Gibson Brands Forums

61 SG Reissue (2002) scratch removal

funkymonk1985

Hi all, 

I could really do with some advice on this one. I bought a 61 SG Reissue from 2002 and it has a fair few scratches on it that look fairly unnatural. You can just about feel them with your nail and I'd ideally like to get rid of them, but the nitrocellulose finish concerns me. Can I use simichrome style stuff here or will it ruin the finish? I have tried the Gibson restorative finish cream and it really hasn't done much to remove the scratches, so I wonder how dangerous it might be to try a more aggressive scratch remover? Really appreciate any sound advice. Thanks! 

I couldn't link so many pictures so I've done a short video of the scratches on YouTube. 

P. S. The final thought is I can just leave it as is but am worried it may not hold its value so well. 

4 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Simichrome is for metal, not guitar finishes.

Meguiars has various scratch removal products, I would look there,

Thanks for this. Yes I forgot to mention simichrome is more aggressive as its usually for metals. But there's a few videos of it working wonders on guitars finishes, albeit the thicker urethane finishes. So worried it may damage my nitro finish. Will check out meguiars. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Jeeze.. it looks like a previous owner took a something like a scotch brite pad to the finish. 

I can't say I'm optimistic for you.

like Steve said Scratch X 2.0 (Maguires) may help.

Stew Mac has a scratch remover too, but  I don't know if it'll do any better job than Scratch X

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/cleaners-and-lubricants/colortone-scratch-remover.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-05-gp&gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609RefMs83qohNd5SDbVW_Hwx_16OM04ptWKXWGo9Xn2G0KwmXdSer5kihoCXHcQAvD_BwE

There is also  the "Players Kit" from Eterna Shine, that is pretty good too,

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Guitar-Scratch-Remover-Eternashine/dp/B008NRF8R2/ref=asc_df_B008NRF8R2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312165945081&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15103965279449613397&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060252&hvtargid=pla-571115065135&psc=1

but I'm not sure anything will really fix as a DIY project

good luck

What it looks like is someone used sandpaper to try and relic the guitar and did a poor job

You won't be able to polish that out

I would say you'll need to bring it to a guitar repair shop. 

Nitro is pretty maliable and they probably could put another layer of Nitro on it and smooth out surface 

1 minute ago, kidblast said:

Jeeze.. it looks like a previous owner took a something like a scotch brite pad to the finish. 

I can't say I'm optimistic for you.

like Steve said Scratch X 2.0 (Maguires) may help.

Stew Mac has a scratch remover too, but  I don't know if it'll do any better job than Scratch X

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/cleaners-and-lubricants/colortone-scratch-remover.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-05-gp&gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609RefMs83qohNd5SDbVW_Hwx_16OM04ptWKXWGo9Xn2G0KwmXdSer5kihoCXHcQAvD_BwE

There is also  the "Players Kit" from Eterna Shine, that is pretty good too,

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Guitar-Scratch-Remover-Eternashine/dp/B008NRF8R2/ref=asc_df_B008NRF8R2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312165945081&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15103965279449613397&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060252&hvtargid=pla-571115065135&psc=1

but I'm not sure anything will really fix as a DIY project

good luck

Thanks kidblast. Much appreciated!

While it likely wont work, I think I might try the StewMac scratch remover 1st.

Following that; it depends on how deep the scratches are, I would cautiously try to use a series of fine graded polishing papers. The starting grade should be  slightly finer that the scratches. Its the sort of thing I normally use for fret polishing after crowning. 

This is the sort of product I'm talking about 

6 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

While it likely wont work, I think I might try the StewMac scratch remover 1st.

Following that; it depends on how deep the scratches are, I would cautiously try to use a series of fine graded polishing papers. The starting grade should be  slightly finer that the scratches. Its the sort of thing I normally use for fret polishing after crowning. 

This is the sort of product I'm talking about 

This sounds promising. Just to check, when you say the starting grade, you mean the finest grade? 

Thanks for all the replies peeps! I have gone for the maguire X2 and the 3m papercloth to hopefully make it all a little more subtle / blended in for a more natural wear look. I was planning to sell this but if I mess it up I may end up keeping it! 😅 It's a shame really, because it's a wonderful guitar and I'm sure it will sound that way once I've done a full set up with new strings. The previous owner was a jazz player and had 12s on in D standard tuning. So I'm expecting a little neck adjusting once I put 10s on. 

4 hours ago, funkymonk1985 said:

This sounds promising. Just to check, when you say the starting grade, you mean the finest grade? 

No. Start with the coarsest grade. The one a little less rough than the scratches. Abrade only enough to remove the peaks. Then a slightly finer grade to follow. By the time you reach the finest one, it should look like a polished finish.

The only misgiving I have about this is the thickness of your nitro finish. You don't want to be rubbing right through it!

Hi all. So. I've had a go and am. Really chuffed with the results. It my first ever go at anything like this but the main point is that the purposeful and ugly marks are gone, albeit for some more hazy looking areas but that's only in the right light. It looks a million times better already and I think I'm happy to leave it there. Thanks for all the advice! 

• Like 2