Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Concert

What was the worst concert or set you've ever seen live? Maybe the band had a bad night.  Maybe the band just wasn't that good to begin with.  Maybe technical issues.  

Example:

I saw AC/DC at MSG.  Their set was phenomenal .... However .... One of the 2 opening acts was "LA Guns".   It's already a mismatch, but it gets worse.   

For their entire set, there was screeching feedback.  It sounded like someone was holding a mic against a speaker - through the entire set.   I was 2nd row and it was LOUD.  Had my fingers in my ears for the whole set and always felt bad about that.  I wonder if it was intentional?  Maybe one of the band members hooked up with the sound guys girlfriend or something?  After their set, the feedback went away.  

• Sad 1

I saw America at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. 

John Sebastian opened for them.

I watch John actually come back on stage to tune one of the guy's in America's guitar!

Not the worst concert....but John Sebastian WAY out-shined America that day.

I saw James Taylor at Carowinds, just South of Charlotte, NC,  around 1981. First half of the concert was his acoustic stuff. I really enjoyed that half. Second half was the electric (LOUD) stuff. I walked out after the first electric song ended & did not return. 

Liberace. Yeah, he played the piano fine. But all his gay actions over & over again plus his weird costumes about made me puke. You guessed, "I was forced to go."  I did get a break and left though. Our newborn son started choking  and we had to get him breathing again. It was Deb, who wanted to see the concert.  I've been in super loud concerts I hated as I couldn't stand the extreme volume but nothing as worse as being forced to see Liberace. Deb had to repay me many favors as a result of that one. Lol. 

• Haha 2

I had to walk out on Skynryd, early to mid 70s  at Rich Stadium NY, missed several other acts as well, too many people and horrible sound plus temp of  100  F.  (plus the people heat) . Also,  the general seating on  floor (field)  sucked  (so many people ) The venue was horrible and I know the band would have been better anywhere else. Sad cause it was the only chance I had to see them...

• Sad 1

Camel during 70s. I had wanted to catch the support act Mick Abrahams Band, who were great. I stayed to see Camel and was underwhelmed. They were competent, but repetitious & completely uninspiring. I was utterly bored by them.

I have to add Devo to that. They were at a festival (Knebworth?). The crowd were unimpressed. Comments shouted along the lines of 'p1zz off, yer no f**kin good'. Cans chucked at them etc. They seemed to be some sort of novelty act more into their presentation than their content.

These examples were rare for me fortunately.

into the 80's the Dead just didn't seem to rise to the occasion like they were able to from time to time. very uninspired playing. just going through the motions. Garcia was heavy into Heroin off & on.   But there was one night in particular at the Spectrum in Philly, I'm thinking it was maybe '82 ... early 80's. Garcia was way off. couldn't remember any words, leaving out parts of songs ... it was bad. 

2nd worst show I've seen was Aaron Lewis a few years ago. his new persona of the outlaw country artist is a little too contrived & orchestrated.  I left early into his 3rd song.  I was there because Blackberry Smoke opened for him. 

October 18th, 1981 (the day before my 15th birthday) Candlestick Park in SF, California. Ever been to Candlestick Park. It's f-ing cold in the summer. Imagine October. The Rolling Stones were just awful and George Thorogood and The J Geils Band made them look silly.

Also a few years back I saw The Drive By Truckers on their 18th Anniversary. I've seen DBT about 11 times and they are always on fire. That night from the get go they were swigging out of a bottle of Patron all through the show. The other 10 times were fabulous.

Lastly I saw The Beach Boys at Marriott's Great America (a theme park) in 1984 or so and it was the only show I ever walked out on after about 5 songs. Me and my friends left and went and saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Those are the only ones that were awful that I can remember and I never used to go to shows high or drunk cause I wanted to remember them for what they were. If they were bad I wanted it not to be clouded by chemicals.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, jvi said:

I had to walk out on Skynryd, early to mid 70s  at Rich Stadium NY, missed several other acts as well, too many people and horrible sound plus temp of  100  F.  (plus the people heat) . Also,  the general seating on  floor (field)  sucked  (so many people ) The venue was horrible and I know the band would have been better anywhere else. Sad cause it was the only chance I had to see them...

a lot of artists had bad shows including hendrix  zepplin and more  -  the whole picture isnt a snap shot .- the stones library of music and the bands history speak louder than your disdain .

But hey that show was only one of many they played and they can't be judged on that one show.

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

a lot of artists had bad shows including hendrix  zepplin and more  -  the whole picture isnt a snap shot .- the stones library of music and the bands history speak louder than your disdain .

But hey that show was only one of many they played and they can't be judged on that one show.

tricky!!!   a  quote in a quote,!!     gotta say that was inventive....sounds like something Id say,   ...wow ! have a nice day and thanks for quoting me again keeps me entertained.....

• Sad 1

Dylan.  saw him in the 80's when Tom Petty was backing him up at RFK stadium.  awful. only reason I knew what he was singing was because I can quote his songs backwards in my sleep.  I love his music but you couldn't pay me to see him live if he was playing across the street from my house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

JVi  sort of actually said  "I know the band would have been better anywhere else."  Was criticizing the venue ...  no apparent disdain for  Lynyard ... didn't mention the Stones....?   Am I missing something Sarge?  Did JVi  edit his comment after you quoted him?  

Not gonna fall for  FLghost's trap -   My BEST concert was  Gillian Welch and David Rawlings.  No smoke and mirrors, just  perfect performances of great songs.  Got to hear the guitars and the vocals without electronics colorizing them. 

1 hour ago, jvi said:

tricky!!!   a  quote in a quote,!!     gotta say that was inventive....sounds like something Id say,   ...wow ! have a nice day and thanks for quoting me again keeps me entertained.....

You didn't say it, but it is exactly what you typed.

Glad you are entertained by what you wrote

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

29 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Not gonna fall for  FLghost's trap

Which trap was that?  🤔

Another rough set was when I saw Heart and Cheap Trick at Fordham University.  First of all, the acoustics in that venue are terrible.  The room is WAY to live with reverb.  

The other problem was apparently the entire audience was there only to see Heart.  I have never seen an entire audience literally ignore the opening act.   I liked Cheap Trick's set a lot - they played well, but the atmosphere sucked. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

Dylan.  saw him in the 80's when Tom Petty was backing him up at RFK stadium.  awful. only reason I knew what he was singing was because I can quote his songs backwards in my sleep.  I love his music but you couldn't pay me to see him live if he was playing across the street from my house. 

Oh shoot I forgot about the 3 times I saw Dylan. What a waste of money. Once I saw him with the Grateful Dead. The Dead were killer. Dylan not so much. The first time I saw he he could be understood. The last 2 he mumbled a lot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Which trap was that?  🤔

Another rough set was when I saw Heart and Cheap Trick at Fordham University.  First of all, the acoustics in that venue are terrible.  The room is WAY to live with reverb.  

The other problem was apparently the entire audience was there only to see Heart.  I have never seen an entire audience literally ignore the opening act.   I liked Cheap Trick's set a lot - they played well, but the atmosphere sucked. 

What year was it. Cheap Trick and Pat Travers in December of '79 was my very first rock show.

I've been to concerts others thought stunk...but I enjoyed....and vice-versa.

Pleasures are like guitars..... what's right for one might not be right for another.

Since I was a musician working with the biggest acts in the world, I went to a LOT of concerts as a young man.....some I didn't find enjoyable....others I still rave about.

I tend to favor an acoustic guy and his guitar....John Sebastian, Leo Kottke, Chuck Betty, (okay...his was an ES-335...but Un-Feckin'-Believable), etc.

Most of the concerts I ever went to were in the '70's.  And then not a lot either.  Worst in memory was an early '70's STEPPENWOLF   show at Detroit's Cobo arena.  Even the live LP they released sucked too.  Band is good on vinyl and terrible live.  Obviously, John Kay's LP vocals are heavily studio doctored.  The guy couldn't carry a tune in an olympic sized pool.

Whitefang

51 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I've been to concerts others thought stunk...but I enjoyed....and vice-versa.

Pleasures are like guitars..... what's right for one might not be right for another.

Since I was a musician working with the biggest acts in the world, I went to a LOT of concerts as a young man.....some I didn't find enjoyable....others I still rave about.

I tend to favor an acoustic guy and his guitar....John Sebastian, Leo Kottke, Chuck Betty, (okay...his was an ES-335...but Un-Feckin'-Believable), etc.

I SUCK at typing..... I type  VERY fast....just not very well.   Chuck Betty is actually Chuck Berry!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What year was it. Cheap Trick and Pat Travers in December of '79 was my very first rock show.

I forget, I think around 1992-1994ish.   Cheap Trick is an interesting act - the "frontman" doesn't say much, leaves that up to the guitar player.   I remember he must have had 50+ guitars on the stage all on stands. 

• Sad 1

Chuck was a long time BIG hero of mine.  And what was cool was back in '86 I saw him live for FREE!  [flapper]

HOW, you ask?   Well....

Back then they still ran the Detroit Grand Prix on the city streets(before moving them to Belle Isle)  And in Downtown's Hart Plaza they'd have free live concerts. (Hart Plaza is where Detroit would also hold their annual Montreux jazz fest) .  Most years would be well known local bands and artists, but THAT year  they somehow got Chuck to perform( And it too, was the year of his 60th birthday) And man!  He did NOT disappoint!   I got some good shots of him too.  

Whitefang  

Edited by Whitefang

30 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I forget, I think around 1992-1994ish.   Cheap Trick is an interesting act - the "frontman" doesn't say much, leaves that up to the guitar player.   I remember he must have had 50+ guitars on the stage all on stands. 

Dream Police was there last hurrah for me and by the next album not even the great George Martin could save that stinker.  The first 3 Cheap Trick albums I really like. The 1st is my fav.

I went to see Molly Hatchet at a small club in the suburbs of Chicago.  Not a huge fan, but thought it would be fun to see them in a small venue.  Turns out the lead guitar player got arrested on the way up to the show so they all switched around on the instruments and it didn't work out very well.  Stuck it out through the first set and then left.

A band I was in opened for Jorma Kaukonen and he was thought of as a great guitarist.  He sat on a chair with an acoustic guitar and plunked out a few rambling licks that I couldn't follow at all.  No vocals, no band backing him.  I stuck it our for about 20 minutes and left.  He appeared to be pretty strung out on something. 

Oh that reminds me.  This was more of a major messup.   My band was playing in a show with a few other "oldies" acts.   One of the bands did a cover of "Goody Goody" by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers.   One little problem with that - the Teenagers (minus Frankie Lymon) were also on the bill, and man were they ticked off. 

• Sad 1