Gibson Brands Forums

New old L-00

CJB

Wow, that's a beauty ZW!  I bet it's sweet too.  What strings do you like on it?

Speaking of headstock logo stuff - my briefly owned 53 LG1 looked identical to BK's.  That guitar was a tank and the top thickness was nearly 2x thicker than my L-00.  

1 hour ago, CJB said:

Wow, that's a beauty ZW!  I bet it's sweet too.  What strings do you like on it?

Speaking of headstock logo stuff - my briefly owned 53 LG1 looked identical to BK's.  That guitar was a tank and the top thickness was nearly 2x thicker than my L-00.  

Thanx.  I owned a 1946 LG2 and it was built like a tank compared to the L1.  While the 12 fret guitars are in a class by themselves (the last 12 fret L-00 rolled out of Kalamazoo in 1931) one thing I really do like about the 14 fret guitars is they tend to have a sharper attack while the thinner wood combines with the knife edge thin back bracing to give these guitars an amazing resonance.  

Because of the  light build I tend to err on the side of caution and  have been sticking with low tension strings.  I prefer Newtone Heritage but it appears the factory  was temporarily shut down by the pandemic.  At the moment mine is strung with GHS thin cores which I can buy right down the road.  When it comes time for a change I have a set of Straight Up 11 gauge which will be going on.  These balance and lessen the torque on the bridge which considering the wafer thin bridge plates Gibson used should have the guitars breathing a sigh of relief.  

Edited by zombywoof

I like the L00 '32 Reissue I have. It appears to be built close to the Legend specs without the VOS finish. I've been impressed with the aged top on the SJ. I like the comfort of my NL 12-fret. I've been thinking about trying to order an L00 built to legend specs except aged top, 12 fret, 1.75" nut, C neck profile, 25" scale. 

15 hours ago, jedzep said:

My shop guy isn't good for all things. He did a masterful restoration of the back of my '35, but soon after dropped all refinishing from the menu.

Hey, BK, what's up with that clean white script logo pictured?  Was that re-touched?

I'm getting old hat at logo restoration. The J50 came out looking fine, so I'll pick my moment and hopefully nail it, probably using the Stew-Mac or Mohawk (Silk or Champagne) lacquer, as they don't offer BKs glitter finish. Mohawk has a good range of colors. Do you see a color on the chart that comes in close to Chris' faded tone?
https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/products/wood-touch-up-repair/aerosols/tone-finish-toner/

piox1Zf.jpg

This one? Maybe, though I don't think it has been painted over?

IiNNNTGh.jpg

(It is the headstock of my 1935 Gibson Black Special No 4! - Just seeing if JZ was on his toes - he is!!!)

TfNmGsSh.jpg

BluesKing777.

9 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Thanx.  I owned a 1946 LG2 and it was built like a tank compared to the L1.  While the 12 fret guitars are in a class by themselves (the last 12 fret L-00 rolled out of Kalamazoo in 1931) one thing I really do like about the 14 fret guitars is they tend to have a sharper attack while the thinner wood combines with the knife edge thin back bracing to give these guitars an amazing resonance.  

Because of the  light build I tend to err on the side of caution and  have been sticking with low tension strings.  I prefer Newtone Heritage but it appears the factory  was temporarily shut down by the pandemic.  At the moment mine is strung with GHS thin cores which I can buy right down the road.  When it comes time for a change I have a set of Straight Up 11 gauge which will be going on.  These balance and lessen the torque on the bridge which considering the wafer thin bridge plates Gibson used should have the guitars breathing a sigh of relief.  

Thanks.  I have to say the more I play this guitar the more I learn about it - it's a whole lot of fun getting these thick fat tones out of it.  I think I'll try to try some Martin Monel Light or custom light strings on it next.  I like those on my 0017.   

This guitar has made me curious about those older 12 fret L's and especially mahogany topped 12 fretters.  Hmmm, those are rare and expensive though so I will be content with what I have for now.  

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

I found a few photos of my '37 I have not shown a million times! (It was a blacktop once, apparently):

Click here to see a large version

do0YZtNh.jpg

BluesKing777.

BK, I love the wood on that one!  How long have you had it?  Are you happy with that pickup?

49 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I like the L00 '32 Reissue I have. It appears to be built close to the Legend specs without the VOS finish. I've been impressed with the aged top on the SJ. I like the comfort of my NL 12-fret. I've been thinking about trying to order an L00 built to legend specs except aged top, 12 fret, 1.75" nut, C neck profile, 25" scale. 

Dave, that sounds fantastic.  Your Reissue is one that seems quite special too but I like your idea of the custom 12 fret.  

4 hours ago, CJB said:

BK, I love the wood on that one!  How long have you had it?  Are you happy with that pickup?

Pickup fairly useless but was photographed for some reason not remembered! Fishman Neo D hang from the soundhole, no install.

The old guitar - I bought around 2012/3 approx and it was kaput - previous owner had experimented with a 'few things' like shaving bits off, removing finish (black), adding their own version of bling, hand made that rattled, a fretboard from some kind of driftwood complete with wormholes! Rattled buzzed and unplayable. Stunk.

2014 approx - had luthier inspect and then he suggested neck set, new fingerboard, bridge, saddle, nut, tuners, remove decor. Took longer than building a car at home, I remember. Came back with neck set, ebony fretboard, bridge, faceplate, bone nut, saddle, Kluson tuners etc. Still stinks. Which leads me to the thought of 'never again' and my love of reissues! And you can just go in a shop and buy a Waterloo WL-14X! Couldn't then!

Here is a link to an old thread with the same cast of characters, ha ha, that may interest you - but let me tell you that my CEO7 has come ahead in leaps and bounds since - took a long while to open out and now, phew! The others mentioned are good guitars but I don't know what has happened with the CEO7, the tone has just become deep and wide! Martin with a Gibson shape! I have played the Waterloos and the CEO7 a real lot lately, the old Gibson and Blues King, not much. Sorry, the thread photos got taken back by Photobucket....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

11 hours ago, CJB said:

This guitar has made me curious about those older 12 fret L's and especially mahogany topped 12 fretters.  Hmmm, those are rare and expensive though so I will be content with what I have for now.  

The rarest of the rare would be an early-L guitar with an elevated fretboard.  I have never even gotten my hands on one but they just look so darn cool.

34 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The rarest of the rare would be an early-L guitar with an elevated fretboard.  I have never even gotten my hands on one but they just look so darn cool.

Yes they do!