Gibson Brands Forums

Monkee farewell tour

jvi

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The popular music of the day in the '10 and '20 was Jazz, and not Miles Davis's Jazz. Here are some for the big ones from the '10's and '20's, Louis Armstrong, Scott Joplin, Jelly Roll Morton, Enrico Caruso,  Al Jolson Benny Goodman, and Tommy Dorsey.

The early Blues from the 20’s was very influential in the 60’s.... Its still great to listen to....

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I mentioned earlier in this thread that Peter was friends with Stephen Stills and a bunch they both hung out with at The Troubadour.  And that Stills and the others goaded him into trying out after Stills didn't pass the audition due to his jenky teeth,  saying he resembled Stills enough to possibly get the gig.  [wink]

Whitefang

Sorry I missed it but I didn't have the time to read through every post! 

14 hours ago, Retired said:

Sorry I missed it but I didn't have the time to read through every post! 

S'alright, man.  [smile]

14 hours ago, Retired said:

And Joni Mitchell.  Deb named a bunch of them. 

Yep. She hung out for a time at the Troubadour.  Not hard to imagine David Crosby among that bunch as well.  

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The piano and her vocals on the song Court And Spark gives me chills when I listen to it.

A lot of Joni's songs do that to me.  [wink]   Especially "Blue" and "Hejira" . Also "Turbulent Indigo".  [cool]

Whitefang

On 5/11/2021 at 10:14 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The piano and her vocals on the song Court And Spark gives me chills when I listen to it.

I listened to her all the time in the 60's & 70's. Deb said she was the inspiration of many but I have never followed musicians the way she did any most of you guys.  Just like Hollywood, I'll watch a film but since I married Deb, I get the lowdown on, Who's who and married to this person, she has theses kids, what their names are, how old they are, how many people they were married to. Its unbelievable of her knowledge. Maybe she belongs on here, she plays piano. Lol

On 5/12/2021 at 11:03 AM, Whitefang said:

S'alright, man.  [smile]

Yep. She hung out for a time at the Troubadour.  Not hard to imagine David Crosby among that bunch as well.  

A lot of Joni's songs do that to me.  [wink]   Especially "Blue" and "Hejira" . Also "Turbulent Indigo".  [cool]

Whitefang

Blue and Hejira and great albums. Don Juan has some good stuff on it but should have been a single LP.  I have all of her stuff form Ladies Of The Canyon to Don Juan. Blue and Court are my fav's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Can't pick a "favorite" but like some JUST a bit more. Like:

For The Roses" and "Hejira".   "Court And Spark" is on their heels though, and my favorite track on it is "Just Like This Train".  Like DYLAN, Joni was great at writing lyrics with vivid mental images.

Whitefang

9 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

There was a recent Rockumentary about Laurel Canyon & the Musician scene there during the 60’s.... Great show!

It may be on your Cable stations...

I saw it. I think it was called Echo In The Canyon..

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw it. I think it was called Echo In The Canyon..

That is another one.. I haven’t watched that one yet but look forward to it.... There is also a David Crosby Doc that goes into those early days in Laurel Canyon & other parts of his career... A bit of a downer though on this one...

12 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

That is another one.. I haven’t watched that one yet but look forward to it.... There is also a David Crosby Doc that goes into those early days in Laurel Canyon & other parts of his career... A bit of a downer though on this one...

I want to see the David Crosby, but haven't yet.

I just looked on Amazon its called just Laurel Canyon.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I want to see the David Crosby, but haven't yet.

I just looked on Amazon its called just Laurel Canyon.

Laurel Canyon is a 2 Part Documentary.. I watched it a while back & it was excellent... Here is a Preview.. 

Edited by Larsongs