Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom 1993: poor quality

gnatok

Hello.

Is it common to have inlay not perfectly centered between frets for old instruments? I have an LP custom historic collection 1993 with block inlays  not centered between frets.

Other issue is fretboard itself.

Never noticed that before.

Thank you

6E9CB506-066B-4089-A3DD-A22D48A8115E.jpeg

BD431641-5E6D-42E5-A0C9-1A6FF6E98793.jpeg

1301B8C0-8516-47EE-9274-AA3F978F036A.jpeg

EA90E399-77BA-476E-BE26-B80E60D63026.jpeg

3020E3F8-F3CB-44FE-AEFE-E2BD20FBE1A9.jpeg

It appears to me that they are consistent.  The inlays are set so that more of the fretboard shows toward the headstock side, and less toward the bridge side.  I don't know why it would be that way as normally I think they are pretty much centered between the frets, but as long as it's a consistent pattern it wouldn't bother me nor would I consider it poor quality.  I have no idea if that is something that most Historic Collection guitars from '93 have?

Edited by Twang Gang

Just now, kidblast said:

I don't think I've ever seen, or at least, noticed that myself.

Can you please explain me sgt. pepper message? I don't get it. It is a joke or some kind of guitar maker slang 🙂

16 minutes ago, gnatok said:

Can you please explain me sgt. pepper message? I don't get it. It is a joke or some kind of guitar maker slang 🙂

it was a touch of classic Pepper sarcasm.  you'll learn more as you go down the road as a memebr!  🙂

3 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I think the offset centres are fine. Nice looking guitar from what I can see. Ebony FB by the looks of it.

What's the other problem? Looks like some frets need crowning.

Fretboard needs levelling. You can see it on the first and second photo, but to do that I need to remove frets and I don’t won’t to as current frets still have some “meat”. 

10 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I think the offset centres are fine. Nice looking guitar from what I can see. Ebony FB by the looks of it.

What's the other problem? Looks like some frets need crowning.

Yes. Good shape for her age

9326DE4F-C8F2-402A-9B9A-8AAE8062E7A9.jpeg

1 minute ago, gnatok said:

Fretboard needs levelling. You can see it on the first and second photo, but to do that I need to remove frets and I don’t won’t to as current frets still have some “meat”. 

I'm sure you don't really mean you need to remove the frets to level them.

Looks like they been levelled but not crowned. Perhaps there isn't enough fret remaining to crown? I have a 80's guitar with the same issue. 

Obviously if you had a re-fret you would lose your nibs. That might be a concern.

15 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm sure you don't really mean you need to remove the frets to level them.

Looks like they been levelled but not crowned. Perhaps there isn't enough fret remaining to crown? I have a 80's guitar with the same issue. 

Obviously if you had a re-fret you would lose your nibs. That might be a concern.

I am about imperfections of the fretboard/fingerboard itself. Frets will be crowned in next week or so

24 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

ok, so its not the frets, but the fretboard. What's up with it?

Look at the first and second photo. I don’t know if it like that from the factory or someone tried to remove something and took out some edges. I tend to think this is from the factory because it is minimal....

I need a second "pair of the eyes" as we say here 🙂

IMG-0272.jpg

IMG-0271.jpg

Edited by gnatok
wrong links

5 hours ago, gnatok said:

Up by the cutaway the binding looks like it was the new guys day to use the scrapping tool and file. It looks awful.

I'm a wise a-ss and my first comment was meant to be funny, but it looks awful and gouged to death. I must be the only one that sees it.

There is a line on the wood between the 13th and 14th frets, and you can see where the binding  gets hand scrapped some of the wood on the fretboard was removed.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, gnatok said:

Look at the first and second photo. I don’t know if it like that from the factory or someone tried to remove something and took out some edges. I tend to think this is from the factory because it is minimal....

I need a second "pair of the eyes" as we say here 🙂

I see. There are fettling marks on the surface. I don't know for certain what this is, but I cant see why anybody would try to reshape the fingerboard after manufacture. If this did happen it goes far beyond edge rolling. Does the edge feel very rounded? 

I'd like others to chime in with opinions here, but I suspect it may just be the manufacturing method of 1993. Today all new guitars should have flawless smooth fingerboards because CNC manufacture makes this not only possible, but easier. Yes, CNC machining was around during this period, but I don't know if Gibson had adopted it then. Even if they did, the custom shop might not have. 

Regardless of what it is, it should not affect the feel and play of the instrument. If by any chance it does, then there's not much you can do about it without major remedial work. I only even mention this because I detest rolled edges. Most players are ok with them. 

• Thanks 1