Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from New Jersey

CNJ

Hello Grassy, nice to hear from you.  Since I retired, I try to spend some time every day and play.  I try to be somewhat disciplined with time spent on learning a new skill or song, practcing technique, then some free time.  Hope you can find the motivation and fun to keep up your guitar playing

Regards!

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, CNJ said:

Hi jricc, nice to have you here.  I grew up not too far from you in Elizabeth.  Still live in NJ, at Exit 135.

Regards,

Tom

Born in NJ at Passaic General. I grew up in Cali and the whole what exit you from still kills me and you guy confirm its a thing.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:58 PM, CNJ said:

Hi jricc, nice to have you here.  I grew up not too far from you in Elizabeth.  Still live in NJ, at Exit 135.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom, I'm still here too, on the Jersey Shore.

Best.

joe 

On 6/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Born in NJ at Passaic General. I grew up in Cali and the whole what exit you from still kills me and you guy confirm its a thing.

Hi Sgt.  yeah it's a real thing.  It's some kinda short-hand slang thing, since we all know what towns are at each exit.  The only other true NJ thing is the venerable "Official State Sandwich" - Taylor Ham, Egg & Cheese on a Kaiser roll.

On 6/22/2021 at 7:45 PM, jricc said:

Hi Tom, I'm still here too, on the Jersey Shore.

Best.

joe 

Hey Joe,  Friday nights and Monday mornings must be a pleasure with the shore traffic ramping up.  My brother lives in Point Pleasant, but we visit on the week days during the summer just to avoid the two hour commute instead of the usual 45 mins during the rest of the year.  Enjoy the shore, very cool place indeed!

• Thanks 1

I love Taylor Ham and Entenmann's. My mother and father were the first to escape New Jersey to California in 1968. A few years after that my Grandparents on my mothers side came and in the mid 70's both my mother's brother's and their wife's and kids (my uncles, aunts and cousins) followed suit. Before they moved out  to Cali for good, when they would come visit us, they would bring Taylor Ham and Entenmann's crumb cake for us. Cause back then you could not just go down to Kroger's and buy it like today. I remember devouring many an Taylor Ham samich and scarfing down crumb cake.

I was introduced to White Castle when I went out to visit my aunt, uncle and cousin on my fathers side in the summer of 1981. 

When I was in the USCG from 2006 - 2010 I was on a Team and we traveled and troubleshoot issues on CG boats and cutters (as the CG calls them). I used to have to go to Cape May and Sandy Hook to work there quite often and when I did I always got White Castles and Taylor ham when I could. Of course nowadays you can go to any store and get Castles frozen, but we all know they are not the same as hot off the grill. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1