Gibson Brands Forums

Hall Of Shame

Sgt. Pepper

15 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

If you have not heard it, check out the song Uncle Tom's Cabin ... great track.  I am not a huge Warrant fan, by any means.  But that is a solid rocking track.  I give credit where credit is due.

Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin (Official Video) - YouTube

Yeah it was ok.. For that sort of thing. The thing for me with that sort of music is I did used to like it when I was in my teens. I wasnt in to that many of those type bands but did listen to Motley Crew and Skid Row (my first ever gig was Skid Row). Now when I listen to it, it just all sounds the same. Nothing particularly inspiring but as I say, it was what it was  in its day, nothing wrong as such but I think we have all moved on since then  🙂 

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yeah it was ok.. For that sort of thing ...

By Warrant standards, though, it was KILLER (LOL, LOL) -- As I stated above, I am not a big Warrant fan either, and am certainly not their (ahem) apologist.  Yeah, just because it was maybe the best thing they ever did, and a million times better than "Cherry Pie" ... the question has to be asked, "Well, so what?"  I have knitting needles that I would rather shove into my ears than listen to "Cherry Pie" or most of their other material ... or any Def Leppard from that era, especially "Pour Some Sugar On me" which is just as bad.  While I appreciated many of the "hair metal" guitar players technical proficiency, I really did not like the music very much.  I am proud of myself that -- looking back -- I never bothered to buy albums from or see in concert Skid Row, Ratt, Dokken, Winger, Motley Crue, or Warrant.  My wife loves Crue, so we went to go see them a few times years later in the early 2000's, and they can be very entertaining live depending on if Vince's voice is on or off.  But I learned to really appreciate Mick Mars; he is the trem master.  Now Van Halen or Randy Rhoads ... well, for me, that was a completely different story ... 

b27bc27aac6a31cd27ddd5c14f413bce.jpg

randy-rhoads-front-row-photographs-.jpg

Edited by 01GT eibach

23 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Okay ... back to the Hall of Shame topic at hand:

As many of you are already aware (sorry for that), I am the resident Supertramp apologist here ... a mantle I fully accept as they are strongly in my top-5 favorite bands, for sure.  But how on God's green earth can a band that has sold in the area of 80 million albums with tons of hits worldwide, along with always being named on "top-50 albums of all time" lists not even be in the conversation for the HoF???  It is mind boggling to me, and, honestly, quite infuriating.  Supertramp was an awesome mix between prog, straight-up rock, and pop with brilliant musicianship, singing, and songwriting -- and they did it over many albums, with huge success.  They are still being used in commercials currently.  The HoF has accepted Rush, Yes, and the Moody Blues.  Next should be Supertramp.  And Supertramp is not heavy metal ... you would think they would get in just cause of that!!!!

Sure.  I get ya.   I wouldn't put them in my top 5, but pretty damn close.  [wink]  As far as the HoF is concerned, I'll agree they should have been inducted long ago.  WAY before Donna Summer, Madonna and Janet Jackson. :rolleyes:  My Supertramp collection is pretty anemic.  Just "Crisis?  What Crisis?"  and "Breakfast In America".   I should get on the stick and beef it up more.  Not sure, but I think they were the first(if not the only) rock band to use CrO2  recording tape near the waning days of analog recording. Pretty revolutionary for the times, anyway.

Whitefang

On 5/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, Whitefang said:

Sure.  I get ya.   I wouldn't put them in my top 5, but pretty damn close.  [wink]  As far as the HoF is concerned, I'll agree they should have been inducted long ago.  WAY before Donna Summer, Madonna and Janet Jackson. :rolleyes:  My Supertramp collection is pretty anemic.  Just "Crisis?  What Crisis?"  and "Breakfast In America".   I should get on the stick and beef it up more.  Not sure, but I think they were the first(if not the only) rock band to use CrO2  recording tape near the waning days of analog recording. Pretty revolutionary for the times, anyway.

Whitefang

Yeah, you need Crime Of The Century and Quietest Moments. Several months back I got pretty cheap (I think $20 total) Live In Paris '79. It has two CD's and one DVD (concert film) of a different day of one of the Paris Concerts. Its got a lot more songs than the Paris album or CD.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:26 PM, 01GT eibach said:

If you have not heard it, check out the song Uncle Tom's Cabin ... great track.  I am not a huge Warrant fan, by any means.  But that is a solid rocking track.  I give credit where credit is due.

Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin (Official Video) - YouTube

I agree 100%. I'm no where near a Warrant fan, but that's a great song.