Gibson Brands Forums

Learnt some Tal Farlow

cody78

A few months back I posted a video of some Joe Pass I'd learnt and now I thought I'd post the most recent tune I've been working on which is Tal Farlow's version of Autumn Leaves. I played it on my 2010 Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster which might interest some of you on here. 

Tal Farlow Autumn Leaves cover - YouTube

Edited by cody78
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Fine job! That's some seriously dedicated study you put in there Cody78.

Salut

3 hours ago, brad1 said:

Wow! You can really play the guitar well.  That was fantastic![thumbup]

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Fabulous playing!!

🙂

Glad you all enjoyed it 🙂 Thanks for the nice comments. 

Cheers everyone. I appreciate the comments. Thanks 🙂 

Yeah, the ES 5 has 3 pickups, 3 vol and 3 tone controls and a 4 way selector switch for each individual pickup or all three. I think this layout would have worked well on the Phoenix (or however you spell it), but would probably look too cluttered on a Les Paul. I do have a '57 Reissue LPC  with 3 pickups in my collection and I love both the LP and ES 5 equally. 

Edited by cody78

Dug out my Tal LPs.   I have "Autumn Leaves" on 'The Interpretations of Tal Farlow' and 'Tal Farlow '78' which is a brilliant LP.  On the former he uses a very low bass string.

I was fortunate enough to see him at least a couple of times and get some LPs signed. That was back in the 80s.  

[thumbup]

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jdgm said:

Dug out my Tal LPs.   I have "Autumn Leaves" on 'The Interpretations of Tal Farlow' and 'Tal Farlow '78' which is a brilliant LP.  On the former he uses a very low bass string.

I was fortunate enough to see him at least a couple of times and get some LPs signed. That was back in the 80s.  

[thumbup]

I would have loved to see Tal. I bet that was a great experience to meet him and get your LP's signed. I have both those albums on CD and agree they are brilliant. I really like the album 'Tal' too (if you've heard that one?) and his versions of 'Anything Goes', 'Chuckles' and 'You Don't Know What Love Is'.

I didn't realise he used a bass string, I just thought he just detuned the A string by an octave.  On my cover version I didn't detune the A, because I liked the way it sounded in regular tuning. Aside from my little improvisation at the beginning I played it as close as possible to the original (having learnt it from a very accurate transcription). I just need to get around to leaning this little variation he plays on  the second time through and then it should be 100% accurate. I played the first section over twice instead until I learn that part. 

Edited by cody78

On 5/12/2021 at 1:10 PM, cody78 said:

I didn't realise he used a bass string, I just thought he just detuned the A string by an octave. 

You may be right - I just heard the low notes and assumed he must have replaced or detuned the low E.  I love the "Sign Of The Times" album...among others. 

And I salute your playing as I know what went into it.

There is a very good film about Tal - the one where he meets Lenny Breau.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1