Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Strap Button Placement??


Joe M
 Share

Recommended Posts

Goofy question....has Gibson ever placed the strap button on the flat part of the heel? I know that that's one of the places that some people recommend placing it, but I've never seen one in that spot from the factory, always is on the side of the heel, if there is one.  Am I missing something? The guitar in question is a new Hummingbird Original, if that makes any difference. 

Edited by Joe M
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know if they "ever" placed them on the flat part, but I don't think they ever did on that model.  I have a Hummingbird Original and the strap button is on the side of the heel.  The problem with placing a strap button at the back of the heel is the guitar tends to lean away from you when in a playing position.  Any excuse to post a photo of my Bird.

tK1BDNV.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With SW what you see it what you are supposed to be shipped. Here are some with pre-installed strap buttons, and many don't have them. Here are five I saw on their site. You have to go to the picture of the back of the axe to see the placement.

This SJ-200 has it here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SJ200StMAB--gibson-acoustic-sj-200-standard-maple-acoustic-guitar-autumnburst

This SJ-200 has it here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SJ200StMWR--gibson-acoustic-sj-200-standard-maple-acoustic-guitar-wine-red

This L-00 has it here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCSBLSRWAN--gibson-acoustic-l-00-studio-rosewood-antique-natural

This HB has it here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumStdVS--gibson-acoustic-hummingbird-standard-acoustic-guitar-vintage-sunburst

This HB has it here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RSHDRBGE--gibson-acoustic-hummingbird-deluxe-rosewood-burst

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

With SW what you see it what you are supposed to be shipped.

Yeah. There were about four Southern Jumbos when I was looking at them. Three had no buttons installed. One did. And it was on the heel like the OP was talking about. Seemed really weird to me. Why would Gibson install it on some guitars and not others? And further, why there of all places? It doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Sevendaymelee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess it isn't such a rare thing after all. I just had never seen a factory installed button on any Gibson before in that position. Pepper, thanks for the links, looks like wherever the guy installing the buttons on any given day just puts it where he feels like. No rhyme or reason.....ah the mysteries of Gibson production....[biggrin]

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to remember a few Total Quality Management gurus, in other industries, stating that one of the criteria for measuring it was consistency.  Once determining the 'best practice', to always follow it.  With a half dozen possible places to place a strap pin, plus the fact half the folks don't want one - it seems preposterous that Bozeman would be doing this.  Are you sure it isn't the dealer putting the buttons on?   A mis-guided way to make prospective buyers think they're getting a little something extra?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes my brand new made in March 2021 j45 has that I called Gibson today actually and they said that’s how they did it but literally stopped doing this a week ago from now on the screw will not be screwed in unless it’s a cutaway or studio 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I seem to remember a few Total Quality Management gurus, in other industries, stating that one of the criteria for measuring it was consistency.  Once determining the 'best practice', to always follow it.  With a half dozen possible places to place a strap pin, plus the fact half the folks don't want one - it seems preposterous that Bozeman would be doing this.  Are you sure it isn't the dealer putting the buttons on?   A mis-guided way to make prospective buyers think they're getting a little something extra?   

At this point, nothing surprises me any more. At first, I thought like you, that the dealer installed the button as an "extra". But the dealer in question assured me the guitar came from Gibson with the button installed where it is. And I trust him. Kind of a moot point anyway, since I never use a strap on an acoustic. Always, and I mean always, play sitting down. Just kind of cheeses me off that Gibson is so presumptuous to assume I even WANT a strap button. Just like them putting a pickup in everything, except their vintage models. It's another thing I never use. 

 

10 hours ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

Yes my brand new made in March 2021 j45 has that I called Gibson today actually and they said that’s how they did it but literally stopped doing this a week ago from now on the screw will not be screwed in unless it’s a cutaway or studio 

The HB I'm talking about was made in Feb 2021, so it looks like both of us got "screwed" when we really didn't want to.....[biggrin]

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Typically, having added or not added a strap button on a guitar has historically had no impact on the value of a vintage guitar.  I doubt that will change, especially as there are about five different places where strap buttons are typically added in a guitar either by manufacturers, luthiers, or guitar owners.  (Now if a strap button was added to an actual unusual location such as on the top of a guitar or in the back of the neck at the 7th fret or something, that would devalue a guitar.)

This subject seems overthought IMHO.


QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have to wonder whether Gibson specifies to their workers where the thing should be placed or whether they just leave it up to the individual.

That is very odd. My J-45 has the strap button on the treble side, which I used to think of as standard - no longer!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, Twang Gang said:

Don't know if they "ever" placed them on the flat part, but I don't think they ever did on that model.  I have a Hummingbird Original and the strap button is on the side of the heel.  The problem with placing a strap button at the back of the heel is the guitar tends to lean away from you when in a playing position.  Any excuse to post a photo of my Bird.

tK1BDNV.jpg

OMG!   That's freakin' BEAUTIFUL!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have five dreads and my old Jubilee....NONE of them have a strap button on the heel of the neck....other than the one on the side in the middle of the bass bout, then have no button at all.

I don't use a strap much these days, (all my dreads have Couch Straps) but I use a "Strap Foot", (or shoe....so shoe string)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

Typically, having added or not added a strap button on a guitar has historically had no impact on the value of a vintage guitar.  I doubt that will change, especially as there are about five different places where strap buttons are typically added in a guitar either by manufacturers, luthiers, or guitar owners.  (Now if a strap button was added to an actual unusual location such as on the top of a guitar or in the back of the neck at the 7th fret or something, that would devalue a guitar.)

This subject seems overthought IMHO.


QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Don't think I "overthought" the subject, just curious. And as far as worrying about devaluing the guitar in 20 or 30 years, I don't really care, I'm not gonna be around.......[biggrin]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

Lolol too bad man idk when I put my strap on guitar leans forward maybe something can help idk I don’t wear straps but when I play sometime on stage lmfao I need one ☝️ 

A simple solution is to not use the heel strap button but instead to tie the strap behind the nut on the headstock, the way guitarists do when there is no strap button by the neck heel.  Personally, I like tying the strap between the 5th and 6th string across between the 1st and 2nd string  on the headstock. You’ll need to obtain a good shoe lace for the tie and wrap it around a couple of times and tie some good knots for safety as well as through the strap.  Or, use a strap that comes with a good fastener around the headstock spot.   Works fine there as it did for many years before strap buttons by the heel became a thing.  

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously lol a shoe string we spend thousands of dollars and now use a shoe string bottom line Gibson ****ed up me being a traveling man I’m past my return date pretty mad since my j45 was back ordered arrived didn’t get it til a month later 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

Seriously lol a shoe string we spend thousands of dollars and now use a shoe string bottom line Gibson ****ed up me being a traveling man I’m past my return date pretty mad since my j45 was back ordered arrived didn’t get it til a month later 

Yes.  Seriously.  Or, buy a strap that comes with an attachment for the headstock that has a string or a plastic or leather buckle attached to it.  This has nothing to do with whether a guitar is a Gibson or any brand.   Straps can tie around the headstock and have been used for years this way.  Straps can be inexpensive or expensive, but when they connect at the headstock, they all need to connect one way or another there.  A good strong shoe string as a connector is quite common and works well.  It’s very common.  Nothing unusual.   Plus, it’s a material  that doesn’t hurt or scratch the guitar.  Just trying to help.

Check out my strap attached to my Gibson 2006 J-45 1964 Custom Shop Reisue in this video.  That non-invasive shoe lace connector at the headstock on that guitar has been working fine for over +10 years.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff
 

 

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can’t really tell from the photo, but looks like it’s meant to affix around the headstock  and the end pin button to me.   I’d be careful with that type of strap with the metal on it, unless you’re prepared to take the strap on and off of the guitar each time you use it and store it in the pick box in the case so it doesn’t scratch the guitar when not in use.  Personally, I prefer a strap that I can leave on the guitar all of the time with nothing on it that can scratch the guitar, but it is a cool looking strap.   You might want to try going to a guitar center that has it in stock to see if it has the capability to fit on both the end and heel button.   Looking at the photo it looks like it fastens to the end pin button and around the headstock to me.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...