Gibson Brands Forums

Hall Of Shame

Sgt. Pepper

I don't recall hearing the Go-Go's much and certainly don't own any of their music, but I saw a documentary on them a few months ago.  They were the first all female band that played all their own instruments, wrote their own material, sang their own songs, and had several number one hits.  Toured worldwide, sold millions of albums, fell into the traps of many other rock bands like in fighting, disputes over who should get writing credits and royalties, cocaine, heroine, alcohol abuse so they did everything the big rock bands did so they probably should be in.  (Is there a tongue in cheek emoji?)

21 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

Plunkett is not the only 2-time-winning Super Bowl QB not in the HoF.  Eli Manning is a 2-time-winning Super Bowl QB (both times against Tom Brady and the Pats, no less), and Eli's not in the Hall.

Is Eli eligible yet. I though a player has to wait 5 years after they retire to be eligible.

7 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I don't recall hearing the Go-Go's much and certainly don't own any of their music, but I saw a documentary on them a few months ago.  They were the first all female band that played all their own instruments, wrote their own material, sang their own songs, and had several number one hits.  Toured worldwide, sold millions of albums, fell into the traps of many other rock bands like in fighting, disputes over who should get writing credits and royalties, cocaine, heroine, alcohol abuse so they did everything the big rock bands did so they probably should be in.  (Is there a tongue in cheek emoji?)

They should have an Our Lips Are Sealed emoji.

What about the group Fanny?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is Eli eligible yet. I though a player has to wait 5 years after they retire to be eligible.

He is not yet eligible.  But he IS a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB not in the Hall.  Plunkett is not the only one, just the only one currently eligible.

I think the Foo Fighters have done ok and are probably worthy for what ever it means (which is nothing really is it)..   I like Dave Grohl.  I respect what he did in starting a new band after the loss of Kurt.. They have been going for many years now and I liked their first few albums.. Sadly as they have gone on the albums have just got more formulaic and boring..  But still..  They did a gig at Wembley Stadium with Jimmy Page and JPJ as special guests.. Now to my mind thats pretty good by most peoples standards even if you dont like their music

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Correct, Sgt Pepper.  Eli is not eligible for the HoF, and won't be for another FOUR years, which -- (guess what) -- makes Jim Plunkett the only HoF  ELIGIBLE quarterback with two SB wins that is not in the hall.  

(Not only that, Eli's numbers are strong and he played for New York.  He will absolutely get in the HoF which makes the correction even dumber.  Someone owes me the handful of IQ points that I lost just reading it.)

jim-plunkett-autographed-oakland-raiders

I wouldn’t call Rap and Hip Hop Rock & Roll.  They’re not even close to MoTown or R & B.  It’s all a personal thing and generational thing.  I’ve made-up CDs with Cash, Dylan, The Stones, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Judy Collins, Ian Tyson, The Animals, Dave Clark Five,  Patsy Cline, Ronstadt, Hoyt Aston, Percy Sledge,  and Janis......and many, many others..   For me they all contributed to the R & R era and became icons for tens-of-millions of us.  And beyond that, I love the music.

12 hours ago, Retired said:

OK,  Rock:  "Stone, solid part of the earth's surface. large piece of stone."  Lol. I could't resist.  

I actually think "Rock 'N Roll" was a street term for  'making out' (if you know what I mean).

Ah, we're all grown ups here(by age anyway  [wink])  you could have posted that "rock'n'roll" was once the "urban" (PC for "black")  slang for the sex act.  From around the mid -'40's to the early '50's.   Incidentally, years before that ,  JAZZ was once slang for it too.  And by the way......  (and even earlier it was "jass"  before jazz [see below].

Those of us who've come of age in the '60's might recall that one slang term for sex that was popular was "ball"  (you might recall the Led Zeppelin lyric, "I got a woman like to ball all day").  Which begs the question.....

What DID Little Richard mean when he said, "Good golly, Miss Molly/  Sure like to BALL"?   [omg]

Whitefang

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ah, we're all grown ups here(by age anyway  [wink])  you could have posted that "rock'n'roll" was once the "urban" (PC for "black")  slang for the sex act.  From around the mid -'40's to the early '50's.   Incidentally, years before that ,  JAZZ was once slang for it too.  And by the way......  (and even earlier it was "jass"  before jazz [see below].

Those of us who've come of age in the '60's might recall that one slang term for sex that was popular was "ball"  (you might recall the Led Zeppelin lyric, "I got a woman like to ball all day").  Which begs the question.....

What DID Little Richard mean when he said, "Good golly, Miss Molly/  Sure like to BALL"?   [omg]

Whitefang

Let's not even get into what Little Richard was singing about "Tutti Frutti"!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

What did Zeppelin mean by Squeeze My Lemon?

I think you mean what did Robert Johnson mean by "squeeze my lemon" which is where Led Zep got that from?   

In the late 1980s, Robert Plant in interviews referred to David Coverdale as "David Cover-version" based on Whitesnake's clear borrowing from Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" for Whitesnake's "In the Still for the Night".  Kinda of ironic, though, considering Led Zep had to settle out of court with Willie Dixon for their plagiarism of his "You Need Love" for Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".  Don't get me wrong ... I enjoy Led Zeppelin far more than Whitesnake.  Just pointing that out.

• Thanks 1

You could do a whole thread on euphemisms in blues and rock n' roll.....an important part of "what it's all about" IMO.   Examples?  There are many.

When Albert King sings "laying in my arms where you ought to be, there's a big cockroach looking up at me" is the Flying V-wielding bluesmaster really singing about the insect?

And when Paul Rodgers of Free sings about "riding on a pony, in the middle of the night" is he actually truly considering a nocturnal equine excursion? 

I think not.

Frankly.....[wink]

Edited by jdgm

Ironically, Warrant's Cherry Pie album was originally going to be called Uncle Tom's Cabin after the song of that name, and it was  -- maybe -- the best track they ever did.  As the album was soon to release, the record company applied pressure to Jani to write a song like Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me.  So, he did ... and he wrote Cherry Pie which was obviously a huge hit, but made Jani as he said "the Cherry Pie guy".  It ended up being a huge regret for him (... and all of us that ever heard the song).  

43 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Ironically, Warrant's Cherry Pie album was originally going to be called Uncle Tom's Cabin after the song of that name, and it was  -- maybe -- the best track they ever did.  As the album was soon to release, the record company applied pressure to Jani to write a song like Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me.  So, he did ... and he wrote Cherry Pie which was obviously a huge hit, but made Jani as he said "the Cherry Pie guy".  It ended up being a huge regret for him (... and all of us that ever heard the song).  

Cheers.. Didnt know any of that. From what I remember Cherry Pie was the first and then last song we ever had over this side of the pond from them..  A proper career killer that..

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Cheers.. Didnt know any of that. From what I remember Cherry Pie was the first and then last song we ever had over this side of the pond from them..  A proper career killer that..

If you have not heard it, check out the song Uncle Tom's Cabin ... great track.  I am not a huge Warrant fan, by any means.  But that is a solid rocking track.  I give credit where credit is due.

Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin (Official Video) - YouTube

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Another old euphemism that made it into 20th century R*B and Rock and Roll:  Jelly Roll.  

Yep.  Another slang vay-jay reference.   And too, when the man sang(in a blues tune I can't recall the title of) "Im going downtown/ Just to get my hambone boiled."  [wink]  A real ham bone wasn't what was meant.

Whitefang

Okay ... back to the Hall of Shame topic at hand:

As many of you are already aware (sorry for that), I am the resident Supertramp apologist here ... a mantle I fully accept as they are strongly in my top-5 favorite bands, for sure.  But how on God's green earth can a band that has sold in the area of 80 million albums with tons of hits worldwide, along with always being named on "top-50 albums of all time" lists not even be in the conversation for the HoF???  It is mind boggling to me, and, honestly, quite infuriating.  Supertramp was an awesome mix between prog, straight-up rock, and pop with brilliant musicianship, singing, and songwriting -- and they did it over many albums, with huge success.  They are still being used in commercials currently.  The HoF has accepted Rush, Yes, and the Moody Blues.  Next should be Supertramp.  And Supertramp is not heavy metal ... you would think they would get in just cause of that!!!!

Supertramp-GettyImages-85511024.jpg