Gibson Brands Forums

1951 Sj200

eeh1

I put a set of Masterbilt 12's on it but I still think it needs 13's. It sounds good but low volume compared to all my other guitars. Does anyone have an SJ200 and what are you using for stringie poos.

Rotosound Jumbo King 12-54 Phosphor Bronze strings on my SJ200.

It isn't the loudest guitar until you hit it with a pick, then that classic huge SJ200 compression kicks in and that big ol' tone blooms forth.

200s are screaming for 13s. go ahead and start simple. just grab some Daddario EJ17.... that's the red one. =P~ they're cheap and great way to find out if 13s work for it. they are great strings too. i buy them even with other options around.

I agree with Jinder. When using a pick, 12's really put forth the sound. I'm trying D'Addario EJ-19 Bluegrass strings on mine right now after reading that John Lee Walker liked them on his MC. They are mediums on the base end and lights on the treble and sound great. I'd use mediums all the time but my left hand gets a little cramped on me and I like the lights for finger picking. Many folks on this forum prefer mediums so there is a lot of credibility for that selection on a big box like the SJ-200. Have fun!

Archived