Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Frampton replica finally comes out

SteveFord

Not a fan of how they have the three pickups wired.  It says it's very flexible in the tones that you can get but seems to me a 5 or 6 way switch would've been a better solution.  With the middle pickup turned down you cannot individually control the tone or volume of the other two pickups (both always the same tone and volume).  I don't know what a three pickup system would sound like with just the middle pickup being used and the other two turned down?  Just seems to me it would be more useful if you could blend the pickups like you can on a regular two   pickup system and then blend in the third pickup when you wanted.

15 hours ago, SteveFord said:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUS2HT977/Peter-Frampton-Phenix-Inspired-Les-Paul-Custom/Ebony

I was thinking 10 grand so I suppose it's a bargain, kinda.

Odd with the weight relief but guess that's what he wanted.

It has 3 pups so the price is justified and Peter Frampton's name on the TRC.

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

They relic'd away the "o" in "Phoenix". Last sighted in Murphy's lab. 

Must be how the English spell it. Like how they add the letter "u" to the words like color and spell it colour.

This one didn't sell as well as the other live one.

j15jqJM.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I'm curious about the Peter Frampton Fenix Profile Neck but not THAT curious.

It was shaved down I believe. Not sure if he did it once he owned it or the guy who gave it to him had it done, so it should be slim like a 60's I would imagine.

I try putting that live album every now and again and it does nothing for me. I would rather hear him when he was in Humble Pie. Now Performance : Rockin' The Fillmore, that is a live monster.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I try putting that live album every now and again and it does nothing for me. I would rather hear him when he was in Humble Pie. Now Performance : Rockin' The Fillmore, that is a live monster.

Frampton's solo work had at most a couple passable songs?  Frampton's material sucked when compared to Humble Pie, regardless of Frampton's huge commercial success.  Let's be honest  that Frampton had only a modicum more musicality back then than the other pretty "Tiger Beat" cover boys of the day (e.g., Shawn Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, Andy Gibb, etc.).  And Frampton's contribution to Humble Pie paled in comparison to Steve Marriott's.  Not to completely diminish Frampton's Humble Pie contribution to zero, but Humble Pie were  great FAR AND AWAY because of Steve Marriott, and only a small fractional due to Frampton.  For those that do not know, back in the mid-60s Steve Marriott was the leader of Small Faces (w/ ex-Who drummer Kenney Jones, btw) who were a bit of a  teeny-bopper band in their own right.  Marriott wanted to shed the teenybopper/commercial stuff so he left to form Humble Pie in the late 1960s with his old buddy Peter Frampton.  It was Marriott's musical vision, not Frampton.  Small Faces then got Rod Stewart & Ron Wood and became Faces which slowly evolved into being just "Rod Stewart" with the remnants of Faces being pushed out to pursue their own greener pastures.  Humble Pie was similar to Faces but ... in my opinion ... far better.  Humble Pie  played that hard gritty blues rock as good as anyone IMO and wrote lots of great songs.  They released tons of great material, and it is crime that Marriott and Humble Pie are not revered more than they are.  

Frampton "Phenix" reissue???  Please ... But be sure to call when Gibson releases the Steve Marriott "signature" Les Paul !!!

humblepie.jpg

6 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Frampton's solo work had at most a couple passable songs?  Frampton's material sucked when compared to Humble Pie, regardless of Frampton's huge commercial success.  Let's be honest  that Frampton had only a modicum more musicality back then than the other pretty "Tiger Beat" cover boys of the day (e.g., Shawn Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, Andy Gibb, etc.).  And Frampton's contribution to Humble Pie paled in comparison to Steve Marriott's.  Not to completely diminish Frampton's Humble Pie contribution to zero, but Humble Pie were  great FAR AND AWAY because of Steve Marriott, and only a small fractional due to Frampton.  For those that do not know, back in the mid-60s Steve Marriott was the leader of Small Faces (w/ ex-Who drummer Kenney Jones, btw) who were a bit of a  teeny-bopper band in their own right.  Marriott wanted to shed the teenybopper/commercial stuff so he left to form Humble Pie in the late 1960s with his old buddy Peter Frampton.  It was Marriott's musical vision, not Frampton.  Small Faces then got Rod Stewart & Ron Wood and became Faces which slowly evolved into being just "Rod Stewart" with the remnants of Faces being pushed out to pursue their own greener pastures.  Humble Pie was similar to Faces but ... in my opinion ... far better.  Humble Pie  played that hard gritty blues rock as good as anyone IMO and wrote lots of great songs.  They released tons of great material, and it is crime that Marriott and Humble Pie are not revered more than they are.  

Frampton "Phenix" reissue???  Please ... But be sure to call when Gibson releases the Steve Marriott "signature" Les Paul !!!

humblepie.jpg

He was like 4'3" and the voice that came out of that guy was unexpected. He was a child actor too.

I liked Humble Pie up until Peter Frampton left.  Peter's solo stuff needed the grunge that Steve Marriott brought to the table.

Once Peter Frampton left Humble Pie just wasn't the same.

Steve Marriott played all different models, I'd always associated him with a Les Paul Jr (double cutaway, non SG shape) but just last week I saw an old clip where he had an Epiphone Wiltshire, I think it was.

Regarding Frampton’s level of influence in Humble Pie, it depends which album you’re talking about. If you’re talking about Town and Country then I don’t know how you could deny Frampton’s influence. From then on it is well known that the band’s management sought to focus more on Steve and less on Frampton. 

Personally I thought Frampton was brilliant on Town and Country both as a guitarist and vocalist. His vocals on Natural Born Bugie are exceptional 

7 hours ago, SteveFord said:

... Once Peter Frampton left Humble Pie just wasn't the same ... Steve Marriott played all different models, I'd always associated him with a Les Paul Jr (double cutaway, non SG shape) but just last week I saw an old clip where he had an Epiphone Wiltshire, I think it was.

I agree with you, but I will say that I think (just my opinion, now) the drop-off was more Marriott's drugging/drinking at that time more than the lack of Frampton.  Look, I am sure it is quite clear by my posts that I am NOT a Frampton fan, and am a huge Marriott fan (really? we couldn't tell...).  So, my posts here are throwing a damp rag on this thread which is (and rightfully so) celebrating Gibson's "Phenix" LPC re-issue which looks like an awesome guitar.  I will keep any more negative Frampton comments to myself, or at least not in this thread ... promise.

As for Steve Marriott playing different non-Les Paul models, that is totally true.  Although he played Les Pauls quite a bit, the previous Les Paul pic and request for a Marriott LP signature just seemed to go with the theme of thread.  LOL

08568d0886f20bf68ad780ca7454ced9--steve-

1fdaf6a90097963dc1b9647ea1448dac.jpg