Gibson Brands Forums

Small long crack on brand new j45 hard to see

You can’t see it inside even with a flash light only in the sunlight it’s like 4 inches long or so can only see in bright sunlight no other way guitar came this was as it’s new and I haven’t done anything to it been around 70 degrees and 45% to 50% humidity for over a month now just realized this taking it outside to get some photos  is this going to be a long term problem or no big deal?A21CDC6F-AAFC-4B83-9876-AF919678BD6D.thumb.jpeg.8a792db25d194f2af235914ea1b6b4e5.jpeg

That doesn’t look like a crack to me-it looks like an indentation in the lacquer. I’ve had them on newer guitars when friends have played them wearing rings/bracelets or having keys in their pocket. It tends to happen when the guitar is very new and the lacquer hasn’t had time enough to fully cure.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

If it's a flaw in the lacquer, it should be able to be polished out....  I have some 2-stage guitar polish..... a polish.... a real fine polish that you apply with a micro-fiber cloth.

You can polish out a dent in lacquer tell me how? Virtuoso? Ur gonna say that anit ya lol I ordered some what’s with all the hype about that stuff I have Gibson restorative cream that didn’t work I have carbuna wax please explain did you have the same issue? Thanks

2 hours ago, Jinder said:

That doesn’t look like a crack to me-it looks like an indentation in the lacquer. I’ve had them on newer guitars when friends have played them wearing rings/bracelets or having keys in their pocket. It tends to happen when the guitar is very new and the lacquer hasn’t had time enough to fully cure.

This guitar was made in March 21 got it a month ago wasent me tho I wear cotton long sleeve shirt to play 

Just now, Asphaltcowboy said:

You can polish out a dent in lacquer tell me how? Virtuoso? Ur gonna say that anit ya lol I ordered some what’s with all the hype about that stuff I have Gibson restorative cream that didn’t work I have carbuna wax please explain did you have the same issue? Thanks

I've never done it... I've never had that issue to deal with....I said it SHOULD be able to be polished out... much like you would with a defect in a car's paint, (I have done that).     I have the 2-stage kind.... you use the 'red' one first, then the 'blue' one to get the luster back.    I've used it to polish out surface scratches...never had a flaw in the lacquer.

55 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Very similar to the marking that I have on a J-45 variant.  Also located on the side in the mahogany. Bought new, the guitar was a limited run of 50, and the second one I'd owned. Customer Service was contacted, who offered a return authorization, but I preferred not having the trouble or risk of cross country shipping for a cosmetic thing that was not in a particularly visible location. And yes, Virtuoso Cleaner then V. Polish did reduce it's appearance quite a bit. Deciding not to "see" it or worry about it also helped.

Looked consistent with woodworm tunneling. Did it get past QC during wood selection? Or . .  ?

Woodworm boring damage in timber:

cechFNu.png

Dang that’s what the inside of your guitar looks like? Did Gibson authorize return or other retailer sweetwater is junk horrible customer service only answer me when I wanna buy or have a simple question … return? Exchange?? Won’t reply guitar center from now on 

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

Very similar to the marking that I have on a J-45 variant.  Also located on the side in the mahogany. Bought new, the guitar was a limited run of 50, and the second one I'd owned. Customer Service was contacted, who offered a return authorization, but I preferred not having the trouble or risk of cross country shipping for a cosmetic thing that was not in a particularly visible location. And yes, Virtuoso Cleaner then V. Polish did reduce it's appearance quite a bit. Deciding not to "see" it or worry about it also helped.

Looked consistent with woodworm tunneling. Did it get past QC during wood selection? Or . .  ?

Woodworm boring damage in timber:

cechFNu.png

Looks like the oak island treasure map.  

My beloved Hummingbird is not my original Hummingbird. My original had that lacquer thing show up on the treble side of the lower bout. It also had a very thin crack. The crack nobody could explain. I took it out of the case one morning and the issue was as obvious as a mole between the eyes. (long story short for once) I picked the replacement up after being set up and the original guitar's flaws were hard to see. I'm really glad I brought it in for their guitar department manager to see the moment I saw it. My best guess is a seasonal weather change and the difference between a functioning HVAC verses their old, run down HVAC.

4 hours ago, 62burst said:

Here is the clip of mine I'd sent to Gibson:

I can tell you the cause of that: someone somewhere played that guitar with his keys still in his pocket causing the impression in the lacquer and wood.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

JInder nailed it out of the gate:  Nitro takes a long time to harden/cure.  If you leave a capo on, you'll find out.  This doesn't look anything like a crack in the wood. Not an abrasion or wood worm tracks or termites.    Probably a hang tag string while it was in the case.  Sometimes, if the nitro is still 'wet' the impressions will smooth out a bit.   If I were me, I'd leave it alone for a year+ and then, if you still are bothered by it  - get some type of 'scratch remover'.  Maguires makes some for cars that is also used.  Remember - you're not raising the impression. You're taking nitro off down to the lower level of the impression.  I'd love it and leave it.   

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

JInder nailed it out of the gate:  Nitro takes a long time to harden/cure.  If you leave a capo on, you'll find out.  This doesn't look anything like a crack in the wood. Not an abrasion or wood worm tracks or termites.    Probably a hang tag string while it was in the case.  Sometimes, if the nitro is still 'wet' the impressions will smooth out a bit.   If I were me, I'd leave it alone for a year+ and then, if you still are bothered by it  - get some type of 'scratch remover'.  Maguires makes some for cars that is also used.  Remember - you're not raising the impression. You're taking nitro off down to the lower level of the impression.  I'd love it and leave it.   

Interesting it was made in March 2021 I got it last month April I did use a capo has a bit for weird dent thing up the neck I leave it in the case with humidipaks because I’m a trucker. I don’t wanna leave it alone for a year tho dang lol

42 minutes ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

Interesting it was made in March 2021 I got it last month April I did use a capo has a bit for weird dent thing up the neck I leave it in the case with humidipaks because I’m a trucker. I don’t wanna leave it alone for a year tho dang lol

Take it with you, but recognize that it may only be in perfect cosmetic condition the day it leaves the plant in Bozeman.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't take care of it, but it is a reflection of reality with regard to virtually any guitar that gets played.

Welp,  That nitro is surely still 'fresh'.   No need to leave her alone - just don't go putting things on the finish that might leave a lasting impression - like a capo or a tuner.   Or like the time Sir Bob put a harmonica on top of his J45 and closed the case lid on it.   Then someone else stacked stuff on top ...  All the Kings Horses and All the Kings Men ...    Do you take yours on the road? Leave it in your truck?   There was a trucker on here a couple of years ago with that dilemma.  G'Luck !  

My J45TV has a spot like that in the lacquer.   I bought it used and don’t know if it was there before or if I put it there.  Either way, it’s not that noticeable and it’s one-hell-of-a-guitar.........We’re all different and if you dig the guitar and having it corrected is important to you, then have it done.   Whatever you do, I hope the guitar turns-out the way you want it.