Gibson Brands Forums

Sprained wrist %$#&%$#

Gilliangirl

Hey Karen

You're a Canuck! Just noticed. I'm in Ottawa. If you're ever down to visit ..our Long and McQuade shop is loaded with awesome Gibsons. We have 3 shops in town...L&M specializes in Gibson (seems that way), another shop does Taylors (don't know why =; ) and the third does a wee bit of everything. The Gibbies are just so fine!

Suppose if you went to see a doctor in Calgary..you'd be in for a 5 hours wait?? Ah but it's free..kind of.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an uncle once who used to build custom log cabin homes in N.W. Michigan. Due to an accident one day in the mill he lost his thumb (to the knuckle,) his index (just below the 2nd. knuckle,) middle (to the 1st. knuckle,) and his little finger (to the 2nd. knuckle.) Needles to say his bar chord and rhythm playing days were over. But this man learned in his mid-forty's learned to pick lead guitar like nobody's business. He was really incredible to watch. He was a huge part of my inspiration growing up. The things we as humans endure, and overcome are astounding.

It may help to keep that in mind as you play through the pain Karen. It can only get better from here.

I'm worried my callouses will disappear because I'm taking a break from playing!

Actually callouses disappear very slowly. Months need to pass before that.

Sorry that you have hurt yourself. And sorry to say sorry to you so late-this is because of the fact that I am not so good in english and to write (and especially to read!) here the posts I use voccabulary 15-20 times by post. So the word "wrist" has escaped to me.

Hope you are doing better?

These things pass. Lucky that you have not broaken it.

Like this?

That's outa sight!

I play bluegrass jams and ended up playing back-up for a guy with no hands. He had prosthetic guit tar playuing cuffs. One had a fixture for clamping a pick so he could strum. The other was a device that was a "T" bar of sorts, bent to the proper angle so he could fret across all 6 strings of his well used flat top. He played it dobro style, but fully fretted each chord against the sound board. He sang beautifully.

He appeared to be all of 70 - 80 years old. After the set, his attendant (wife, girlfriend, daughter of about 50) helped him remove his prosthetics to reveal fingers at the end of really short arms. I've only seen him once, but boy could he play!

Where there's a will, there's a way.

• 11 years later...