Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

J45 / J200 comparison video


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Granted it is opinion but it is based on  both guitars rock & roll pedigree.  The Harmony Sovereign is all over the Stones LPs in 1964 and 1965, was used by Townsend on "The Who Sell Out" and "Tommy".  The Sovereign though is probably best known for being the guitar Jimmy Page used to work out the songs on the first three Zep LPs and to record "Stairway.."  Keef started to use the Hummingbird on the Aftermath LP.  If nothing else the fact it was used to record "Street Fighting Man" and  "Jumping Jack Flash' would place it on the Mount Everest of Rock & Roll Acoustics.  

Right, but then you have Clapton and Harrison. Clapton was a Les Paul guy... until he was a Strat guy. Harrison was a Rickenbacker guy... until he was an SG guy. The J-45 has been on as many rock records as the D-28 has. Everyone has their idea of what works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Right, but then you have Clapton and Harrison. Clapton was a Les Paul guy... until he was a Strat guy. Harrison was a Rickenbacker guy... until he was an SG guy. The J-45 has been on as many rock records as the D-28 has. Everyone has their idea of what works.

Clapton also played an early 1960's ('63 or '64--can't remember which) red ES-335. It's know as the Crossroads guitar, since it was apparently used on the Cream album with the "Live from the Fillmore" version of Crossroad.

You can catch glimpses of it in this video. 

Crossroad

Of course, Clapton could play on anything and it would sound great.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back a bit to the broader frequency ranges discussed a page ago, I remembered having a page bookmarked from a long time ago. It's kind of a nifty page that has expanded since the last time I looked at it. The numbers are not absolute nor do they apply to every song. There are certainly numbers that are way off compared to my room or others I may have seen tutorials on. It's not the point. The point is more relative as to how guitars, specific models and other instruments and vocals might play well or not play well together.

It's pretty easy to see the approximate areas of concern listed in the charts and relate them to how my SJ-200 might be easier managed than my Hummingbird. Look and see how Entwhistles' bass might interfere with guitars.

PreSonus EQ Article

Scroll down a bit and there is these two charts. In no way is this realistic for every situation for every song in every room, but it can give you a bit of an idea of how things might fit or clash within contexts of a mix or performance with other instruments.

EQ_FREQ_3_.png

EQ_Frequency_Range_2012.png

 

Edited by BoSoxBiker
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 7:20 PM, j45nick said:

That's a totally different consideration, and I understand why you have the preferences you have.

I forgot to mention that I perform solo a lot. So it's basically a lot of strumming and singing by myself. I've tried some guitars like a D-35 and other "brighter" guitars and for my needs, they just didn't seem to fit like my Southern Jumbo... which as we all know is basically a J-45. Once I tried the Jumbo I was like, this is absolutely perfect. It yields when I want it to yield, it yells when I want it to yell. It can be quiet and feminine or, if pushed, it can boom and rumble. It's tone and projection sort of just sits there with my voice instead of trying to drown it out or distract from it like the D-35 did. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

I forgot to mention that I perform solo a lot. So it's basically a lot of strumming and singing by myself. I've tried some guitars like a D-35 and other "brighter" guitars and for my needs, they just didn't seem to fit like my Southern Jumbo... which as we all know is basically a J-45. Once I tried the Jumbo I was like, this is absolutely perfect. It yields when I want it to yield, it yells when I want it to yell. It can be quiet and feminine or, if pushed, it can boom and rumble. It's tone and projection sort of just sits there with my voice instead of trying to drown it out or distract from it like the D-35 did. 

Well, you are confirming what many of us have known for a long time: The Gibson J45/J50/SJ is the perfect guitar for the singer-songwriter. 

The original discussion here related to the J45 vs the SJ 200 in a rock-n-roll setting, which typically includes amplified or pure electric instruments such as an electric bass and maybe electric guitars, drums, and even keyboards. This has a whole different set of considerations from the solo performer situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Well, you are confirming what many of us have known for a long time: The Gibson J45/J50/SJ is the perfect guitar for the singer-songwriter. 

The original discussion here related to the J45 vs the SJ 200 in a rock-n-roll setting, which typically includes amplified or pure electric instruments such as an electric bass and maybe electric guitars, drums, and even keyboards. This has a whole different set of considerations from the solo performer situation.

Here we get into amplified sound and how it is amplified. There has been much discussion on various ways of amplifying acoustic guitars and that is a different can of worms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a J200 and a J45TV.  Like the two guitars shown, both are easy-to-live-with.  It all depends on what each of us likes.   Each of my guitars has a little something that for me makes them a bit different from each other.  With my style and technique I don’t know that how loud a particular guitar is means a lot.  I just know that for me, each of my Gibsons fill a particular niche for my music.....and at any given time they each fill the same niche.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...