Gibson Brands Forums

36 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

I saw Yes on their last world tour with Chris Squire - they played the full 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge' albums in the correct song sequence.

Magic.

Also saw Yes in about 2018 I think..  But with the AWR line up... I also have the Tshirt from that BUT its a bit sad as the friend who I went to the gig with died later that year... A short while after I was asked by his sister to help clear his things from his home.. We found in the loft nearly all if the Tshirts he had collected over the years and he was the kind of guy who bought a shirt for every gig he went to so there was hundreds. I found the Yes one he bought from that gig and kept it as a reminder of him. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one is easy for me. I saw Weather Report in a small supper club in underground Raleigh, NC, just after the release of Mysterious Traveller around 1974. No Jaco, but a real game changer for me, no

The Keith years are some of their best. From about '72 to around '76 they peaked and were never better. Once Jerry stated with stuff other than LSD it was a long sad trip. After Terrapin or Shakedown

I saw Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osbourne on March 17, 1982 in Atlanta, Ga. It was his 2nd to the last concert he ever played. He played in Knoxville, TN on March 18th. He died on March 19th i

I was lucky enough to see the Yes "Union" tour.  That was the old lineup AND the new lineup.  Trevor and Steve on stage together at times - amazing.  They switched it up all night, old lineup, new lineup and various hybrids.   

I remember after that concert I couldn't listen to music for a little while because it was like they played every single note and chord at least twice; it was overwhelming. 

This was my 1st great concert - the day before my 15th birthday, 1969....still a treasured (though dim) memory. 

bath-blues-flyer-69.jpg

Weather Report; 1st saw them with Vitous and Gravatt in 1972 at Ronnie Scott's.   Not just great but life-changing.

And they would be in my list of worst concerts too.  The last time I saw Weather Report was the last European tour with Pastorius at the Rainbow in London.  As he started his bass solo I checked the time - there was a clock above one of the exits - and he really was still soloing thirty minutes later, and receiving a slow handclap.  No-one is that good. I got up and left. [sad]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Rabs,

How long did Jeff Beck play?  He gave us the PJ Harvey treatment: 60 minutes, encore, see ya.

Well I think the whole thing was about two and a half hours..  They did their separate thing then came on and did some together.  So yeah, probably was 60mins each separately and 30 together. But it was 11 years ago so I may be wrong 🙂 

6/13/92

Crowded House

In the Serenadenhof, Nürnberg, Germany.

An intimate setting, an old hof (interior courtyard) on the southeast corner of the Congress Hall, and part of the former Nazi Party Rally Grounds.

But on that warm summer evening in the romantic Serenadenhof, listening to this band who has become like family to me, with tasteful bier and wine bars left and right. 
Singing from the audience alongside my German and Belgian friends. 
Man. 
So good. 

🙂

eight_col_Crowded_House_header_image.jpg

Well, if you consider an outdoor concert with more than one band, I was at an outdoor concert in Charlotte, NC that included The Allman Bros the year after Duane died (1972), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Elvin Bishop, Leon Russell, and Marshall Tucker. 

Then there was the Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans over a couple of weekends in 2009 with Johnny Winter, Dave Matthews, Robert Cray, Drive-by Truckers, Bonnie Raitt, Wynton Marsalis, Tab Benoit, Papa Grows Funk (they cooked), Sunny Landreth, etc., etc. As awesome as the music was, the food was better.

Debbie and I have seen so many great bands its hard to pick just one. We saw The Eagles 3 times and they were suburb all 3 times, FleetWood Mac was much better the 2nd time we saw them.  Crosby, Stills, Nash was great, we saw McCartney 3 times.  Too many to even mention unless you got all night long to just read this post alone.  If I had to narrow it down to just two concerts then:  Paul and Linda McCartney in Ames was one of the best concerts I've seen until Deb and I went to see Pink Floyd's The Wall concert.  It was amazing with all the graphics and lights they do plus the music, That had to be the Best One ever. 

I would be hard pressed to pick just one. 

Aug. 22, 1969 I saw Yes, Delaney &  Bonny and Friends with Leon Russell  and Blind Faith. After Blind Faith finished their set, Leon, Delaney,  Bonny and Yes had a jam session that went on till the po po pulled the plug. 

In 1976 I saw Steve Winwood at a night club in San Bernardino,  just him and his drummer. He did 5 sets. 

Sept. 18, 1975, San Diego Convention Center,  Climax Blues Band, Johnny Winters Band, Edgar Winters Band with special guest Rick Darringer.  That was an awesome show.

ELO , with Fleetwood Mac,  San Diego Convention Center was awesome,  2nd row center! What a night!

Paul McCartney under the stars in Missoula Montana,  at the U of M football stadium would have to be at the top of the list. 

But, Taj Mahal is one of my favorites,  for Jazz, MJQ  and Eddie Harris .

Edited by jaxson50
I saw Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osbourne on March 17, 1982 in Atlanta, Ga. It was his 2nd to the last concert he ever played.
He played in Knoxville, TN on March 18th.
He died on March 19th in a stupid airplane accident.

I went to the concert with 3 buddies. I was in college. I was probably 20 feet away from Randy most of the night, in the front row, being pushed against the stage. It was incredible.  He was incrediblel. I have never seen, and probably will never see a guitar player like him. The whole show was great.

Two days later, I was in a car with 3 other buddies on my way to Daytona, Florida for Spring Break, when a news flash came on the radio. Randy Rhoads died in a plane crash early this morning.......... in Florida!
I couldn't believe my ears. I was driving. I told everyone in the car that I had just seen him play the other night in concert. And now he was gone. It was so damn weird. I just remember being very sad, and thinking how lucky I was to have seen him.
And then I went on to Daytona and had a blast!!!

The following is the setlist they played:
  1. "Over the Mountain"
  2. "Mr. Crowley"
  3. "Crazy Train"
  4. "Revelation Mother Earth"
  5. "Steal Away the Night"
  6. "Suicide Solution"
  7. Randy Rhoads Guitar Solo and "The Man on the Flying Trapeze" (Instrumental band jam)
  8. Tommy Aldridge drum solo and "The Man on the Flying Trapeze" (Instrumental band jam) [Reprise]
  9. "Goodbye to Romance"
  10. ."I Don't Know"
  11. "No Bone Movies"
  12. "Believer"
  13. "Flying High Again"
  14. "Iron Man" (Black Sabbath Song)
  15. "Children of the Grave" (Black Sabbath Song)
  16. "Paranoid" (Black Sabbath Song) [Encore]

In second place isTrans-Siberian Orchestra.  If you have not seen them. You should.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, brad1 said:
I saw Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osbourne on March 17, 1982 in Atlanta, Ga. It was his 2nd to the last concert he ever played.
He played in Knoxville, TN on March 18th.
He died on March 19th in a stupid airplane accident.

I went to the concert with 3 buddies. I was in college. I was probably 20 feet away from Randy most of the night, in the front row, being pushed against the stage. It was incredible.  He was incrediblel. I have never seen, and probably will never see a guitar player like him. The whole show was great.

Two days later, I was in a car with 3 other buddies on my way to Daytona, Florida for Spring Break, when a news flash came on the radio. Randy Rhoads died in a plane crash early this morning.......... in Florida!
I couldn't believe my ears. I was driving. I told everyone in the car that I had just seen him play the other night in concert. And now he was gone. It was so damn weird. I just remember being very sad, and thinking how lucky I was to have seen him.
And then I went on to Daytona and had a blast!!!

The following is the setlist they played:
  1. "Over the Mountain"
  2. "Mr. Crowley"
  3. "Crazy Train"
  4. "Revelation Mother Earth"
  5. "Steal Away the Night"
  6. "Suicide Solution"
  7. Randy Rhoads Guitar Solo and "The Man on the Flying Trapeze" (Instrumental band jam)
  8. Tommy Aldridge drum solo and "The Man on the Flying Trapeze" (Instrumental band jam) [Reprise]
  9. "Goodbye to Romance"
  10. ."I Don't Know"
  11. "No Bone Movies"
  12. "Believer"
  13. "Flying High Again"
  14. "Iron Man" (Black Sabbath Song)
  15. "Children of the Grave" (Black Sabbath Song)
  16. "Paranoid" (Black Sabbath Song) [Encore]

In second place isTrans-Siberian Orchestra.  If you have not seen them. You should.

You were  ljcky to have seen him , i wanted to but never got the chance, I agree, TSO is a must see, i had forgotten we saw them in 2004 what a great show 

Edited by jaxson50
8 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I would be hard pressed to pick just one. 

Aug. 22, 1969 I saw Yes, Delaney &  Bonny and Friends with Leon Russell  and Blind Faith. After Blind Faith finished their set, Leon, Delaney,  Bonny and Yes had a jam session that went on till the po po pulled the plug. 

In 1976 I saw Steve Winwood at a night club in San Bernardino,  just him and his drummer. He did 5 sets. 

Sept. 18, 1975, San Diego Convention Center,  Climax Blues Band, Johnny Winters Band, Edgar Winters Band with special guest Rick Darringer.  That was an awesome show.

ELO , with Fleetwood Mac,  San Diego Convention Center was awesome,  2nd row center! What a night!

Paul McCartney under the stars in Missoula Montana,  at the U of M football stadium would have to be at the top of the list. 

But, Taj Mahal is one of my favorites,  for Jazz, MJQ  and Eddie Harris .

Thanks for that.  I hadn't thought of Taj in a long, long time.  I'm off to listen for a bit.  

rct

• Like 1

If I had to pick just one.... Willie Nelson.... in 1978.... on my birthday..... our son was born EXACTLY 9 months later to the day!

BUT!.... George Jones was over the top....(guess we caught him on a good night).

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

If I had to pick just one.... Willie Nelson.... in 1978.... on my birthday..... our son was born EXACTLY 9 months later to the day!

BUT!.... George Jones was over the top....(guess we caught him on a good night).

I've seen Willie three times, The first was really great the last two were lack luster.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've seen Willie three times, The first was really great the last two were lack luster.

I think 80 years of smokin' weed has caught up with him.

36 minutes ago, Cougar said:

Crosby Stills Nash & Young at the Hollywood Bowl, opening act: Joni Mitchell.

Coming in 2nd, BB King, opening act: Stevie Ray.

I've seen CSN twice. Once was in Concord, CA and the other was in Honolulu, HI. The acts that came on before CSN were Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt. It was a benefit for the Iniki Hurricane.

17 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

I saw Yes on their last world tour with Chris Squire - they played the full 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge' albums in the correct song sequence.

Magic.

I only saw YES once,   in mid '72(and still in the Bruford days) just before CLOSE TO THE EDGE  was coming out.  They gave a preview of it( only the tunes "And You And I" and "Siberian Khatru").  The Eagles opened for them.   What bugged me was, having seen The Eagles earlier that year( when they opened for Mahavishnu Orch.) and me and the rest of the McLaughlin crowd digging them, the YES crowd at Cobo didn't seem to care for The Eagles that much, several jerks yelling for them to... "Get off the stage!"  I'm willing to bet after a couple more years those same jerks put out beaucoup bucks grabbing up all their LPs.  [wink]

Whitefang

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I only saw YES once,   in mid '72(and still in the Bruford days) just before CLOSE TO THE EDGE  was coming out.  They gave a preview of it( only the tunes "And You And I" and "Siberian Khatru").  The Eagles opened for them.   What bugged me was, having seen The Eagles earlier that year( when they opened for Mahavishnu Orch.) and me and the rest of the McLaughlin crowd digging them, the YES crowd at Cobo didn't seem to care for The Eagles that much, several jerks yelling for them to... "Get off the stage!"  I'm willing to bet after a couple more years those same jerks put out beaucoup bucks grabbing up all their LPs.  [wink]

Whitefang

For you YES fans, (I was never really one).

May be art of 1 person and guitar

• Confused 1
35 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

For you YES fans, (I was never really one).

May be art of 1 person and guitar

Here is what Gollum, I mean Steve really looks like in real life.

5YO51ep.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper