Gibson Brands Forums

Second Guitar: ES-335 or J-45

I've been learning guitar for coming up on 6 months now and have been thinking of getting another guitar (well several though one at a time). Today the high e string has an odd metallic almost sitar sound, a quick search indicates its likely the nut or saddle, but it'll need to go to a luthier either way. Taking it in will most likely mean leaving it there for at least a couple of days, thus leaving me with what could end up a perfect reason to get a second guitar.  

I'm on a Hummingbird and was considering one of the D28 variations, an ES-335, or J45. I'm still finding my feet, but learning guitar to accompany myself singing  (baritone mostly r&b (modern and older styles), some pop-fusion, acoustic covers). Max budget is about $5k, so leaning towards custom shop models like the banner '45 reissue for example.

All in all, to this newbie all 3 seem fairly versatile and could play a lot of different styles, but I'd like some advice or opinions on which might be a wiser choice for second guitar especially considering the tonal characteristics of a hummingbird. Obviously when I go to try them out my ears will be the final judge, but was interested in hearing the thoughts of those more experienced. 

^^^
What SP said.  I don’t own or know much about acoustics so I can’t help you out much there.  I do own an ES-335 and it is unquestionably the most versatile electric guitar I own.  And as SP said, if you shop around, you might be able to score both used with the budget you have.  Good luck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

^^^
What SP said.  I don’t own or know much about acoustics so I can’t help you out much there.  I do own an ES-335 and it is unquestionably the most versatile electric guitar I own.  And as SP said, if you shop around, you might be able to score both used with the budget you have.  Good luck.

The versatility of the 335 is the very reason it's on my list. Initially it was a Les Paul since it's a smaller body and I like the way they look. Thanks for the underscoring the versatility of the 335. 

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

See if you can get both of those used for under 5k used.

Well I'll be buying from GC (don't shoot) since I have a card with them and that banner J-45 re-issue really really needs to be in my collection. However, it feels too similar to a HB to justify getting as a second guitar and at that price, but then again it seems like one has to jump on what they are after when it's available rather than waiting. Also being still pretty inexperienced I'm a bit hesitant to buy used especially since it'll likely be through GC so most likely won't have the option to play before buying...and I'd hate to have all the used J-45s in GC inventory at their Union Square store because I couldn't find one or make up my mind (joking). Thanks for your advice 

6 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

What Karloff said. However, for true versatilely a good acoustic, a Stratocaster and an ES-3x5 will equip you for anything.

very true ... you've gotta have a nice acoustic, a Fender & a Gibson ... bare minimum ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hummingbirdguy said:

I've been learning guitar for coming up on 6 months now and have been thinking of getting another guitar (well several though one at a time). Today the high e string has an odd metallic almost sitar sound, a quick search indicates its likely the nut or saddle, but it'll need to go to a luthier either way. Taking it in will most likely mean leaving it there for at least a couple of days, thus leaving me with what could end up a perfect reason to get a second guitar.  

Leaving it for repair for a couple of days ain't going to kill you.  And DAMN sure less expensive than buying another guitar.

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Leaving it for repair for a couple of days ain't going to kill you.  And DAMN sure less expensive than buying another guitar.

Whitefang

In between string changes I usually order a guitar or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree about trying to find both Used if possible. In mint condition.. But, in doing so I would opt for a Martin HD28E 12 String or D-28E 12 String... You already have a great 6 String..

If I had to choose only one it would definitely be an ES335 with MHS Pickups & a Bigsby.... Or Used in mint condition..

You could GAS yourself with bunches more Guitars but you really wouldn’t need them.. Those 2 (or 3 if you go Used) would do just about anything you could ever want to do..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I agree.

If really you want another guitar go for it. However, you don't need another guitar. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all your feedback! I seem to have forgotten electrics are really popular around here lol. So the thing is I actually prefer acoustics to electrics on some level, in fact one of my favorite singers changed their image to become a singer-songwriter, the first time I heard their songs (20 years ago) something in me needed to learn to play those songs and six months ago I finally picked up the guitar. Concurrently I've always enjoyed the sounds of an electric guitar when listening to music, in fact next to the voice lead guitars are probably my favorite aspect of a song (actually it ties with electric bass, but one of those will come once I'm at least mildly decent with guitar). However, what I enjoy listening to and what I am most interested in playing are two different things, which is why I'm in the conundrum. There's what I can see myself doing in the short term (strumming, some fingerpicking, vocal accompaniment for youtube videos) versus what I would ultimately like to be able to do (solos. lead, and an instrument to fill out a mix when recording with my keyboard or the other acoustic).  Then there's the thought of aging: as guitars age they tend to sound better so part of me wants to get my lifelong acoustics earlier to give me more time to open and age them myself for a more personal relationship with each instrument. Considering I don't think I will ever reach a point in which a hummingbird or j45 don't sound pleasing to my ears despite what might be my favorite/most played guitar down the line I feel drawn to pick up another acoustic next. However, after reading that you all seem to agree a 335 would be the more strategic next purchase I think I may focus on them more than acoustics when I go to play what's available. 

Also, thoughts on 335 models? Is it really worth going with a re-issue or sticking with standard? Does the sound of an electric even change much over the years? 

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Go for the 335.

You've already got an acoustic you like.

yes, but there are other acoustics I like too though with a different sound. I'm also considering one of the variations of an (H)D-28, but thought it was sacrilegious to  mention them around here.

4 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I'm with Steve Ford, I would get a 335 to compliment what you already have. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Karloff said:

a 335 will ruin you. no other guitar will measure up once you own one. I play my other guitars more out of guilt than not wanting to play my 335 ...

LOL! I sure hope not, it's something about acoustics that will always resonate with me on some level

3 hours ago, Fish Crumpet said:

What Karloff said. However, for true versatility a good acoustic, a Stratocaster and an ES-3x5 will equip you for anything.

That's more or less my ultimate goal.  Someone on another forum basically recommended the same though it was either a Strat/Tele. It's just that my acoustic isn't the most versatile, though it's my personal favorite it seems to me a J45 or (H)D-28 or a J-200 would overall be a more versatile acoustic. Part of me was considering the value of doubling back to get what might have been the more utilitarian choice now that I have the one that makes my heart go pitter patter. 

3 hours ago, Karloff said:

very true ... you've gotta have a nice acoustic, a Fender & a Gibson ... bare minimum ...

Agreed! The thought of delving into electrics this early seemed a bit much I still want to learn so much on acoustic and electrics come with more elements to consider (e.g. amp, pedal, other effects, knobs, etc). With an acoustic, you pick it up and play. 

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

LOL! Knew someone was going to say that. You're right I sure can go a few days without it, but in truth I was already thinking about my next few guitars before even brining home the first and this is a perfect excuse to add another one 

48 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

In between string changes I usually order a guitar or two.

Considering how many guitars you've posted around here thats pretty spot on

42 minutes ago, LPguitarman said:

You already have an acoustic.  Get the 335.

That seems to be the consenus

19 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I agree about trying to find both Used if possible. In mint condition.. But, in doing so I would opt for a Martin HD28E 12 String or D-28E 12 String... You already have a great 6 String..

If I had to choose only one it would definitely be an ES335 with MHS Pickups & a Bigsby.... Or Used in mint condition..

You could GAS yourself with bunches more Guitars but you really wouldn’t need them.. Those 2 (or 3 if you go Used) would do just about anything you could ever want to do..

I'm too nervous to buy used and also I'm putting it on my GC card and idk how buying used works in terms of shipping/trying/exchanging or something because I would need to hear how it sounds with a very clear understanding that if it takes going through 15 guitars well c'est la vie, but I feel like they'd ban from the store after the first few. Also, I'm still getting a grasp of six strings and now you're throwing another six my way!? 

34 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I agree.

If really you want another guitar go for it. However, you don't need another guitar. 

Of course I don't...at least at this point, but it's an excuse to get another guitar. 

Believe me, you will love a Martin HD28E 12 String.. If you buy new & don’t like it most places offer a 45 Return or Exchange program...  That Guitar would be the best compliment you could buy in another Acoustic to go with the Guitar you already have.. WOW!

For Electric the ES335, with MHS Pickups which are most like the Holy Grail Original PAF Humbuckers, is the one to go for.... The Bigsby Makes the Guitar.. Trust me!

Buying Used from Reverb.com & GBase.com are Buyer friendly.. Both very reputable. In most situations that go to arbitration the Buyer wins... I’ve bought several Used & so have my friends.. 

Edited by Larsongs

I don't know what your playing plans are but to me, playing an electric guitar is more about having a band to play in than sitting by yourself and strumming and singing along.  Plus if you get a 335 then you also need an amp and that's a whole other can of worms.

Since you have a Hummingbird I don't think you need a J-45.  They are both mahogany bodies and will sound very similar - although as a Hummingbird owner myself I prefer them over the J-45.  So as far as I'm concerned I think you already have the Gibson mahogany thump covered. 

I'd suggest looking at acoustics with either a maple or rosewood body to give you something that sounds different.  There are tons of rosewood body guitars and with your $5K budget you can get great one.  There don't seem to be as many maple bodies to choose from but they are out there.  

I'd hang out near the counter in GC and try to sell that card to somebody purchasing some equipment and then you wouldn't be limited to what the local GC has to offer.  Sorry but my GC experiences over the years have not been that great.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:22 PM, SteveFord said:

True, he needs TWO guitars.

Get a 335 and an HD-28V and then be sure to post photos.

Both will be in my collection, we'll see how it turns out 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:30 AM, Larsongs said:

Believe me, you will love a Martin HD28E 12 String.. If you buy new & don’t like it most places offer a 45 Return or Exchange program...  That Guitar would be the best compliment you could buy in another Acoustic to go with the Guitar you already have.. WOW!

For Electric the ES335, with MHS Pickups which are most like the Holy Grail Original PAF Humbuckers, is the one to go for.... The Bigsby Makes the Guitar.. Trust me!

Buying Used from Reverb.com & GBase.com are Buyer friendly.. Both very reputable. In most situations that go to arbitration the Buyer wins... I’ve bought several Used & so have my friends.. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been trying to find some videos on youtube to get an idea of 12 strings to know what to expect, they sounds great (when someone else plays them) 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:51 AM, mihcmac said:

Hmm, what about a Rickenbacker 12 String?

Will look them up, thanks

On 5/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, Twang Gang said:

I don't know what your playing plans are but to me, playing an electric guitar is more about having a band to play in than sitting by yourself and strumming and singing along.  Plus if you get a 335 then you also need an amp and that's a whole other can of worms.

Since you have a Hummingbird I don't think you need a J-45.  They are both mahogany bodies and will sound very similar - although as a Hummingbird owner myself I prefer them over the J-45.  So as far as I'm concerned I think you already have the Gibson mahogany thump covered. 

I'd suggest looking at acoustics with either a maple or rosewood body to give you something that sounds different.  There are tons of rosewood body guitars and with your $5K budget you can get great one.  There don't seem to be as many maple bodies to choose from but they are out there.  

I'd hang out near the counter in GC and try to sell that card to somebody purchasing some equipment and then you wouldn't be limited to what the local GC has to offer.  Sorry but my GC experiences over the years have not been that great.

I've seen a few youtubers use an electric for solo covers and they sound pretty good. As you suggest though, my rationale for getting a 335 is more to provide another tone/instrument to include as I get better and begin to record covers and later original content. Considering the I like r&b/soul from the 50s up through to today it seemed logical to get an electric of some variety.  The required amp gives me pause as that's a whole different beast that I hadn't considered and at this point pedals are not even remotely on my radar. 

Your thoughts on the similarities between Hummingbirds and J45 were also concerns of mine and is what lead to considering Martin, Les Paul, or 335 (then later a Jumbo). However, I know I want a J45 in my permanent collection since it's so versatile. To my ear it seems a J45 can do almost everything a 45 can do, but a Bird can't do quite as much as 45 as well - though I prefer the sound of a Bird more. Considering Gibson has a banner 45 reissue currently in production with an aged Adi top at a point when the company is turning out really good custom shops seems almost foolish to pass up especially considering these guitars go for several times that of this reissuse and who knows how long they'll be around. 

From a tonewoods perspective some permutation of a D-28 would be a logical choice as well - it'd still be another acoustic that will be a permanent fixture in my collection, cuts through a mix better than a Bird, and would give me a chance to explore what Rosewood can do and how it plays with my voice. The J-200 or Dove are the only two maples Im really familiar with so that's something I'll look into some more. 

It seems a lot of people haven't had the best experience at GC. 

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

You could easily buy a new Martin HD28E 12 String.. If you dig Acoustics it would be a very complimentary Choice to your 6 String... Best of both Worlds...

Seems a couple people think a 12 string Martin is the way to go. They sound good tbh from what I've seen around youtube. I'll try one when I go in to test some out.

The E in Martin D28E or HD28E signifies it’s an Acoustic Electric Guitar.. Currently Martin employs either an LR Baggs or Fishman System.. Both are excellent.. It’s really worth it to spend a few more bucks for those. Especially if you plan to record or perhaps play with others... They can be run thru the Board for Recording or a PA for playing live... You don’t need necessarily need an Amp or Pedals..

I recommend getting an Acoustic Electric even if you get another Gibson or whatever... 6 or 12 string...

There is so much you can do with the Acoustic Electric versions... 

I’d say go with the 335 and amp. Since you’re into 50s R&B etc don’t even worry about pedals. Pedals aren’t necessary for most types of music but they really aren’t even desirable for a 50s sound

Also don’t worry about learning electric vs acoustic or lead vs rhythm. There’s nothing inherently more difficult about lead playing and it’s often very easy in the type of music you’re talking about. If you can play acoustic you can play electric

• Like 1