Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, Let me ask a stupid question.

LPguitarman

When you see, for example, Multiple Marshall Stacks on stage, are they all being used at the same time, daisy chained?  If so, why?  Do you use switches to switch between amps for different settings?  Are they just for stage sound?  Are they just for looks?  I know this can vary depending on the band/guitarist, just wondering what the logic is.  Especially if one cabinet is mic'd. and other cabinets are not.

1 minute ago, jdgm said:

Jimi used to daisy chain 3 full stacks.

But modern guys?  Naahh.....P.As are so much bigger and better now.

Yes, but what was the reason?  Did he not go through the PA?  If not it would be the reason many older musicians go deaf.

I could understand switching between multiple amps for different tones/settings.  Never understood what daisy chaining does.  Do the individual heads, set at different settings, do something for the tone / volume?  What do you do with the multiple amp footswitches?  Again, stupid questions...

Oh 

35 minutes ago, LPguitarman said:

I could understand switching between multiple amps for different tones/settings.  Never understood what daisy chaining does.  Do the individual heads, set at different settings, do something for the tone / volume?  What do you do with the multiple amp footswitches?  Again, stupid questions...

Go to 28.45 for more info on all this.

...I've seen them live and yep they are all on and pretty dammned loud. FOH be damned, its about pushin' air and bleedin' ears!!

Edited by 'Scales

1 hour ago, LPguitarman said:

Yes, but what was the reason?  Did he not go through the PA?  If not it would be the reason many older musicians go deaf.

All I know is that some of the old Marshall heads had 6 jack sockets and you could put a guitar in one and take a parallel line out to another head from another. 

You can see this in the Hendrix IOW I think and possibly Maui, maybe even Woodstock.   Townshend would have done it in the Who, and I think there are pix of Jack Bruce in Cream with leads coming in and out of Marshalls too.    The reason was smaller PAs, not much (if any) monitoring and - I suppose - mainly that sound reinforcement as we know it today hadn't been developed back then, and the guitar sound we heard was coming from those huge stacks rather than mic'd into a big PA. 

Dinosaur Jr - that's a loud band.  When he stomps on a pedal......[omg]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

Ritchie Blackmore once said he used Marshall stacks on stage because it looked more impressive than having a Vox AC 30 on a stool ...  he said he met Jim Marshall back in the day and asked him to make him a Marshall that sounds as good as his Vox ...

• Like 1

At a 1968 concert with SPIRIT and CANNED HEAT(and Bubble Puppy)  on the bill,  Henry Vestine of Heat had a virtual wall of Marshall stacks.  Sure sounded loud enough for them to all be hooked up.  [scared]  Especially in the 4500 seat Masonic Temple Auditorium.

Whitefang

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LPguitarman said:

Several concerts that Deb & I have gone to made their audience go deaf.  It's the reason about 8 years ago I started taking roll up ear plugs to every concert just in case?  A few of them, even that was inadequate and we walked out on two. 

18 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Oh 

Go to 28.45 for more info on all this.

...I've seen them live and yep they are all on and pretty dammned loud. FOH be damned, its about pushin' air and bleedin' ears!!

Thanks for sharing.  Never understood why people use different gear in the studio vs. live.  Seems to me you'd want to duplicate your signature as much as possible.  I like his choice of strings.  Same ones I have been using for years.

About the only thing J had a definitive answer for was what strings he uses. I saw them at Lollapalloza in '93 when Alice In Chains and Primus where on the bill. I think Dino Jr only played about 9 songs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Good question. I just naively assumed that each stack was for a different instrument.

I cant really see the point of using several heads for one instrument. Of course you need to match the output to the speakers. Is that why?

The best solution would have been to use a bigger amp and a shed load of speakers.

th?id=OIP.0HE_RLMcMQ0BAlCnw9Is7AHaFM%26p

4 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Good question. I just naively assumed that each stack was for a different instrument.

I cant really see the point of using several heads for one instrument. Of course you need to match the output to the speakers. Is that why?

The best solution would have been to use a bigger amp and a shed load of speakers.

th?id=OIP.0HE_RLMcMQ0BAlCnw9Is7AHaFM%26p

How would you like to be Bill with all those speakers hanging over your drum kit?

• Like 1