Gibson Brands Forums

Switch end pin on my J-45 for a better strap button solution?

PatDie

Hey there,

I’m finding it hard to put on my guitar strap to the endpin of my J-45. Here is a picture of the screw that some of you are probably familiar with. I know there are many solutions to secure your strap no matter how thin the pin is, but I'm just wondering why I can't find any replacement solution for the the thing that you can screw off the endpin jack itself? Do you know of any after market nut that is beefier or conical?

Some images to illustrate my question:

Cheers, Pat

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-05 at 14.56.16.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-05 at 20.54.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-05 at 14.56.16 (1).jpeg

Edited by PatDie

2 minutes ago, PatDie said:

Hey there,

I’m finding it hard to put on my guitar strap to the endpin of my J-45. Here is a picture of the screw that some of you are probably familiar with. I know there are many solutions to secure your strap no matter how thin the pin is, but I'm just wondering why I can't find any replacement solution for the the thing that you can screw off the endpin jack itself? Do you know of any after market nut that is beefier or conical?

Cheers, Pat

If your ditching the electronics, Stew Mac makes a thing called NoJac.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/endpins-and-bridge-pins/nojak-endpin.html

I wouldn't want to ditch the electronics; also, it shouldn't be a big deal to have that screw that comes off as an after market product in different forms and sizes? Or am I forgetting something structural here?

I did find this: https://musicworldacademy.com/products/m9b_acoustic-strap-secure-m9-b-original-natural-brass-metric-thread

Which would probably fit that purpose. But there's no such thing available here in Germany. Maybe ask a friend to 3D-print it? Not ideal, but surely better than the common solutions I've found so far (and that are available in Germany).

36 minutes ago, PatDie said:

I did find this: https://musicworldacademy.com/products/m9b_acoustic-strap-secure-m9-b-original-natural-brass-metric-thread

Which would probably fit that purpose. But there's no such thing available here in Germany. Maybe ask a friend to 3D-print it? Not ideal, but surely better than the common solutions I've found so far (and that are available in Germany).

I like that they call it A.S.S.

Pat,

I had the same problem with my 2001 j45 which originally had a pick-up which was removed before I bought it, but still had the input jack end pin.

After some research, I decided the available fixes were unsatisfactory, and for me the easiest solution was to make my own mushroom-shaped plug from five-minute epoxy that is pressure fitted into the female input jack, and holds the strap securely in place. Got the guitar about eighteen months ago, made the plug about a year ago, and have had no problems with the strap coming off or even loose.

If you are handy, and have access to an electric drill and some files, this is a fairly simple project. If you are interested in making one, let me know and I'll explain the process.

RBSinTo

8 hours ago, PatDie said:

Hey there,

Cheers, Pat

I just cut my strap with scissors fits better 

8 hours ago, PatDie said:

Hey there,

Cheers, Pat

Best thing since sliced bread and sleeves on a shirt were developed.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/acoustic-strap-secure-brass-metric-thread-525431

It's actually a smaller version made by the same guy referred to earlier. It's called Strap Secure. I have them on any of my LR Baggs end pin jacks. Words great. These fit the threads, but the original ones by Marcus were a bit bigger around. should still be fine. I have two already one waiting on my guitar to come home.