Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson availability

Mr. Paul

The big question in my mind is the possible lost economic opportunity by not moving more resources to bang out the higher dollar guitars that can't be found. Would it have been better to push the new "inspired by" and similar lineup launches until next year after expanding the factory. This 2020 Historic Collection campaign has been huge, even if certain models have not been. Looks like the J-55, 1934 Jumbo and even the J-35 have been slow movers. The Slash J-45s might be around for 2-3 years before they sell. The big iconic models are hard to find right now, though. Been interesting, for sure.

All kinds of other questions pop up, too, with the timing of the lower priced lines. A couple examples: Is the new lineup appearing to succeed due to timing of lower amounts of traditional offerings? How many improved USA Epiphones can be made in the resource space of the Standard or higher end guitars?

And finally, even knowing that the big gub'ment cheese-bucks coming this way would have an impact, could anyone have ever predicted certain higher end models would be flying off the shelves? If I'm planning all of these moves, I am most certainly not banking on what we're seeing today with higher end SJ-200's flying off the shelves.  

I think I'm also lucky to have my Historic 1957 SJ-200 here in Australia. I've seen this model listed in a couple of stores here but 'Not In Stock'.

A Historic Pre-War SJ-200 arrived in a big Melbourne store and sold on the same day.

Edited by Brucebubs

Based on a very quick look, there seem to be quite a few available at Sweetwater and Guitar Center, maybe that's where they all went? Shouldn't have looked, as I saw one that interested me at a reduced price. 😅

14 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Based on a very quick look, there seem to be quite a few available at Sweetwater and Guitar Center, maybe that's where they all went? Shouldn't have looked, as I saw one that interested me at a reduced price. 😅

The Sweetwater site is a little odd to figure out at first. They let you add it to the cart sans actual stock. I guess it's on the way there?

It's not just Gibsons that are hard to find.  I wanted a smaller size Collings and my guy said he could order one, but it would probably be 8 months to get it.  I found one in Tucson, AZ and snapped it up as they would pay the shipping.  I recently got interested in Eastman guitars as it seems they offer some nice sounding dreads with Adirondack tops at very reasonable prices.  Looked up the closest dealer (about an hour away) and they listed several models, on their website,  with a photo of the guitar, but underneath them all it said "Out of Stock".  There is another guy an hour in the other direction that is a Martin dealer who deals mostly in the higher end stuff (D-28s, D-35s) and he has a some used in his store, but only one or two new ones.

@BoSox - Sweetwater will let you purchase the guitar and put it in your cart and that reserves the next one they get for you - unless 5 other guys have done the same thing then you get the sixth one they receive.  I'm pretty sure they don't charge you anything until it comes in and they ship it to you.  

In April I ordered a L-00 Standard Vintage Burst from Sweetwater with the understanding they were out of stock, but, on order.

I was told that delivery could possibly be in May, but, most likely June. I gave my card number which would not be charged until I received said guitar. That insured I was on the list.

I received the guitar on the 13th of this month and was thrilled! They apparently received 3 of them and one was already marked sold! That one was mine.

I love that little guitar!

3 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Is this shortage due to low production (due to reduced working hrs during the pandemic), high demand, or both?

Lars

I believe covid and construction could be the reason for the slow down.  

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's not just Gibsons and Martins ...   Sig Sauers are impossible to find. 

True enough.    It could be good opportunity for small builders to step in and show there wares and talent of building.        

23 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

How many improved USA Epiphones can be made in the resource space of the Standard or higher end guitars?

I do not understand this part Resource space.

Is the Inspired By line similar to the strategy of Gibson making all of the less expensif offbrands in the 1930's?

18 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

I do not understand this part Resource space.

Is the Inspired By line similar to the strategy of Gibson making all of the less expensif offbrands in the 1930's?

The term "resource space" was a reference to the amount of resources used to get that particular product developed, built and shipped. My post was just a different angle on it all.

• Thanks 1

In general,  a manufacturing facility has a range of outputs, or finished products it can turn out depending on alternative combinations of equipment, tools, skilled and un-skilled workers working second shifts, floor space, and raw materials.  Expanding floor space does nothing to increase the number of standard J-45s you produce if you can only spray on sunbursts one at a time in a dedicated, custom booth.  Or, if you only have one worker who can perform that critical part of the process and he won't work overtime.  H'Birds -  if your supplier has similar issues and can't provide you with double the number of engraved pick guards - you have a limitation there and would have to produce other models.   And another potential bottleneck, even if all other pieces are not limiting - is your CNC equipment.  Overlaying all this, obviously, is the question of markup/profit on each model.   I think it would be safe to say none of us here have enough information on the variables and the alternatives to second guess Bozeman's plant manager.  And then, there is the other variable: Quality.     

And then there is the one nobody seems to want to discuss, but that is and has been a reality for quite some time now.  The fed window is literally giving money out.  Large scale financial operations and credit and banking organizations are "lending" at retarded low rates.  No business in their right mind that can exist without doing anything is going to do anything.  Free money from the government through the various programs of the last 24 months plus literally free money from the money changers?  Why do anything when you can bank at least 4% on the money you only owe .01% on?

This is not an editorial on the programs in place or the ways corporate entities are surviving and thriving, or an editorial about Gibson.  It is just facts.  Gibson is technically in receivership, three plus years now.  This corporate entity owes it to themselves to do as little as possible for as much as possible.  Making guitars is probably the last thing on their minds.

rct

Edited by rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

And then there is the one nobody seems to want to discuss, but that is and has been a reality for quite some time now.  The fed window is literally giving money out.  Large scale financial operations and credit and banking organizations are "lending" at retarded low rates.  No business in their right mind that can exist without doing anything is going to do anything.  Free money from the government through the various programs of the last 24 months plus literally free money from the money changers?  Why do anything when you can bank at least 4% on the money you only owe .01% on?

This is not an editorial on the programs in place or the ways corporate entities are surviving and thriving, or an editorial about Gibson.  It is just facts.  Gibson is technically in receivership, three plus years now.  This corporate entity owes it to [i]themselves[/i] to do as little as possible for as much as possible.  Making guitars is probably the last thing on their minds.

rct

You're making a lot of assumptions while at the same time saying you're not editorializing, made worse by using the term retarded in an unnecessarily offensive way. 

ProPublica allows you to search every PPP loan recipient and neither Gibson nor any of their brands appear to have taken anything. 

The supply issues all industries are seeing in terms of production and distribution are a much larger factor than fat cats sitting back in their chairs counting the money. There's a local bike manufacturer near me that as a wall of bike frames ready to be sent out- but they can't get packing material. doesn't have anything remotely to do with their willingness to work

• Like 1

Facts:  Money is free, and those words mean a lot in our economy.  Facts:  Companies very often exist under umbrellas of money that you can't follow, especially privately held entities like Gibson.  If you don't think they are taking full advantage of the now couple years old business environment, as the bond holders that own the company attempt to get back the money Gibson owes them, that's fine, you don't have to.

Interest at the window is in fact that low.  I'm sorry the entire gist of what is going on is lost on you for one word that you find offensive.  

rct

What a shame that we can't use the free money from our stimulus checks to buy guitars we don't need because Gibson is making more from arbitrage than they do from building guitars. 🤣

You can call the facts regarding our economic policy and system and how they are driving business "creating dark money narratives" if you'd like.  You can also take Econ 101.

The day will come, long from now, you will be looking back and cursing like everyone else.  You got had, same as it ever was.

rct