Gibson Brands Forums

EB 2 S or 5 hand written manufacturer label

Weird Gipson ba

I have Gipson bass EB 2 with a hand written manufacturer label inside. The model is labeled as EB 2 S or 5. Anyone have any information why the label was hand written and not stamped. I am guessing by the serial number it was made between 1965 and 68. It has an extra set of pickups but only two knobs unlike the EB 2 D models. 

Alot of model numbers were hand written.  Serial numbers should of been stamped.   Gibson years like 1905 ,10  the serials were hand written. But. On the neck block  a factory order number was stamped on these,     Yours might have that as well.  

The label is all hand written including the serial number.  The serial number matches the block number on the head. Ihead.  I was thinking that it was custom made with the extra pickups. 

20 hours ago, Weird Gipson ba said:

I have Gipson bass EB 2 with a hand written manufacturer label inside. The model is labeled as EB 2 S or 5. Anyone have any information why the label was hand written and not stamped. I am guessing by the serial number it was made between 1965 and 68. It has an extra set of pickups but only two knobs unlike the EB 2 D models. 

I don't know the how much this bass is worth. I would like to find out more about the bass before I make an attempt to sell it.  The extra pickups looks factory I don't know if it's a rare gituar or  one that the pickups were added by an individual. Since the label has the model number different with extra numeral or letter.  

I have both a 1967 EB-2C & a 1967 ES-335C that had the orange oval sticker missing. The EB-2 was ordered without a hand rest & the ES-335 was ordered custom with a Bigsby, it has a “CUSTOM” TRC. I assume that, at least in 1967, if you ordered something different they skipped the orange label & just stamped a FON inside the body. Anybody else run into this?