Gibson Brands Forums

Sprained wrist %$#&%$#

Gilliangirl

I had to spend my days off at a Social Work Conference this weekend (for my licence) and we ended the day doing yoga, supposedly to de-stress. I sprained my wrist! I've never sprained my wrist before so I'm not even sure that's what it is, but I can't turn it, it's really hot to touch and it hurts. Does that sound like a sprain? And, if so, how long before I can play guitar again? It's my left hand, wouldn't you know it. I was sooo looking forward to playing guitar tomorrow on my ONE day off.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. I'd wrap it snugly with an elastic band to restrict movement, take something that agrees with you for inflammation and give it 3-4 days to calm down. If it's not better in that time and shows any swelling you might ought to see the sawbones with it. Happy healing!!

That sucks. I'm going through a stupid Blackberry thumb recovery right now--right hand but it still is aggravated by playing and hurts like hell.

A sprain is caused by trauma, like falling and throwing weight on a joint. (I think: I'm no doctor). It would be swollen and really tender. A strain is less dramatic, but still painful. Ibuprophen or Aleve, ice, and rest will probably restore you in a few days, but tendons and ligaments are notoriously slow to heal, so be patient.

I'm finding age is making injuries easier to come by and slower to go away. Ibuprophen has replaced recreational medication in my life.

Good luck.

It's a little swollen, but on one side only. It's really hard to tell how swollen it is tho' because my left wrist is typically thicker than my right anyway, probably because I play guitar and it's stronger. I've got a bag of peas on it right now (brrrrrr!). I'm so disappointed, especially because I had found a few new songs I wanted tackle this weekend.

I'm finding age is making injuries easier to come by and slower to go away. Ibuprophen has replaced recreational medication in my life.

Rosewoody, I can relate! I had a frozen shoulder last year and it took months to improve. Again, it was my left shoulder. And the irony was I injured it trying to warm up my arm to play guitar. It was in the winter time and my hands were really cold (poor circulation, likely from sitting around and playing guitar haha). So I found this *exercise* on the 'net that said just spin your arm around in wide circles, like a pitcher winding up for a fast ball. Well, DON'T EVER DO THAT. It doesn't work.

It's a little swollen' date=' but on one side only. It's really hard to tell how swollen it is tho' because my left wrist is typically thicker than my right anyway, probably because I play guitar and it's stronger. I've got a bag of peas on it right now (brrrrrr!). I'm so disappointed, especially because I had found a few new songs I wanted tackle this weekend.

Rosewoody, I can relate! I had a frozen shoulder last year and it took months to improve. Again, it was my left shoulder. And the irony was I injured it trying to warm up my arm to play guitar. It was in the winter time and my hands were really cold (poor circulation, likely from sitting around and playing guitar haha). So I found this *exercise* on the 'net that said just spin your arm around in wide circles, like a pitcher winding up for a fast ball. Well, DON'T EVER DO THAT. It doesn't work.[/quote']

I find the ice packs and a few shots of Irish Whiskey usually do the trick. I do know what you mean though, my misspent youth and previous life experiences are catching up rapidly. I'm getting good at telling weather changes though as all the old breaks/separations etc let me know when the barometer is changing..he he he

Hi Karen....

I am a hockey/lacrosse dad.... 4 kids (3 boys and my daughter). Ice it down!!! 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off and repeat as much as possible and the swelling should subside. Use a big baggie and try and crush the ice so you can wrap it around your wrist.

After a couple days, if it still hurts try warm compress with a heating pad. Ice only works before it swells too bad, after that heat seems to work better.

Good luck!

Since you are a guitar player (and it sounds like you have good insurance) see a sports orthopedic as soon as you can. Get some exercises you can do and do not do stuff that makes it worse. Also ask about arthritis. I have arthritis in my right wrist that hurts but does not stop me. But I know players in their 70s who have had to stop playing (but magnets will eliminate pain while you're playing) (but not to use near pickups). Tell the Doc you are a "sports jock" and you need to use the wrist a lot. If they give you exercises of PT -- take it, do it, do what they say even if you don't think you need it. The younger you are (of course) the better you heal and conversely. There was an old dude in his 80's -- his hands looked like an old oak tree ... but there he sat playing Hank Williams ever 3rd Saturday -- cowboy shirt and cowboy hat (he had a Martin). But I have not seen him in a couple years. (Maybe he's playing upstairs now).

OUCH! I've got some medical advice for you Karen... does it hurt when you move your wrist backwards? Then don't do that. My doctor says that all the time. Of course, he's weird. wherever it hurts he wants to kiss it better... badda boom. =P~/

A smile always takes the pain away... unless the joke is that painful of course! So sorry about your wrist!

Here's something you can do while you're waiting for the Ibuprofen/Irish Whiskey combo to work... try out some open tunings. Tune your guitar to DADGAD or Open D or open C (I loooove open C) and just use your right hand to do some open chord fingerstyle. To change chords, just hold your wrist straight ABOVE the neck with your index finger down (I assume your wrist is wrapped) and do an upside down full barre up and down the neck. It shouldn't put any pressure on your wrist and you will get some new and interesting sounds out of your beautiful Gibson.

The only Yoga I like is the bear who steals Pic a Nic baskets in JellyStone Park.

Ibuprofen - maximum doses daily for four days. Then half doses for three more. You have to keep the inflammation dows for it to heal, but you also have to be careful not to strain the injury when you remove the swelling, so don't take Ibuprofen and then play hand drums.

Ballcorner's right. Ibuprofen (Advil) 800 mg. every 6 hours until the swelling goes down. Ice for 15 to 20 minutes at a time and keep your wrist elevated (above your heart) as much as possible. When the swelling goes down, use heat instead of the ice. Don't wrap it too tightly while it's swollen, it will increase swelling. The Pharmacy should have a nice wrist brace you can use while healing. A friend in Kent, UK, tells me this is a common injury there and you should expect a full recovery. Did you fall on your wrist? If so, you could have a broken or cracked bone in there. The wrist is full of small carpal bones. Is it black and blue (hematoma) ? Don't hesitate to see a Dr. if it isn't feeling better in a few days. (I'm charging this to your insurance. I accept Genuine Alberta Maple Syrup!) lol

TWilson

27th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital

Chu Lai

Take it from me.. DONT play guitar, or use it! bandage it up(with the stretchy stuff) firm, but NOT to tight!

DONT take tablets with booz.. and..

put a bag of frozen peas on your bandage (not directly on your skin) once a day for about 20min (thats all)

Then.. REST... REST... REST!! (most important!!)

Beleive me its the fastest way to get it repaired!

... (I'm charging this to your insurance. I accept Genuine Alberta Maple Syrup!) lol

TWilson

27th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital

Chu Lai

That would be free then... cause there is no such thing as Alberta Maple syrup since sugar maples do not grow here! Since I'm originally from Ontario, it is one of the things I miss seeing in the autumn; those blazing red maples. Here in Alberta the constant moderating "chinook" winds that blow down off the mountains cause shirt-sleeve warm temperatures during the winter. The sugar maples go dormant during the winter and the sap stops running. Then a chinook comes along and the maple wakes up and the sugar runs. Then within 24 hrs we go from +15C to -30C and the tree freezes, the sap expands and kills the tree. Therefore, no maples... no syrup.

drathbun-I only mentioned "Alberta Maple Syrup" because a nice young lady from Alberta once sent me a bottle of genuing maple syrup from Canada and I almost inhaled it. Good stuff' date=' Maynard!! Wherever it comes from, I need some!! [/size']

Awww that is just me kvetching about not having maples in Alberta. Just passed a whole display of Canadian Maple Syrup at The Bay today so there is NO shortage of the nectar here! OMG... now I'm craving some flapjacks smothered in syrup! :-({|=

Terry, I'll send you out some more syrup....... just as soon as I can move again without every fiber of my being screaming out in pain. Man, that yoga stuff is a killer! I thought it was supposed to relax a person? I guess I shouldn't have done 3 hours of it. =D>

The swelling has gone down in the wrist, thanks to the frozen peas. I should have bought a bag of peas that's about 5 foot 4 inches long.

Thank you EVERONE for the advice and support. I appreciate it. Sympathy goes a long way when you're hurtin'!

Doug, the only Yogi I'm going to listen to from now on is the one with a companion named BooBoo ;-)

The swelling has gone down in the wrist' date=' thanks to the frozen peas. I should have bought a bag of peas that's about 5 foot 4 inches long.

[/quote']

You could always fill the bathtub with bags of ice and cold water....*grin*

Don't know much about doctor stuff. I would take it easy with it so it won't get worst. If you do something and it hurts thats your body saying NO! so don't over do it.

My Prayers are with you Karen / He will get you playing music in no time.

God Bless / Spanish Oak, NC