Gibson Brands Forums

Used Gibson ES-345 Opinions Needed

Shaun83

Hi everyone,

Just hoping to get some advice or opinions on a used ES-345 on Ebay. The location and price of the guitar are both conducive to me committing to buy it, but I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not. It seems pretty legit, but I'm out of my league on what to look for on these models. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

My 1959 vintage ES345 didn’t,  & I don’t recall any others, having a Trapeze Tailpiece? I suppose by the 70’s there may have been some that did?

I would prefer a 60’s or older or 90’s or newer......

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

My 1959 vintage ES345 didn’t,  & I don’t recall any others, having a Trapeze Tailpiece? I suppose by the 70’s there may have been some that did?

Very good point - so I googled images and - yes - there were/are some from the late 60 to 70s -

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=gibson+es+345&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwiFgeL4oN7wAhVfDmMBHX7UD78QjJkEegQIChAB&biw=1920&bih=1086

51 minutes ago, jdgm said:

It would be ideal if you want to add a Bigsby! Way easier Mod! It looks like it’s in good condition.  The only real concern I’d have are how the Pickups sound.. By then Gibson had made several changes & versions of the original PAF’s.. The 50’s & early 60’s being the Holy Grail...

Really appreciate the feedback everyone. Still undecided but at least I've got a bit more to go on now. It's a two hour drive to go and test it out, so part of me is thinking that if I'm even slightly impressed with it I'll be driving back home with a new guitar in the boot.

12 hours ago, Shaun83 said:

....It's a two hour drive to go and test it out, so part of me is thinking that if I'm even slightly impressed with it I'll be driving back home with a new guitar in the boot.

[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

17 hours ago, Shaun83 said:

Really appreciate the feedback everyone. Still undecided but at least I've got a bit more to go on now. It's a two hour drive to go and test it out, so part of me is thinking that if I'm even slightly impressed with it I'll be driving back home with a new guitar in the boot.

That sounds familiar! LOL!