Gibson Brands Forums

Is this one of the best Gibson Les Paul customs ever done up post Gibson?

Each to there own opinion on this one, but this is NOT a Chibson! This is a Les Paul Standard that was been worked on by one of the best know luthiers in the UK, Martin Sims https://www.sims.guitars/

What are your views, what would have have done differently? Do you like it? Do you hate it? 

https://youtu.be/teG25GqcC9k

There are children on our YouTube channel as we are a music school, so pretty please, keep it clean :-)

I am really existed to hear your comments and what you would have done differently. Thanks for your time folks :-)

Not to my taste at all... And the fact that the Darkness bloke uses one similar makes it even less appealing.... 

Just far too blingy for me and never really been a fan of the silver burst type finish....

Looks like they did a good job though.   Happy playing.

• Like 1

I do have to agree with Rabs on a few points though;
Silverburst has never been my thing,
and, 
the Justin Hawkins model is admittedly blingy. 

What I like about yours is the execution. 
The silver paint in the middle is nice and large in the meta-flake department. 
Big sparkles. 

And the Bigsby is nicely done. 
I thought that maybe I wouldn't like the idea of the mirrored flame inlay, but it's growing on me. 

Great job by all concerned!!

😉

54 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Not to my taste at all... And the fact that the Darkness bloke uses one similar makes it even less appealing.... 

Just far too blingy for me and never really been a fan of the silver burst type finish....

Fair shout, I'm not a bit fan of the darness either, just what a whopper of a guitar!

55 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Cheers man! 🙂

50 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I do have to agree with Rabs on a few points though;
Silverburst has never been my thing,
and, 
the Justin Hawkins model is admittedly blingy. 

What I like about yours is the execution. 
The silver paint in the middle is nice and large in the meta-flake department. 
Big sparkles. 

And the Bigsby is nicely done. 
I thought that maybe I wouldn't like the idea of the mirrored flame inlay, but it's growing on me. 

Great job by all concerned!!

😉

See I have had so many different guitars (my wives makes me sell them, cow) so  I like to go for the more outlandish ones now, something that no one else has.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MorningsidePB said:

See I have had so many different guitars (my wives makes me sell them, cow) so  I like to go for the more outlandish ones now, something that no one else has.

I also went through a weird Gibson phase..  At one point as well as my LPs ,I had a Gary Moore BFG (look up BFGs if you havent seen one), a non reverse three P90 firebird and a Flying V... And I had wanted a Nighthawk but missed out on that.. 

1 hour ago, MorningsidePB said:

Fair shout, I'm not a bit fan of the darness either, just what a whopper of a guitar!

I thought their first album was ok BUT the over use of his falsetto voice just becomes irritating.. And sadly that kind of makes everything they do a bit of a joke which I know in some ways is intentional but not cool really. Cant take anything they do seriously at all. Justin is kind of like the Alan Partridge of rock.. Desperately wants to be cool but just isnt. Its just my opinion, but maybe if they had taken it all a bit more seriously, they could have been a really good band.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was some very nice work to replicate it.  However, this would definitely fall in the "definitely not for me ..." category as I am not a fan of silver-burst or sparkle (let alone both), and the added tuning issues of a Bigsby (they sure look cool, though, no doubt).  But the clear miss, to me, is the lack of headstock binding which kinda makes it look a little naked for a LPC.  Also, while it is not that obvious in the pics due to resolution, I think a LPC with single-ply "standard" neck/body binding also would look out of place.  Now this will likely be really off putting to many here, but I really like the original ebony Les Paul Standard ... bone stock.  Not a hater, though ... really.

(I skimmed through the video, so if they addressed the above issues, I apologize)

• Like 2

I must confess, The Darkness, as a band, is a bit of a mystery to me. 
Never heard of them before this day. 

In between some motorcycle maintenance and gardening today, I caught up on some of their songs. 

I can't tell from just a few videos whether their over-the-top rock and roll antics are meant to be campy schlock, or whether they are  serious. 
Either way, I kind of like it. 
The song Rock And Roll Deserves To Die is especially good. 

🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I must confess, The Darkness, as a band, is a bit of a mystery to me. 
Never heard of them before this day. 

In between some motorcycle maintenance and gardening today, I caught up on some of their songs. 

I can't tell from just a few videos whether their over-the-top rock and roll antics are meant to be campy schlock, or whether they are  serious. 
Either way, I kind of like it. 
The song Rock And Roll Deserves To Die is especially good. 

🙂

Well, when they first came out they were being described as a cross between AC/DC and Queen..  Which they kind of are...

I "kinda" liked them at first.. Sort of dont care what anyone thinks of them.. But it didnt last..  As said, sadly a bit of a novelty act which they do to themselves by being so campy and over the top. Yes its done on purpose but they use every rock and roll cliché  in the book.. So when you first find them its like, good licks, decent solos and rhythms and he can sing. But its never anything more than that (if you see what I mean) and then his voice starts to get a bit irritating ...  Well thats how I see it anyway. 

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

No to The Darkness... As far as the guitar... not my gig but to each and to their own. I’ve seen worse. Moral of the story is we are all different have fun. 

@Rabs good description of the band. The vocals make me sick - totally unlistenable for me. The guitar work is only so-so. I simply dislike bands with ok to great instrumentalists, but horrible vocalists.

Edited by NighthawkChris

Definitely a "to each" instrument.  Personally, an LP Goldtop would do me just fine.  But this one does look like the kind of thing that would cause gasps and bug-eyed pants wetting responses from novice teeny-bop players.   

Whitefang

• Like 1

Okay, this is going to sound weird, but I am now a The Darkness convert. 

I've gone from never even hearing of the band to (after studying a variety of music videos, interviews, and Rig Rundowns) to being a big fan now. 

Call me a dork, but I really like these guys. 
They are funny as hell, and they rock. 

Sort of like Monty Python, only with guitars, bass, and drums. 
And instead of The Phythons speaking in a falsetto while portraying female characters, we get Justin Hawkins showing us how epic that falsetto can be. 

By association, at this point, I now find the OP's sparkly Les Paul to be epic as well. 

Two thumbs way up. 

🙂

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Okay, this is going to sound weird, but I am now a The Darkness convert. 

I've gone from never even hearing of the band to (after studying a variety of music videos, interviews, and Rig Rundowns) to being a big fan now. 

Call me a dork, but I really like these guys. 
They are funny as hell, and they rock. 

Sort of like Monty Python, only with guitars, bass, and drums. 
And instead of The Phythons speaking in a falsetto while portraying female characters, we get Justin Hawkins showing us how epic that falsetto can be. 

By association, at this point, I now find the OP's sparkly Les Paul to be epic as well. 

Two thumbs way up. 

🙂

Well at least something positive came from this thread  😄  

9 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

No to The Darkness... As far as the guitar... not my gig but to each and to their own. I’ve seen worse. Moral of the story is we are all different have fun. 

@Rabs good description of the band. The vocals make me sick - totally unlistenable for me. The guitar work is only so-so. I simply dislike bands with ok to great instrumentalists, but horrible vocalists.

Yeah.. I only listened to Guns n Roses for instance because of Slash and Izzy, to me they were worth putting up with Axl..  These days I mostly listen to Slash in his own bands.  Appetite is a classic but Axl does annoy me. In the case of The Darkness when I first heard them I think my reaction was probably similar to Sparkys. They do rock but theres just not enough extra to keep me listening past the novelty of finding a band that sounds like that (which there was a lack of when they first came out (and still is really)..  As I say... Its a shame they just wernt that bit more serious about it. They could have been much much better.