Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge lifting on my 3 year old Legend J-45......

Mr.Woody

So, while practicing this morning, I discovered that the bridge has started lifting on my Legend J-45. I bought it new from Chicago Music Exchange so I know it will be covered under warranty and backed by both Gibson and CME, but I'm just super disappointed / sad /frustrated / anxious about it. I really love this guitar, and I'm not sure was having it fixed will do to the sound. I also don't really want them to refinish the top. I love the way the burst looks and even the fact that it has scratches on it from me. I know it needs to be done, but just wish it didn't happen to begin with. I've taken great care of it, left it in the case when not playing it, kept it humidified, heck, I think I've even started wiping down the strings more often LOL all that to say I've taken care of this guitar like I've never taken care of a guitar before. 

So many questions I have about this now. Will this do anything to the value? Do you think they would end up changing anything on it, or just removing the bridge and re gluing it? Do you think it will change the sound? Etc. Can you guys ease my mind on this a little bit?

Here's a couple pictures, let me know if you can't see them.

It's not terrible, but I guess it never is right when it starts.

ABSRlIpINvTcQE_cgVgr1tnqxuuklPTEm8YfXcON

yrFtyPeyhfPzyCotaq3dn5gOsc3zuIYvU3Pmg8AK

Edited by Mr.Woody

If they repair it properly. Which there is no reason why they wouldnt. It will be fine.    Theyll pop the bridge. Clean up the area. And install a new one.   Im guessing it was Hyde glue from the factory . Ask if it will be replaced with the same.  Also if the bridge lifted. Make sure the bridge plates okay.      As for the sound of your guitar.  I dont think it will hurt it.     They might dial it in better.  

A few years ago, out of the blue, my bridge lifted during a gig I was playing at on my 2006 Gibson 1964 J-45 Custom Shop guitar.  I continued on during the gig, but called an authorized Gibson repairman during a break time.  A few days later I brought it to him and he called Gibson while I was there and received their authorization to repair it under its new guitar warrantee.   A few weeks later the instrument was back in my possession as good as new with the bridge newly reglued down.  No damage.  Good as new! 
That’s why there are skilled authorized Gibson repair people and new guitar warrantees.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

As has been stated, there will be no top refinishing as part of a bridge re-glue.

The Legends are built completely using natural hide glue--the old-fashioned way--and I would reiterate that I wanted the repair done properly, using hide glue, just so the guitar remains "as-built."

1 hour ago, Mr.Woody said:

Thanks guys. That is helpful info. I wonder if CME falls in that category, it if I would do better somewhere else.

Any recommendations in the Chicagoland area?

CME is great to work with. They'll do what's right and take care of you. I speak from experience.

As they say "No Gibson is Glued Enough."  Generally with Gibson though it is loose brace syndrome.

As others are saying this absolutely nothing to lose a wink of sleep over.  I do not think though it has anything to do with hot hide glue especially on that new of a guitar.  If hide glue was the culprit I would have bridges popping off all day long.  

57 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

As they say "No Gibson is Glued Enough."  Generally with Gibson though it is loose brace syndrome.

As others are saying this absolutely nothing to lose a wink of sleep over.  I do not think though it has anything to do with hot hide glue especially on that new of a guitar.  If hide glue was the culprit I would have bridges popping off all day long.  

Funny you should say that.  About the glue.     I had bought a brand new 41 Authentic D28 some time ago.  About 7 months into owning it.  I could feel raised edges from binding to wood. especially  at the end pin butt area.  The whole body was  separating. . 

18 minutes ago, slimt said:

Funny you should say that.  About the glue.     I had bought a brand new 41 Authentic D28 some time ago.  About 7 months into owning it.  I could feel raised edges from binding to wood. especially  at the end pin butt area.  The whole body was  separating. . 

Could you elaborate on that whole thing, and how it was resolved?

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

Could you elaborate on that whole thing, and how it was resolved?

I gave it back to Martin after I found out the Martin Warranty repair krazy glued all the areas  and refinished the whole body.  Apparently Martin did not use enough Hyde glue. My guess trying to keep it clean on the inside.      Or not liquid (hot)enough to seep in to the wood properly. ( Ive read how sloppy hyde  glue is on the insides  , sometimes being sloppy is a good thing knowing theres product holding a guitar together)   

The 28 Im sure slipped through the cracks on final inspection. 

I own a few prewar Original Martins  , I dont think anyone was concerned about over usage at that time  . As brittle as they are from years gone by , there holding together great   . 

I bought a 00042 Madi authentic a year ago. Beautiful tight sounding guitar.  And I am watching that one daily to see if it does the same thing.     My room for these is at 45% humidity. 65 to 70f temp. Nothing against out side walls or concrete floors. 

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

The actual saying is "only a Gibson is glued enough", a parody of the wording of the banner logo.

The joke doesn't escape me, but it was spun in such a way that it became a falsehood. If we stuck to the truth more, perhaps there wouldn't be so many falsehoods.

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The joke doesn't escape me, but it was spun in such a way that it became a falsehood. If we stuck to the truth more, perhaps there wouldn't be so many falsehoods.

And stopped citing opinions as being facts and not just opinions.

RBSinTo

8 hours ago, Mr.Woody said:

Thanks guys. That is helpful info. I wonder if CME falls in that category, it if I would do better somewhere else.

Any recommendations in the Chicagoland area?

I suggest contacting Gibson Customer Service and asking them how to proceed for a warranty repair.  Make sure you ask if you can directly contact an authorized Gibson repair person in your area.  Also, ask Gibson if CME is who you should contact about the warranty issue.  Sometimes Gibson prefers that the authorized repair person picks up the guitar from an authorized Gibson dealer rather than the guitar owner working directly with the Gibson authorized repair person.  The best thing to start with is calling Gibson customer service.   Somewhere on Gibsons  website, it says how to contact their customer service.

Regarding CME, they have an excellent reputation in all regards.   And, they may end up being the ones you work with on this, but I suggest calling Gibson first.  

Hope this helps.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

When I did my return, CME contacted Gibson, furnished me with a shipping label and constantly monitored the progress of the repair and kept me updated. They have a lot more influence on Gibson and know who to call. They talk to them all the time. 

Thanks everyone. This really is helpful. Unfortunately I'm on night shift 7p-7a 7 days a week right now, so I haven't quite fit the call in. I do have tomorrow off, but my sleep hours don't quite line up with CME store hours.

I suppose it'll have to wait a few weeks until this job ends.

Thanks again!!!!

Well, I just sent an email over to Vince Wynne at Gibson. He helped me previously when I was trying to obtain a COA for my guitar, so it seemed smart to just continue that email thread with him. Hopefully he'll point me in the right direction. Anyway, I did make a video to share with Vince along with the pictures just so he can see it. Thanks again for all the help guys. I'm feeling better about this, and even played for a little while tonight......man that guitar sounds great!!!!