Gibson Brands Forums

What's the difference between 59 VOS and 59 Reissue?

Ren

Hmmm...

Good question.

In my opinion - no.

The RI is a reasonably well-done reissue of the original as it was made back then except for the milky-looking red fill and stain on the Mahogany. The VOS is a contrived bunch of corporate baloney - overpriced and overhyped.

Sorry, I'm not paying money for a guitar that should have been sent back to finishing and buffing before the nasty-looking hardware was stuck in it. Incredible guitars, but way too much marketing gimmickry for me to ever buy one.

Is a VOS actually a reissue?

I've never really seen them referred to as such.

VOS refers to the dull finish and aged hardware.

a 1959 Historic Reissue and a 1959 Historic Reissue VOS are the same guitar except for finish/dullhardware.

Do not let Gibson or anyone else tell you otherwise.

And for the record Neo, a VOS is cheaper than a non-VOS. So you dont have to pay anyone to abuse your guitar, you pay them to buff it a bit more.

VOS means "Vintage On Inspection" which means they make it look old. The 59 Reissue is all shiny and new.

VOS stands for Vintage Original Specifications, but you are correct that VOS only affects the finish/hardware.

Well thanks for the swift replies guys. That's what I thought, but I was looking over the Gibson Custom website and for both the VOS and the Reissue, it said you could have either a gloss or VOS finish. This is what really confused me. I think they just cut and paste the text!

I just checked again, and in fact if you look at the web pages for the 59 VOS and 59 Reissue, it's exactly the same guitar, which has been artifically contrast-stretched to look dimmer - check out the detail of the maple...

NeoCon, I really understand what you're saying man and struggeld with the hype too - I'm not a fan of things made to look old, but I actually prefer the duller finish on the CHSB - not so blingy, which some flaming and bright chrome/nickel can appear to me. Basically I wanna be Jimmy Page and his 59 was pretty plain..

Cheers.

My understanding is that a VOS can be buffed out and a shiny finish is lurking under all that smeared cheese look.

That would be my plan if I ever bought one;

Strip all the components out of it, buff the body to a spiffy shine and replace the "aged" hardware with new stuff.

Ebay the "Highly desireable VOS hardware from a New Les Paul" and get my money back for the new stuff I bought.

it can but it will never look 100% like a gloss.

the easiest thing to do would be to pony up the extra $300 and get the gloss.

i for one like the "aged" hardware, but i did take Virtuoso to my R9 to brighten her up a bit.

Sorry' date=' I'm not paying money for a guitar that should have been sent back to finishing and buffing before the nasty-looking hardware was stuck in it. Incredible guitars, but way too much marketing gimmickry for me to ever buy one.

[/quote']

You haven't played one, obviously? I find that people who knock them haven't played them and are just going by what they've read. Here they are side-by-side. They're both reissues, one has the gloss finish, the other has the VOS finish.

Is it really worth paying $300 for a shinny tailpiece, bridge & pickup covers?

R850th020.jpg

I spent $30 on Virtuoso Cleaner & Polish and applied it to the R8. It looks like a brand new guitar, except for the metal. Five years from now, the glossy R9s hardware will look old; so, what's the big deal about?

You haven't played one' date=' obviously? [/quote']

Yes, Tim.

I've played several.

You might look at my post again where I mentioned they were incredible guitars.

I didn't pull that out of my *** to appease you overly sensitive VOS sucker, er, owners....

:-)

I find that people who knock them haven't played them and are just going by what they've read.

Tim' date=' do you have [b']any idea [/b]who you're talking to?

I think you do, and I think you know that statement would be untrue.

If not, I haven't spread my opinion well enough - I'll try harder. (Heh, heh, heh......)

While we're going there, I would dare to say I've held more VOS LP's in my hand than YOU have.

I have my favorite dealer Bizarre Guitar here with a dozen of them on the wall right now, plus 4 Guitar Centers in town.

I've met many wealthy collectors, work with a very learned dealer, and played a Les Paul or two...

Here they are side-by-side. They're both reissues' date=' one has the gloss finish, the other has the VOS finish.[/quote']

Nice!

Is it really worth paying $300 for a shinny tailpiece' date=' bridge & pickup covers?[/quote']

Damn right.

If you gave me your VOS for free it would get the same make over.

I stand by my previous statements - the whole VOS thing is a marketing ploy by Gibson.

In twenty years, you may be the butt of endless jokes if you own one.

Look at some of the stupid stuff Gibson has done over the years, this is no different but at least it sells.

I spent $30 on Virtuoso Cleaner & Polish and applied it to the R8. It looks like a brand new guitar' date=' except for the metal.[/quote']

Ah....

So YOU don't care for the VOS look either?

Um, why are you arguing with me - and yourself?

Five years from now' date=' the glossy R9s hardware will look old; so, what's the big deal about?

[/quote']

C'mon Tim.

I like you, you're a sharp guy.

If you wanna smack somebody around via the internet you'll need to look for somebody your own size.

I have guitars made in the fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties and the hardware looks pristine on all but one.

Yep, the SG 12-string with gold.

Blech....

Hey Neo, I'm not arguing with anybody. I know you have something like 82 guitars and I'm pretty sure only one of them is a Les Paul. A Classic Plus, I think; so, that's why I asked if you've played a historic. You're obviously a guitar freak but not a Les Paul freak, specifically. :P

VOS isn't a marketing ploy...not to me, anyways. It really is cost savings being passed onto the consumer. You get a $3,400 guitar for $3,100. What's wrong with that? The only difference is the $3,100 guitar is not as shinny as the $3,400 guitar but with a little elbow grease you can make the top shine!

I do like the look of the hardware on VOS finished guitars, the white wavy lines on the wood were the reason I polished it. Virtuoso is only for the wood, not the hardware. The aged hardware looks great in my opinion. I've only seen real '50s bursts in pictures and from the looks of things, the hardware on a burst look just like the hardware on a historic VOS. That's why Gibson offers VOS - to give you the illusion that you've playing an old guitar.

What I do consider a marketing ploy by Gibson is calling these reissues, reissues of 1957 or 1959 Gibson Les Pauls. They're not replicas of the original bursts; so, why call them '1959 reissues? Marketing...

I stand by my previous statements - the whole VOS thing is a marketing ploy by Gibson.

In twenty years' date=' you may be the butt of endless jokes if you own one.[/quote']

In 20 years, my high gloss R9 will look the exact same as my VOS R9.

Hey Neo' date=' I'm not arguing with anybody. I know you have something like 82 guitars and I'm pretty sure only one of them is a Les Paul. A Classic Plus, I think; [/quote']

You got me!!

Well, I'm down to two Les Pauls, the Classic and a Deluxe Goldtop. Still, it's my favorite style.

I went on a binge collecting all the other stuff because I wanted more than the same old LP/Strat combo.

How did I wind up with 5 SG's? I never really liked the SG....

Now I have the freedom to lean back toward the mighty Les Paul. Maybe a Tele or two, I'm good on Strats.

so' date=' that's why I asked if you've played a historic. You're obviously a guitar freak but not a Les Paul freak, specifically. [/quote']

Hmmm...

Well I suppose it IS a matter of degrees, eh?

I have the LP fever bad, and I've played many of the historics, but I'm more interested in the regular production stuff they've done thru the years.

Don't get me wrong, my Les Paul wish list is about twenty pieces, and I've already sold four over the years - dammit!

I do indeed want, need and desire a R6, a couple different R7's, couple R9's, R0, and a couple different 68's.

After that, it's a crap shoot - I'm always looking at used Les Pauls but I will consider only 9/10 condition.

VOS isn't a marketing ploy...not to me' date=' anyways. It really is cost savings being passed onto the consumer.[/quote']

There are cost savings to be had at Gibson too - that's why they do it.

Reminds me of the late seventies/early eighties when all the carmakers shrunk their vehicles down.

Look at all the 4-door cars and the new "child safety" features, especially GM.

They made a marketing positive from windows that would only drop halfway down inside the door.

Was it to keep your kiddies from falling out a fully opened window? Of course not!

It was because the back doors were so damned short and rear wheel well took up all the available lower door space.

The glass would not physically fit down in the door.

So to get the public to buy into this stupidity they called them "child safety" features and all the moms said "Oh..." thinking how horrible it would be for one of their little darlings to climb out of a moving car.

Mom thinks it's a safe car, so that's what dad writes the check on.

Those windows are with us still (look around on the road) and they are STILL stupid.

THAT'S a little glimpse into the great mind that drives the NeoCon Empire....

the white wavy lines on the wood were the reason I polished it.

Okay' date=' now THAT's f-ing cool!

The aged hardware looks great in my opinion.

Yech!!!

(One man's opinion.)

I've only seen real '50s bursts in pictures and from the looks of things' date=' the hardware on a burst look just like the hardware on a historic VOS. That's why Gibson offers VOS - to give you the illusion that you've playing an old guitar.[/quote']

Illusions drive sales.

The hardware doesn't HAVE to look like that, not all of it does.

I will guarantee you none of mine will in twenty years, I've owned one of my Strats for 16.

What I do consider a marketing ploy by Gibson is calling these reissues' date=' reissues of 1957 or 1959 Gibson Les Pauls. They're not replicas of the original bursts; so, why call them '1959 reissues? Marketing... [/quote']

Marketing... indeed.

In 20 years' date=' my high gloss R9 will look the exact same as my VOS R9. [/quote']

Tim, I think you're gonna be disappointed.

You polish, clean, and care for your guitars too good for that to happen.

Maybe you'll be buying "aged VOS" parts from me on Ebay in 20 years when I'm doing my thing...

You're welcome on the Schaller installation tips. Just trying to pass on hard lessons the easy way.

Be cool Tim!

So you guys are good?......right? lol

Hah!

Yeah' date=' me and Tim piss on each other's shoes now and then but he's a good guy.

DB, my wife saw your signature/avatar pic and says [b']"He has nice stuff, eh?"[/b]

There you have it, from the elementary school teacher/Church Lady.

She knows good gear when she sees it - even though she can't play Smoke On The Water to save her life....

VOS means "Vintage On Inspection" which means they make it look old. The 59 Reissue is all shiny and new.
Actually VOS stands for "Vintage Original Specifications", which means they are built to the "exact" specs as the original (Body shape/thickness, top carve, neck/headstock shape, hardware, ect). A reissue is made to mainly look (cosmetically) like the originals (Style/color of the top and back, ect).

Wrong.

Sorry...

Same guitar.

Less shine' date=' aged hardware on the VOS is my understanding.

[/quote']Reissues have less "vintage" detail to the overal feel of the guitar, than the the VOS, which are made 100% like the old, late '50s LPs, which makes me wonder why, a regular RI is a bout $2,000 more than the VOS?O:)

Archived