Gibson Brands Forums

Type of guitar finish

Brend

From their site:

There’s nothing quite like a genuine “nitro” finish—for looks, for feel, for tone. Although many other respected manufacturers have moved to easier and more affordable finishing processes over the years, Gibson has always used nitrocellulose lacquer on all of our American-made guitars. Nitro entails a more time-consuming and labor-intensive finishing process, and it costs more as a result, but we feel it simply yields a better finish. You can get a very good finish with other compounds and other processes, but we want a great finish every time. It’s as simple as that.

Part of the mystique surrounding nitrocellulose lacquer is that this was the finish used by Gibson, and many other classic makers, in the heyday of the electric guitar, the 1950s and early ’60s. That’s true, but we’ve maintained the practice ever since, not only because it’s historically accurate, but because the results yield a superior look, feel, and tone by any standards—historic or contemporary.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

From their site:

There’s nothing quite like a genuine “nitro” finish—for looks, for feel, for tone. Although many other respected manufacturers have moved to easier and more affordable finishing processes over the years, Gibson has always used nitrocellulose lacquer on all of our American-made guitars. Nitro entails a more time-consuming and labor-intensive finishing process, and it costs more as a result, but we feel it simply yields a better finish. You can get a very good finish with other compounds and other processes, but we want a great finish every time. It’s as simple as that.

Part of the mystique surrounding nitrocellulose lacquer is that this was the finish used by Gibson, and many other classic makers, in the heyday of the electric guitar, the 1950s and early ’60s. That’s true, but we’ve maintained the practice ever since, not only because it’s historically accurate, but because the results yield a superior look, feel, and tone by any standards—historic or contemporary.

so basically they are saying that "Nitro" is the secret sauce that sets Gibson guitars apart from every other guitar in the universe...

do I have that right?  what do I win?  Maybe a Nitro Safe guitar stand or clip on Tuner???  

13 minutes ago, kidblast said:

so basically they are saying that "Nitro" is the secret sauce that sets Gibson guitars apart from every other guitar in the universe...

do I have that right?  what do I win?  Maybe a Nitro Safe guitar stand or clip on Tuner???  

18 series and above guitars are nitro on Martins, so Gibson is not unique in the guitar making universe.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

18 series and above guitars are nitro on Martins, so Gibson is not unique in the guitar making universe.

yes, for sure,, I'm aware of that,  (That was tounge in cheek reply,, but I'm sure you're hip to that)

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

yes, for sure,, I'm aware of that,  (That was tounge in cheek reply,, but I'm sure you're hip to that)

Yeah. I've had guitars sprayed with Poly and never had an issue. Warmoth does and I believe Fender as well.

I could care less about what they are finished with as long as they sound good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I thought the historic, classic guitar (and violin) makers  used 'French Lacquer' back in the early years.

The history of lacquers on musical instruments is very interesting, if you're into that sort of thing. The very oldest treatment of woods on fine musical instruments I'm guessing goes back to Italian violins, which were treated with oxidizing oils mainly derived from trees or vegetable seeds and nuts, like linseed (flax seed) and walnut oils. It is likely oil soluble tree rosins may have found their way into those early lacquers. "French Lacquer" was somewhat later used (18th century), and it contained shellac resins derived from the secretions of the female lac bug.  Nitrocellulose, cellulose treated with nitric acid, wasn't used to treat wood and guitars until the early 1900s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Hey Night Hawk  ...  Staying up late? 

Nope sorry bud, not me tagging you up. I thought you and @Mr Gibson are the ones who have been tagging me for the last oh, pandemic consumed months... Finally checked out yours and @Mr Gibson profiles to see if I’m right... I may never know. You and this other guy have had some contention with my content so whatever. Take this to another thread or personally message me if you want to discuss anything as not to make this thread a dumpster fire. Take it to the vaccine thread, why not... Seems to be where the battle wants to propagate to stupidity since people are getting nasty there. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Nope sorry bud, not me tagging you up. I thought you and @Mr Gibson are the ones who have been tagging me for the last oh, pandemic consumed months... Finally checked out yours and @Mr Gibson profiles to see if I’m right... I may never know. You and this other guy have had some contention with my content so whatever. Take this to another thread or personally message me if you want to discuss anything as not to make this thread a dumpster fire. Take it to the vaccine thread, why not... Seems to be where the battle wants to propagate to stupidity since people are getting nasty there. 

That sad faced emoji above- not from me.  Believe it or don't believe it.   Better yet - ignore them.   I consider them just as  worthwhile as the happy faces.  I posted a comment on the "Vaccine" thread as you suggested.   I had written, last time you asked  to engage back 11 days ago  that I was done with that thread.  But,  since I've gotten dozens of sad emojis and you all only a handful - I thought I should point that out.   Take Care.  We probably agree on a lot more than we disagree on.