Gibson Brands Forums

New Favorite Strings For My SJ-200 RW

BoSoxBiker

My string exploration continues. I have found a new favorite string for my Historic Collection Gibson SJ-200 Prewar (Rosewood B&S). They are John Pearse 310NM 80/20 New Mediums. These are Lights with medium E-B-E strings and light G-D-A strings. (.013 .017 .024 .032 .042 .055

First thing first, these took the warmth factor up a notch. It was a paradoxical result for me at first. I expected brighter, not warmer. The more I thought about it, the more this makes sense. The E-B strings gain thickness, which means more lower end tone than with thinner strings. That changes the overall balance to be less bright and a little deeper low end. That warm bottom-end thing the SJ-200s can have is delivered by the bucket with these on there.

Try this on. Imagine those old strings some folks like that lose their zingy brightness after a few months and you get to enjoy the mellow, warm tones. Now, imagine what you would have hoped those strings would have sounded like brand new. This might be where I would land with that thought. Very warm with nice, tamed, not so aggressive highs and mids. Simply stated, just plain "pleasing".

These are close to my favorites for my SJ-200 Standard (Maple B&S), which are the John Pearse 80/20 lights (.012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .053). What I liked about the lights seems to be amplified with the New Mediums. I am trying these New Mediums on the SJ-200 Standard when I get this guitar back from Gibson.

Edited by BoSoxBiker

• BoSoxBiker changed the title to New Favorite Strings For My SJ-200 RW
2 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

My string exploration continues. I have found a new favorite string for my Historic Collection Gibson SJ-200 Prewar (Rosewood B&S). They are John Pearse 310NM 80/20 New Mediums. These are Lights with medium E-B-E strings and light G-D-A strings. (.013 .017 .024 .032 .042 .055

First thing first, these took the warmth factor up a notch. It was a paradoxical result for me at first. I expected brighter, not warmer. The more I thought about it, the more this makes sense. The E-B strings gain thickness, which means more lower end tone than with thinner strings. That changes the overall balance to be less bright and a little deeper low end. That warm bottom-end thing the SJ-200s can have is delivered by the bucket with these on there.

Try this on. Imagine those old strings some folks like that lose their zingy brightness after a few months and you get to enjoy the mellow, warm tones. Now, imagine what you would have hoped those strings would have sounded like brand new. This might be where I would land with that thought. Very warm with nice, tamed, not so aggressive highs and mids. Simply stated, just plain "pleasing".

These are close to my favorites for my SJ-200 Standard (Maple B&S), which are the John Pearse 80/20 lights (.012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .053). What I liked about the lights seems to be amplified with the New Mediums. I am trying these New Mediums on the SJ-200 Standard when I get this guitar back from Gibson.

I've tried a few sets of JP strings. They are nice.

My wife had stuck with John Pearce strings on her 1960 J200 for maybe 20 years,  She has only recently switched her loyalty to  Santa Cruz strings.  The thing is though our J200 is structurally a very different beast from the Bozeman versions so I do not have a clue how applicable my wife's taste in strings would actually be.

On my very first string change on my maple 2020 Historic 1957 SJ-200 I went from factory PB's to John Pearse 80/20 lights and they were superb.

My guitar is super warm and I don't think those JP New Mediums would work - it doesn't need any more bottom end.

I bought more JP's but I'm also trying different brands and types in between string changes.

GHS Bright Bronze were just a little too bright and didn't show signs of warming as they wore in - D'Addario Nickel Bronze have great volume, were also quite bright when new but settled down after a couple of days and are sounding really good too.

6 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

On my very first string change on my maple 2020 Historic 1957 SJ-200 I went from factory PB's to John Pearse 80/20 lights and they were superb.

My guitar is super warm and I don't think those JP New Mediums would work - it doesn't need any more bottom end.

I bought more JP's but I'm also trying different brands and types in between string changes.

GHS Bright Bronze were just a little too bright and didn't show signs of warming as they wore in - D'Addario Nickel Bronze have great volume, were also quite bright when new but settled down after a couple of days and are sounding really good too.

I tried a set of GHS Vintage Bronze 85/15 Bluegrass on the Maple SJ-200 this past February and was not thrilled. My notes said something about semi-bright and uninteresting. It was after a month of John Pearse 80/20 Lights, so almost no chance they were gonna impress me.  The Lights went on something soon thereafter, but didn't make it long at all due to some strangeness. Might have been something unwinding on me.

I used Nickel Bronze a lot for over a year, but they did not do well with my old microphones. Screeching noises. I've since replaced the mics. I should try them again sometime. I liked them for casual playing plenty.

I've got a battle of La Bella PBs going on between the Hummingbird and the D41. The Living Room has been loud this week. A friend was over playing guitars with me and the SJ-200 with these new mediums stole the session. Tonewise, yes, and has been that way since I got it. Never volume-wise, though. And no tone was sacrificed.

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

My wife had stuck with John Pearce strings on her 1960 J200 for maybe 20 years,  She has only recently switched her loyalty to  Santa Cruz strings.  The thing is though our J200 is structurally a very different beast from the Bozeman versions so I do not have a clue how applicable my wife's taste in strings would actually be.

Do you recall how long the JPs used to last for your wife?

I've got two sets of the Santa Cruz in my basket just waiting to get put on. They'll get their chances this Summer when HVAC season comes along.

5 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Actually, these are the strings I have put aside to try out on my SJ-200.

JPUzNvEh.jpg

I've got a set of those DR 80/20's, too., that are waiting to be tried. I didn't buy them the first time around. I think their brightness speak scared me a bit.

I'll be curious to know if any of those GHS strings you will try to anything for you.

I've got the Rotosound Jumbo Kings waiting, too. I've not got a set of Tru Bronze. Their description says something about a scooped mid sound. That might be interesting upstairs in my little home studio.

9 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

JPUzNvEh.jpg

I was not a fan of the Rotosounds or the EB Earthwoods.

Curt makes some nice strings.

I have a pack of DR Rare (green banner on the pack) in waiting when the 12'er needs a new set.

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was not a fan of the Rotosounds or the EB Earthwoods.

Curt makes some nice strings.

I have a pack of DR Rare (green banner on the pack) in waiting when the 12'er needs a new set.

Those DR Rares on a 12-string should be interesting.

• 1 month later...

Man, those JP New mediums are a tough act to follow. To that end.....

On 5/6/2021 at 1:06 AM, Brucebubs said:

JPUzNvEh.jpg

Bruce, have you tried those DR 80/20's yet? I put them on my RW SJ-200. These things are very different. I've had them on for 4 days now. I finally figured out their happy zone as installed this guitar. It's quite good for that fast, hard, but not very deep strumming thing. At first I had wished I saved these for the Hummingbird.

I didn't like them for much else, though. There were times I thought the warmth was comparable to the JP's, but it seemed to be mushy unless I didn't strike it just right. Some basic flat picking, hybrid picking and other non-strummy things just did not project nor define well.

One other note on the Santa Cruz Parabolic strings mentioned earlier. My Martin D-41 for a good solid day before the D-string just starting doing some crazed hyper-buzzing like it was about to snap. $19 down the drain. 

No I haven't tried them yet, in fact I haven't tried any of those strings pictured. I made the mistake of trying D'Addario Nickel Bronze lights and they're sounding and playing nicely and I just can't bring myself to pull them off for no real reason ... but I'm getting close.

7 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

No I haven't tried them yet, in fact I haven't tried any of those strings pictured. I made the mistake of trying D'Addario Nickel Bronze lights and they're sounding and playing nicely and I just can't bring myself to pull them off for no real reason ... but I'm getting close.

I understand! I think I've mentioned those NBs were my go-to for a couple years on the Maple SJ-200.

Maybe just me, but I prefer phosphor bronze on my one & only Rosewood guitar. (J-45) to me they just bring it to life more than 80/20 ‘s do. I use 80/ 20’s on everything else. Maple, & Mahogany.  I use various different brands.

6 hours ago, Paul14 said:

Maybe just me, but I prefer phosphor bronze on my one & only Rosewood guitar. (J-45) to me they just bring it to life more than 80/20 ‘s do. I use 80/ 20’s on everything else. Maple, & Mahogany.  I use various different brands.

I REALLY like the PBs on my Martin RW for the reasons you mentioned. They do well on my RW SJ-200, too. I think barbed wire would sound good on this one.

6 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I REALLY like the PBs on my Martin RW for the reasons you mentioned. They do well on my RW SJ-200, too. I think barbed wire would sound good on this one.

There's a few guitars out there I'd love to compare my maple Historic 1957 SJ-200 with and your rosewood Historic Pre-War would be at the very top of my list!

There was one for sale in Melbourne and it was sold the day they put it on display.

4 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

There's a few guitars out there I'd love to compare my maple Historic 1957 SJ-200 with and your rosewood Historic Pre-War would be at the very top of my list!

There was one for sale in Melbourne and it was sold the day they put it on display.

I feel the same about my 2000 J-200. (Maple) ever time I pick it up I’m amazed.