Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, flip side of the "Bad Concert" thread.  

What was the BEST concert or set you've ever seen live?¬† ¬† Maybe it was a very special/intimate performance.¬† Maybe it was your favorite band with all the original members.¬† Maybe you took just the right mix of chemicals that night.¬†¬†ūüėĄ

Example:

Steely Dan in a small theater in NYC.  Nuff said. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osbourne on March 17, 1982 in Atlanta, Ga. It was his 2nd to the last concert he ever played. He played in Knoxville, TN on March 18th. He died on March 19th i

This one is easy for me. I saw Weather Report in a small supper club in underground Raleigh, NC, just after the release of Mysterious Traveller around 1974. No Jaco, but a real game changer for me, no

Ok, flip side of the "Bad Concert" thread.   What was the BEST concert or set you've ever seen live?    Maybe it was a very special/intimate performance.  Maybe it was your favorite band with all

Too many bests, but somewhere in between The Band (1970) in Central Park's Wollman Rink,  and The David Bromberg Band (early 70's) at Frivolous Sal's Last Chance Saloon, Poughkeepsie. That covers a strange swath of ground with many candidates in between.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Pink Floyd Animals tour Madison Square Garden, 10cc The Original Soundtrack tour Radio City Music Hall, Alvin Lee/Ten Years Later at Stockton State College in NJ,  Zappa at Academy of Music for what became the Baby Snakes movie.

Hey Frank, want a hit?

Is that the Tower Of Power? Oh, its one of those dope fiend devices, take it away.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

A few come to mind...

Probably the last Rush concert (R40), just before they hung it up for good.  That was probably the best one.  We rented out a luxury box  at the Boston TG Garden,  a bunch of fam and friends signed on.   We rented a Limo bus..  that was a blast,, except for the A/C in the bus not working,  THAT part sucked..

BB King at the half shell in Boston was right up there too.  That guy was a great entertainer.   

• Like 1

Rush - Moving Pictures Tour Oakland Coliseum Arena 1981

Frank Zappa - Them Or Us Tour Santa Cruz Civic Thursday night and Berkeley Greek Theater Saturday night 1984

Richard Thompson - All 3 Times I've seen him (all acoustic twice and electric once) 2005, 2018 twice

Lindsey Buckingham - Seeds We Sow Tour Greenfield Lake Amphitheater 2012

A ton of others too.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Probably the last Rush concert (R40), just before they hung it up for good.  That was probably the best one. 

I saw Rush eight times including the R40 Tour in Greenville, SC. I love the way they went backwards.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, there's a few "tied for first" shows I could name too;

My first of course, Jimi Hendrix Experience  with The MC5 and Soft Machine;  '68

The Mahavishnu Orchestra opening for Emerson, Lake and Palmer;  '71

The Eagles opening for The Mahavishnu Orchestra; '72

Jo Jo Gunne opening for The Mahavishnu Orchestra; later '72

Bob Seger( one of his "live Bullet" recording nights); '75

Weather Report (opened by John McLaughlin's Shakti); '76

Then a huge FF to ----

John McLaughlin w/ The Detroit Symphony Orchestra/ "Mediterranean  Concerto"  '87

Detroit Symphony Orchestra/performance of Beethoven's 9th symphony( dir; Neeme Jaarvi);  '91

DANG, my thumb is sore from flipping coins!  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw Rush eight times including the R40 Tour in Greenville, SC. I love the way they went backwards.

yea, they kept that stuff alive and energized all those years.   I can't think of a single band that could ever pull off what those three did routinely.

I was at most of the shows, and only missed a few since the 2112 tour.   I miss those guys and still sad that Neil has left the planet.

For the sheer excitement of a rock show, just deadly band work, stupid good front person, great sound, a crowd that coulda killed somebody they were so hot:

Billy Idol Rebel Yell at Tower in Philly PA.

A week later, Adam Ant, same place.

Two weeks later, Johnny's Dance Band at Deptford Tavern.  Noneaya ever heard of Nan Mancini and JDB, but they were just spectacular.

Same month, Duran Duran twice at the Spectrum in Philly.  Go ahead, yuk it up.  That band was on fire.

rct

In the mid seventies Comiskey Park (home of the White Sox) was having a series of rock shows when the team was on the road.  Sanatana was scheduled to come, but it rained for about 2 whole days and they decided putting up the stage and a few thousand seats on the field would ruin it and the Sox wouldn't be able to play on it for several days, so the show was cancelled.  Danny Seraphine who had been the drummer for the band Chicago owned a nightclub in the suburbs of Chicago.  He somehow got Santana to perform there since the big show had been cancelled.  I managed to get four tickets and we went.  I got to sit about 15 feet from the band and watch Carlos play for close to three hours.

My bass player got a part-time job bartending at that club (I think it was called Beginnings) and he got me in a few times to see some big acts like AC/DC and Rush.  It wasn't a very big place but the acoustics and the house sound man were really good so it always sounded good in there. 

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

yea, they kept that stuff alive and energized all those years.   I can't think of a single band that could ever pull off what those three did routinely.

I was at most of the shows, and only missed a few since the 2112 tour.   I miss those guys and still sad that Neil has left the planet.

I had to check out for a while when Geddy was more of a Synth player. That Rush era I do not listen to. I can listen to Signals, and some of Grace Under Pressure, but Power Windows  and the next few makes me nauseous. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

This one is easy for me. I saw Weather Report in a small supper club in underground Raleigh, NC, just after the release of Mysterious Traveller around 1974. No Jaco, but a real game changer for me, nonetheless. I sat close enough to Joe Zawinul to hear him smacking his gum between tunes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had to check out for a while when Geddy was more of a Synth player. That Rush era I do not listen to. I can listen to Signals, and some of Grace Under Pressure, but Power Windows  and the next few makes me nauseous. 

there's more good songs on that one, as well as Roll The Bones and Test For Echo than there are bad.  But, that said, I can't disagree with what you are saying.  

Even Lifeson was quite conflicted about the direction things were going in during those years

After Test For Echo, Neil dealt with quite a roll of personal tragedy and that was almost the end of the road for them.

But, they had more gas in the tank,  the eventual next album was Vapor Trails. 

They left that heavy synth/keyboard stuff wither on the vine, and went back to what go them where they were.  Thankfully........ 

But Vapor Trails is not by any strech one of my favorites..  I rarely listen to it,  it's kind of hard to get through,, disjointed,...

Neil wasn't really "back" yet, and Alex and Geddy had just come off solo endeavors.   It shows in the tracks.. they just weren't where they usually were.

Edited by kidblast
42 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I forgot one: Blue Oyster Cult, 1977 in either Tulsa or Oklahoma City.  They were just great and the laser light show was a lot of fun.

A few years later they made my worst concert list.

That can happen. I saw them on the Club Ninja Tour and they were okay. After BOC got done. Everyone started leaving and the announcer came out and said "Where is everyone going Ronnie Montrose is on next". That was a nice surprise. The last time in 2017 they were just awful. So much so that we left early and I rarely leave a concert early. Foghat opened for them and were really good, although I think the drummer was the only original member and he hit the bass drum so hard my chest hurt.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
17 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

I saw Yes on their last world tour with Chris Squire - they played the full 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge' albums in the correct song sequence.

Magic.

VBM95TCl.jpg  88708Z2l.jpg

l love Yes. Close To The Edge is one of my top 3 albums of all time along with The White Album and Apostrophe.  I saddly saw Yes in there 80's Trevor Rabin days and they were good but to me that is not Yes. At least Chris and Jon were in the band. I've seen Steve Howe twice with Asia and once when  he was in GTR with the other legendary Steve who is a guitarist by the name of Hackett.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So many... Ones that come to mind..

Guns n Roses 1991 with Faith no More and Soundgarden in support, Wembley Stadium.. 

British Summer Time in Hyde Park, I think it was 2014.. A day event open air on a lovely summer day.. We had Soundgarden and Faith no More (again oddly), Soulfly, Motorhead and topped off with Black Sabbath (who I had never seen before).

Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton around 2010 at the O2..  Just wonderful to see Jeff Beck live.. Eric was ok but boring compared to Jeff

And about 1993..   Metallica, Megadeath, Diamond Head and The Almighty at the Milton Keynes Bowl just a total metal fest.

Ohh and of course theres BB King.. Was lucky enough to see him twice.. Once with Gary Moore in support and the second time about ten years later at the Royal Albert Hall when half way through the gig, Slash, Ron Wood, Derek Trucks and his wife came on.. The rest of the night was just one big jam. Amazing..