Gibson Brands Forums

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I only saw YES once,   in mid '72(and still in the Bruford days) just before CLOSE TO THE EDGE  was coming out.  They gave a preview of it( only the tunes "And You And I" and "Siberian Khatru").  The Eagles opened for them.   What bugged me was, having seen The Eagles earlier that year( when they opened for Mahavishnu Orch.) and me and the rest of the McLaughlin crowd digging them, the YES crowd at Cobo didn't seem to care for The Eagles that much, several jerks yelling for them to... "Get off the stage!"  I'm willing to bet after a couple more years those same jerks put out beaucoup bucks grabbing up all their LPs.  [wink]

Whitefang

Reminds me of the time I went to see the 'Yessongs' concert movie at the cinema. They opened with a film of Van Morrison in concert. The guy in front of me turned to the person sitting next to him and said, "This is s h i t  isn't it?" The guy answered, "Sure is!"

Edited by Brucebubs
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one is easy for me. I saw Weather Report in a small supper club in underground Raleigh, NC, just after the release of Mysterious Traveller around 1974. No Jaco, but a real game changer for me, no

The Keith years are some of their best. From about '72 to around '76 they peaked and were never better. Once Jerry stated with stuff other than LSD it was a long sad trip. After Terrapin or Shakedown

I saw Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osbourne on March 17, 1982 in Atlanta, Ga. It was his 2nd to the last concert he ever played. He played in Knoxville, TN on March 18th. He died on March 19th i

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is what Gollum, I mean Steve really looks like in real life.

5YO51ep.jpg

there are those things in life you can't unsee......................

9 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

Reminds me of the time I went to see the 'Yessongs' concert movie at the cinema. They opened with a film of Van Morrison in concert. The guy in front of me turned to the person sitting next to him and said, "This is s h i t  isn't it?" The guy answered, "Sure is!"

Van Morrison and I used to be pretty close.

The absolute best: The Who in Oakland 1982 at the "indoor arena" show (i.e., NOT the outdoor stadium show) ...  WOW!  I have seen them a couple of other times too, but the other shows were not even close to this. As I said before ... WOW!

The list of my VERY close seconds:

- Thin Lizzy on the China Town tour 1981 at the San Francisco Warfield Theater ... Now THIS is rock and roll!

- ARMS Benefit, San Francisco 1983 -- Jimmy Page/Jeff Beck/Eric Clapton ... + so many others ... crazy special ...

- Deep Purple, San Francisco 1985 on the Perfect Strangers Tour w/ the re-formed entire classic Mk II lineup ... what a show, Blackmore (especially) was amazing

- Rush on Test For Echo tour 1997 at Shoreline Amphitheater, San Jose (this was Rush's  first tour to play the entire 2112 suite since 1980, and to also to have the "an evening with Rush" concert format ... spectacular) - seen them 13 times, hard to pick one

- Paul McCartney, 3/31/1989 at UC Berkeley Memoria Stadium -- SECOND ROW, CENTER -- this was his first tour to feature piles and piles of Beatle tunes ... so good; I was so close to McCartney I could not even see the screen, and he was GREAT

- Prince. San Jose Civic 1999 -- Open floor, but got seats (by a miracle) right by the side of stage ... best showman ever (I feel sorry for anyone who never saw him), this was the first time I saw him of many times, and he was ALWAYS amazing live ...

- Van Halen (w/ Roth on the 1984 tour & w/ Cherone on the III tour) -- Take your pick of these two, these were both legendary shows, and better than the 3 times I saw them w/ Hagar which were also good shows in their own right (but these two were better).  I also saw them w/ Roth on the Diver Down tour which was my submission for worst ever (see that other thread).  Go figure that Dave would make the "best" and "worst" lists ...

... I have a solid list of some amazing "also ran" concerts too, but I will patiently wait for that thread (LOL)

Edited by 01GT eibach
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

The absolute best: The Who in Oakland 1982 at the "indoor arena" show (i.e., NOT the outdoor stadium show) ... 

I was at the outdoor show. The Clash were better than The Who that day. The Who were good, but that day not great.

Farewell Tour my a-ss.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

back in March of '77 two buddies & I were waiting for tix to go on sale the next morning at the Spectrum in Philly for a Dead show in May. to kill some time to drove to the Tower Theatre to see who was playing. Manfred Mann's Earth Band.  was a fantastic show.  was a great time. 

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The acts that came on before CSN were Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt.

Wow.  Two of my favorites!

1 hour ago, Cougar said:

Wow.  Two of my favorites!

Yes it was a benefit concert for the Iniki Hurricance in '93.  I was stationed in Hawaii at the time at the Coast Guard Air Station in Barbers Point.  First it was a local Hawaiian group the Pahinui Brothers, then Bonnie Raitt, then Jackson Brown and CSN were the top of the bill.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:21 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was at the outdoor show. The Clash were better than The Who that day. The Who were good, but that day not great ... Farewell Tour my a-ss.

That is right.  The outdoor show had the Clash, too, and it was billed as a "Day On The Green".  Not being a big fan of stadium shows (refer back to our previous Rolling Stones at Candlestick conversation), I did everything I could to get tickets to the indoor-arena show.  I guess without the Clash, at the indoor show the Who played a longer set too (including Young Man Blues, etc.).  They also opened with "My Generation" which was very cool, considering that Pete was saying in promotional interviews that they were not going to be playing it this tour.  

pete-townshend-of-the-who-george-rose.jp

12 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

That is right.  The outdoor show had the Clash, too, and it was billed as a "Day On The Green".  Not being a big fan of stadium shows (refer back to our previous Rolling Stones at Candlestick conversation), I did everything I could to get tickets to the indoor-arena show.  I guess without the Clash, at the indoor show the Who played a longer set too (including Young Man Blues, etc.).  They also opened with "My Generation" which was very cool, considering that Pete was saying in promotional interviews that they were not going to be playing it this tour.  

pete-townshend-of-the-who-george-rose.jp

To me...the original WHO was the ultimate!

In '82, did go to see McLaughlin during the BELO  HORIZONTE  period.  Opened by the Labeque sisters.  Brought the house DOWN!

Whitefang

9 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

To me...the original WHO was the ultimate!

I think you are right.  I am a HUGE fan of Keith Moon's drumming ... even though it drove Pete crazy to have a rhythm section comprised of a "lead drummer" and "lead bass" playing together.  I never saw them with Keith Moon, but I would have loved to.  That indoor 1982 show with Kenney Jones was really great, though.  I saw them twice more on back-to-back nights playing Quadrophenia in its entirety about 16 years after that '82 gig (Zack Starkey on drums) -- those shows were especially entertaining for any Quadrophenia fans (I think that was the Who's best work, wayyyyy better than Tommy).  

20 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

I think you are right.  I am a HUGE fan of Keith Moon's drumming ... even though it drove Pete crazy to have a rhythm section comprised of a "lead drummer" and "lead bass" playing together.  I never saw them with Keith Moon, but I would have loved to.  That indoor 1982 show with Kenney Jones was really great, though.  I saw them twice more on back-to-back nights playing Quadrophenia in its entirety about 16 years after that '82 gig (Zack Starkey on drums) -- those shows were especially entertaining for any Quadrophenia fans (I think that was the Who's best work, wayyyyy better than Tommy).  

Not sure there will ever be a group of 4 musicians as strong as the Original WHO.   Moonie was the most flamboyant drummer in all of rock, (and that's saying something); and Entwistle is STILL probably the best bass player ever in Rock;  Pete is a phenom on the guitar and an unbelievable song writer; and Roger is a fabulous front man.... just the best!

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Not sure there will ever be a group of 4 musicians as strong as the Original WHO.   Moonie was the most flamboyant drummer in all of rock, (and that's saying something); and Entwistle is STILL probably the best bass player ever in Rock;  Pete is a phenom on the guitar and an unbelievable song writer; and Roger is a fabulous front man.... just the best!

Keith was bonkers...  Did you ever see this clip?

On 5/5/2021 at 2:14 PM, kidblast said:

there are those things in life you can't unsee......................

Oh my?  Age is not kind to people. I saw a photo of my wife's mom when she was married to her dad and thought, Wow! She was beautiful once. 

11 hours ago, Rabs said:

Keith was bonkers...  Did you ever see this clip?

Yes...I've seen it...he WAS crazy!

They say many of the tales about rockers tearing up hotel rooms are exaggerated to make them sound worse than they really were....but with Moonie, the stories were toned down to make them seem not as bad!

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

The CLIP?  Hell, I remember seeing  the incident when it happened!  NEVER missed a broadcast of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.  [wink]

Whitefang

18 hours ago, Whitefang said:

The CLIP?  Hell, I remember seeing  the incident when it happened!  NEVER missed a broadcast of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.  [wink]

Whitefang

That is not the only thing that contributed to Pete's hearing lose, but may be the biggest and he took that blast full on in his left ear.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm not sure which concert was the absolute best, but this is one of the top 3 or so contenders:

December 29th 1977 Grateful Dead Winterland Arena SF Cal. 

Of the 4 night run I caught two shows 29th & 30th (the NYE tickets sold out PDQ).

It was loud. Phil Lesh's bass was making my bones vibrate. It was the 1st time I heard them do 'Good Lovin' (at that time I didnt know then that Pigpen had sung it originally).

Many years later the show appeared on a triple CD set as D i c k's Picks #10 : . The DP#10 notes concur with my take on the show. Unforgettable: I think I'll listen to it later.    This link shows the set list and accounts of other attendees that night          https://www.dead.net/show/december-29-1977

Edited by merciful-evans
overcoming auntie
10 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm not sure which concert was the absolute best, but this is one of the top 3 or so contenders:

December 29th 1977 Grateful Dead Winterland Arena SF Cal. 

Of the 4 night run I caught two shows 29th & 30th (the NYE tickets sold out PDQ).

It was loud. Phil Lesh's bass was making my bones vibrate. It was the 1st time I heard them do 'Good Lovin' (at that time I didnt know then that Pigpen had sung it originally).

Many years later the show appeared on a triple CD set as ****'s Picks #10 : . The DP#10 notes concur with my take on the show. Unforgettable: I think I'll listen to it later.    This link shows the set list and accounts of other attendees that night          https://www.dead.net/show/december-29-1977

Damn, you saw The Dead (the real Dead at Winterland). They closed it a year later. I saw The Grateful Dead 14 times and Jerry solo once. I only saw one or two mediocre shows. I never saw then on NYE, but I did see them a few day before after Jerry got out of rehab. I went to a three night stand in October '87 a few weeks before I joined the Navy. The first time I saw them was in '85 and the last was '94. In '95 Jerry passed and it was all over.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn, you saw The Dead (the real Dead at Winterland). They closed it a year later. I saw The Grateful Dead 14 times and Jerry solo once. I only saw one or two mediocre shows. I never saw then on NYE, but I did see them a few day before after Jerry got out of rehab. I went to a three night stand in October '87 a few weeks before I joined the Navy. The first time I saw them was in '85 and the last was '94. In '95 Jerry passed and it was all over.

The Dead never did evolve musically and for them it was pretty much over once the calendar read 1970.  [wink]

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The Dead never did evolve musically and for them it was pretty much over once the calendar read 1970.  [wink]

Whitefang

Your right. They did what they did, but nobody did it better. Its like Zappa he is the one and only. The Dead were like no other and "There is/was nothing like a Dead Show".