) are never a true testament of quality, right?

Whitefang

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

I'm assuming you're familiar with the song?  I read the poem in a 7th grade Lit class textbook in '63.   And anyway, by now we all know that arts awards( Grammy, Oscar, etc.) are never a true testament of quality, right?

Whitefang

I would keep Taylor warm at night as long as she keeps her yap shut.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Could it be they were huge in just a matter of years, were making money hand over fist and then Ace and Peter liked to booze and Coc it up (I don't think Gene or Paul were druggies)? I liked them when I was younger, but they are just another band than stayed around way to long and no one cared about them once they took the make-up off and so they put it back on. I can go back to the first 5 or so albums and regain my child hood, but a lot of their music is just not that good. They do put on a great show, but I have seen them 4 times and refuse to pay what they want for a ticket to the final tour.

That's part of it but the book fills in a lot of the blanks.    Each had their own "issues" and some of those are not glossed over.     

I will still listen to their 70s era music if I'm in the mood,  but not albums cover to cover or anything like that.

IMO, Ace put together the best songs they had.   Cold Gin and Parasite were his.   Much of the KISS sound as known back then,  the bends and the slides, was all Ace.   Buckcherry's Lit Up is a take from Shock Me.    His solo album was the only one to do anything.     Not that it's a verifiable fact, I've read accounts from people that bothered Gene and Paul to no end.   Ace was in high demand for a long time from bands whose members were influenced by KISS.    He did some performances with Skid Row.    

At the music awards,   Ace appeared with Tommy Lee,  Slash, Gilby Clark, Scott and Rob Zombie for this God Of Thunder Thing.   But I read this was the night he relapsed cause Slash gave him a shot or something.  

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Now, if you consider songwriters....you'd have to put Paul Simon in the top tier!