Gibson Brands Forums

Monkee farewell tour

jvi

14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

thx I figured as much, (Davy Jones gone and all,) that leaves P. Tork as the odd man out??   anyway,  Nesmith did write most of that stuff if I recall correctly..

Peter died in 2019.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

They've been touring every couple of years for a long time. Since 86 and with a little help from MTV, its been Mickey ,Peter and Davey, with MIke joining in for the occasional one off.

Seen them several times and had the honor of meeting them backstage after meeting Mr. Jones in our airport as he came into town for their show. He gave me and my family free tickets and backstage passes and couldn't have been nicer.

Very cool -- While it may not be Rush or Yes (who I also love), I think the Monkees are great -- and it would be super fun and entertaining to see them.  They don't have any scheduled Colorado shows, so I will likely be missing it.  But they get the "big up check" from me!

sd-1519141091-sa2si4yhqh-snap-image

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kidblast said:

thx I figured as much, (Davy Jones gone and all,) that leaves P. Tork as the odd man out??   anyway,  Nesmith did write most of that stuff if I recall correctly..

Tork as "odd man out"?  Did it slip your mind that Peter Tork died  Feb. 21 2019?  [confused]

If you recall correctly, it was TOMMY BOYCE and BOBBY HART that wrote the lion share of Monkees tunes.  With a NEIL DIAMOND  contribution("I'm A Believer") .   And too, a few Nesmith tunes towards the end of their tenure. 

Whitefang 

15 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Tork as "odd man out"?  Did it slip your mind that Peter Tork died  Feb. 21 2019?  [confused]

If you recall correctly, it was TOMMY BOYCE and BOBBY HART that wrote the lion share of Monkees tunes.  With a NEIL DIAMOND  contribution("I'm A Believer") .   And too, a few Nesmith tunes towards the end of their tenure. 

Whitefang 

Yeah The Monkee's were not playing much other than singing on their albums. They did do a little.  It was a lot of the Wrecking Crew and studio musicians. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I was in Vietnam when The Monkees came out..  They weren’t even on my radar. I was into Cream, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, The Stones & of course The Beatles. 

A few years back, while all 4 were still alive,  my daughters gave us tickets to see The Monkees for my BDay gift.. They thought, I was a big fan I guess?

Anyhow, we went. I wasn’t expecting much.. But, they played all the Instruments extremely well & sang the songs as good as the Records! They did have some really good Songs.. Stepping Stone, Believer & several others that hit the Top 40....

They were really talented & very entertaining.. Now with only 2 left I don’t know if it would be the same... Although, Mickey did sing almost all of their Hits... Except, for Davy on Daydream Believer.... 

3 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I was in Vietnam when The Monkees came out..  They weren’t even on my radar. I was into Cream, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, The Stones & of course The Beatles. 

Neat trick, as The Monkees came out in '66 and  The Doors and Airplane didn't release any recordings until '67.  Except Airplane, but their earliest recording was with a different line-up than we know best.  And got no significant airplay.  

I was into the TV show a bit, and as John Lennon was too(calling them "The Marx Brothers of rock'roll")  You can't deny they made some bit of impression.  Enough for Frank Zappa to go onthe show at least.  [wink]

Whitefang

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Neat trick, as The Monkees came out in '66 and  The Doors and Airplane didn't release any recordings until '67.  Except Airplane, but their earliest recording was with a different line-up than we know best.  And got no significant airplay.  

Are you really going to tie Larsongs strictly to that exact moment in 1966 when the first episode aired??  Just "maybe" he was discussing the 1966-68 years which is the 'overall timeframe' that the Monkees came out?? 

I was in the Army Jan. 66-Dec. 68... I was stationed near Wash D.C. I don’t recall watching any TV in 66... When we got time off we were in D.C. & Georgetown.. Partyin’ our asses off..

Dec. 67 - Dec. 68 I was in Vietnam... No TV there either... I wouldn’t have had time for it anyway.. 

When I came home I didn’t watch TV for years........ I did play in RnR bands but nobody played Monkee songs at that time... I was unfamiliar with them as they didn’t get airplay on FM Radio either.....

Missed all of their early stuff..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

A few years back, while all 4 were still alive,  my daughters gave us tickets to see The Monkees for my BDay gift.. They thought, I was a big fan I guess?

Anyhow, we went. I wasn’t expecting much.. But, they played all the Instruments extremely well & sang the songs as good as the Records! They did have some really good Songs.. Stepping Stone, Believer & several others that hit the Top 40....

They were really talented & very entertaining.. Now with only 2 left I don’t know if it would be the same... Although, Mickey did sing almost all of their Hits... Except, for Davy on Daydream Believer.... 

Did you see them at the OC Fair? I think I saw them there but can’t remember exactly. My friends and I used to do a cover of Stepping Stone and it was always really fun and went over well. Not sure how many people realized it was a Monkees song 

7 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Did you see them at the OC Fair? I think I saw them there but can’t remember exactly. My friends and I used to do a cover of Stepping Stone and it was always really fun and went over well. Not sure how many people realized it was a Monkees song 

I didn’t see them there, I saw them a Humphreys on the Bay in San Diego....

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang 

it must have b/c I thought he was still alive...  

first real amp I got as I went down the gas-hole was a Super Beatle, could be because I saw them every week on the M show, could have been the beatles too. what ever it was, watching that show was a good for seeing cool gear ( and the car )  and hearing fun songs. Now as Im older I think Ive gained respect for them even tho they were not as rad or bad as my usual tastes of the time.  also , they wernt the only folks to use writers  for a lot of the  songs.... right Elvis ?     Gotta catch the last train so cheers.... have a "pleasant valley sunday "  and to any Mothers around,   have a GREAT  day,   we wouldnt be here without you.

• Like 1

Many many Artists & Bands have had their Songs written by other Song Writers.. It was the way it used to be.. Very common, forever...

Til The Beatles came along..... There were a few Singer Songwriters... Del Shannon, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran but they were the exception, not the rule.... Even The Stones were a Cover Band for their first Albums...  

It was how it was done in the early days......

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Many many Artists & Bands have had their Songs written by other Song Writers.. It was the way it used to be.. Very common, forever...

Til The Beatles came along..... There were a few Singer Songwriters... Del Shannon, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran but they were the exception, not the rule.... Even The Stones were a Cover Band for their first Albums...  

It was how it was done in the early days......

I have no issue with that, but when you are thought to be a band and play the music on the albums you make and you don't . . .  its deceiving. Did Rush or Yes have people play on their albums and take credit for it or try to pass it off as if they did. NO.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Are you really going to tie Larsongs strictly to that exact moment in 1966 when the first episode aired??  Just "maybe" he was discussing the 1966-68 years which is the 'overall timeframe' that the Monkees came out?? 

Apparently he was in the Army at the time of The Monkees' debut.  Had he mentioned that in the first place it might have helped.  But then again, a couple or so of the bands he mentioned weren't heard of at the time he joined the service,  and also he did never state the period of his Viet Nam tenure.   If he was there in '66 when they DID come out, then he really couldn't have been into Cream or The Doors at the time.  But he wasn't in Nam till Dec. '67,   more than a year  after the band's debut.

18 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I was in the Army Jan. 66-Dec. 68... I was stationed near Wash D.C. I don’t recall watching any TV in 66... When we got time off we were in D.C. & Georgetown.. Partyin’ our asses off..

Dec. 67 - Dec. 68 I was in Vietnam... No TV there either... I wouldn’t have had time for it anyway.. 

When I came home I didn’t watch TV for years........ I did play in RnR bands but nobody played Monkee songs at that time... I was unfamiliar with them as they didn’t get airplay on FM Radio either.....

Missed all of their early stuff..

You only missed a few nice tunes, but not a whole lot.  But, that's an "ear of the beholder" sort of thing.  [wink]

The earliest "basement band" had a drummer who was a major Monkees freak.  Took a bit for his musical tastes to mature, but  not long as he was the first person I knew to buy a Jethro Tull LP( '68)  and a Ten Years After LP('68 again)    As the band I was in formed in early '66 we did a couple Monkees tunes,  but also some Wilson Pickett and Sam and Dave (and very poorly  [blush]) and sadly,  The Rationals' version of "Respect"  (Echhh!  my BOWELS churn at the memory!)   

I still like a few of their old tunes for old time's sake, and still think this one, written by all four of 'em, is kinda cool.  [wink]

Whitefang

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have no issue with that, but when you are thought to be a band and play the music on the albums you make and you don't . . .  its deceiving. Did Rush or Yes have people play on their albums and take credit for it or try to pass it off as if they did. NO.

It was made clear from the start that the guys playing the band members on the show weren't the ones playing the music on their records.  Even though three of them had experience as musicians with Davey Jones only having musical theater experience, which is why, I suppose, they made his character the lead singer, non musician of the group.   And Dolenz did play guitar and was once in some band, but he agreed to play the drummer and even took drum lessons in order to  be able to "fake" it for the program.    Nesmith was a semi-successful singer/songwriter before taking the job, and Peter was goaded to try out for the show after friend and fellow musician Stephen Stills failed to pass the audition due to funky looking teeth.  Friends insisting Tork and Stills resembled each other enough that Tork ought to give it a try.   Heh!

Could you imagine The Monkees with Stephen Stills?  [flapper] 

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I guess you have issues with Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin & most other Artists & Bands of the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s etc & even now......

By the 60’s the Music Business was a real Assembly Line machine... It was common for Session Musicians to do the Instrumental Studio Recordings. They were fast, good & cheap. No Royalties to worry about.. The Singer would then sing to the Tracks & the Band would learn to Cover the music... Then the Suits sent the Groups on tours.. That’s how it was done.. Probably 80-90% of the Hits you heard on the Radio were done that way....

Then Artists became hip to Publushing & Writers Roylaties! Then everyone was a Writer! Which explains why Music has become increasingly worse over the years... Most people can’t Write Hits... Most people write poor to mediocre songs... Writing Hits takes Talent & Magic... That’s rare..

30 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I guess you have issues with Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin & most other Artists & Bands of the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s etc & even now......

By the 60’s the Music Business was a real Assembly Line machine... It was common for Session Musicians to do the Instrumental Studio Recordings. They were fast, good & cheap. No Royalties to worry about.. The Singer would then sing to the Tracks & the Band would learn to Cover the music... Then the Suits sent the Groups on tours.. That’s how it was done.. Probably 80-90% of the Hits you heard on the Radio were done that way....

Then Artists became hip to Publushing & Writers Roylaties! Then everyone was a Writer! Which explains why Music has become increasingly worse over the years... Most people can’t Write Hits... Most people write poor to mediocre songs... Writing Hits takes Talent & Magic... That’s rare..

Sinatra, and the others a just singers and not called a band.