Gibson Brands Forums

Gray LP Axcess gets a makeover (improvement)

Staxman

I just love how my gunmetal gray Axcess plays and sounds, but as much as I like the dark gray color I just couldn't warm up to the overall cosmetic look of this guitar. I think Gibson chose poorly on the look of this guitar, which would explain why the gray ones don't appear to be selling very fast like the ice-teas. So I put nickel PUP covers on, and swapped out the pickup rings and toggle switch ring for black ones and exchanged the gold top-hat knobs for black speed knobs. I also replaced the white plastic jack plate with a chrome metal one.

BIG improvement IMO. It's sort of a Custom/Standard hybrid theme and now I just love how this guitar looks, and although I'm sure it's probably just in my head, I swear it plays and sounds better now. The PUP covers do smooth out the tone of the Burkbusters a bit, it is a little less bright than before which I like. Next I'm considering installing the new Graph-Tech Floyd Rose bridge that has the acoustic/piezo saddles built in.

If you choose to do this take note:

1. The neck pickup ring is the standard ring that is readily available, but the bridge ring is smaller than other Gibson bridge rings, a non-standard size and I couldn't find one anywhere, so I just took a standard black bridge ring and using the white one from the Axcess as a template, I sanded down the bottom of the new ring to the proper height.

2. The Axcess has neck pole spacing on BOTH PUPS, so you need two neck position covers for the PUPS (only use real Gibson's, others don't fit).

Here are some before/after pics.

GrayAxcess004.jpg

GrayAxcessMods006.jpg

GrayAxcessMods002.jpg

Hey Gibson, how bout my own signature model that looks like this!

Looks great man, I love it!

And regarding the PU covers: I learned this the hard way.

Got covers for my LP faded and the spacing of the bridge cover was wrong!

No one told me that when I ordered the parts. And they knew which guitar they were for.

Now I'll have to get the proper fitting cover,take the strings off again etc.

Bummer!!

• 7 months later...
I just love how my gunmetal gray Axcess plays and sounds' date=' but as much as I like the dark gray color I just couldn't warm up to the overall cosmetic look of this guitar. I think Gibson chose poorly on the look of this guitar, which would explain why the gray ones don't appear to be selling very fast like the ice-teas. So I put nickel PUP covers on, and swapped out the pickup rings and toggle switch ring for black ones and exchanged the gold top-hat knobs for black speed knobs. I also replaced the white plastic jack plate with a chrome metal one.

BIG improvement IMO. It's sort of a Custom/Standard hybrid theme and now I just love how this guitar looks, and although I'm sure it's probably just in my head, I swear it plays and sounds better now. The PUP covers do smooth out the tone of the Burkbusters a bit, it is a little less bright than before which I like. Next I'm considering installing the new Graph-Tech Floyd Rose bridge that has the acoustic/piezo saddles built in.

If you choose to do this take note:

1. The neck pickup ring is the standard ring that is readily available, but the bridge ring is smaller than other Gibson bridge rings, a non-standard size and I couldn't find one anywhere, so I just took a standard black bridge ring and using the white one from the Axcess as a template, I sanded down the bottom of the new ring to the proper height.

2. The Axcess has neck pole spacing on BOTH PUPS, so you need two neck position covers for the PUPS (only use real Gibson's, others don't fit).

Here are some before/after pics.

[img']http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/staxman1/GrayAxcess004.jpg[/img]

GrayAxcessMods006.jpg

GrayAxcessMods002.jpg

Hey Gibson, how bout my own signature model that looks like this!

They may play and sound incredible but the color is les desireable. However, the looks of the guitar is not piority to the player. As long as it's not hideous. for an example... the LP Playboy guitar would look real cute for a death metal guitarist to be playing on up on stage.

I think it's better-looking. I also LIKE the gray.

I'm weird, I DON'T like 'bursts that aren't Silver'bursts.

But that means there are more for the rest of you who DO like them. We don't have to share. ;-)

As you could tell from my avatar I prefer to see the wood without coloring. However, I like this gray.

Archived