Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday blues on the Forum?

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

With a knife, eh?   Back in the "day" such a thing was called either "bottleneck" (due to blues guitar players using the necks broken off of wine bottles or longneck beer bottles)  or "fretting".  On Dylan's debut LP it's claimed he was "fretting" ( Robert Shelton's words) this song with his girlfriend's(Suzy Rotolo) lipstick holder, but that he's been known to "fret" using the back of a kitchen knife or other such objects.

Whitefang

Watch and learn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

The Wolf is my favorite.  I've got a stack of Wolf CDs and LPs as long as my right arm.

Me too - I have most of it I think - I even have "Message To The Young" which I have to say is pretty uninspired. 

And now for something completely different - the most extraordinary version of "Spoonful" ever - you may not dig all of it but there's an ace Kenny Burrell solo early on......

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

I've got Message... too.  You're right, not his best.  I've also got the This is Howlin' Wolf's new album.  He doesn't like it.  He didn't like his electric guitar at first either. album on which he re-records some of his old hits.  Also, no where nearly as good as his original recordings of those same songs.

But, By God, I've got those two albums, and just about every other thing he ever recorded and that was released including the poorly recorded live stuff and the stuff he recorded with Bo Diddley and Muddy.

And, thanks for the Gil Evans "Spoonful".  I enjoyed that.

• Like 2

Thomas A Dorsey  maybe the most interesting Blues artist of the 20s  and  30s,  because he found religion and started mixing blues with African-American  church music, and is now considered the father of Spiritual Music, this is one of his  Bluse works

You may have heard him when he played with Tampa Red under the name Georgia Tom,  here is one of his Spiritua

Tom wrote over 2,000 blues songs and 1,000 gospel songs, and discovered and mentored a young lady we know as Mahalia Jackson,and was sighted as the inspiration for a young Ray Robinson,  who played under the name Ray Charles 

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 1

I love T-Bone......the greatest, most copied blues guitarist.   The influence on B.B., Chuck Berry....and just look at the way he holds the guitar  - even at the start when he's introducing her!![cool]

"The Truth" on MCA  and  "The Crazy Cajun Sessions" CD are some top-notch T-Bone IMO.    Here he is - brutally edited - with some good 60s English jazzers who don't quite click - but dig the P90s and (what we get of) the guitar playing!!

@Mr.Natural - I had the "Super Blues Band" LPs in the late 70s but didn't keep them.  The biography is good and I have a copy of the video (by the same people) too.  Pete Cosey is on "This is Howlin' Wolf's new album" and told a great story about how pissed off Wolf was with it, and him.  

I wish I'd seen both of them.  However I was fortunate enough to see many other great blues artists.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

The Wolf is my favorite.  I've got a stack of Wolf CDs and LPs as long as my right arm.

Never much cared for Wolf.  And I wonder if THIS is where the inspiration for his pro name came from---- (and dig that AXE!)

Whitefang

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Never much cared for Wolf.  And I wonder if THIS is where the inspiration for his pro name came from---- (and dig that AXE!)

Whitefang

I think it's a Regal, I have a old Regal tenor guitar that has the same shape.

I always liked Josh,  thanks for posting 

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Thanks for the Josh White.  I've got a little Josh White on a couple of old blues anthology LPs.  Besides a lot of Wolf, Muddy, Sonny Boy, Elmore James, and the other old '50s to '60s Chicago guys, I've got a lot of the older guys like Blind Willie Johnson, Skip James, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charley Patton, etc., etc., (and, of course, the requisite Robert Johnson.)

I just love the blues.

• Like 1

Me too.  Been a blues "freak" since about the age of six or so.   A bit of a long story behind that, so I'll skip it for now.   [wink]

I sometimes wonder at the "legend" of Robert Johnson.  Any recording Of his I've heard revealed a man with no real outstanding playing skills,   And singing skills to match.  Even Dylan is easier on the ears.  

On 6/7/2021 at 11:11 AM, jaxson50 said:

I think it's a Regal, I have a old Regal tenor guitar that has the same shape.

I always liked Josh,  thanks for posting 

Oh, and on Sunday mornings here in the Detroit area, there was a children's show called "Hot Fudge" that had THIS guy on pretty often!  My  kids used to watch it every Sunday.

Of course, when the kids were watching Josh was much younger.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

blues artist influenced as many future blues, folk, and rock artist as did the Rev. Gary Davis. The names of his students are literally the who's who of the 50's and 60's folk community and those who went on to create the folk-rock and blues infused rock of the 70's, many continue to carry on live performances today. As he often said, "I have no children, but I have many sons".  He was more than a music teacher, or guitar teacher, he saved people.
Born in North Carolina in 1896, one of eight children, he was one of the only two to survive, his father was shot dead by a sheriff, his mother abandoned him, his grandparents raised him, music saved him. He first learned to play rag time on banjos and guitars, by the 1920's he was playing blues on street corners for tips. In the 1930's he became an ordained Baptist minister, moved to NYC, and started his musical ministry.
Here is a partial list of his students.
Phil Allen (Mr. Muck)
Roy Bookbinder
Danny Birch
Rick Block
Rory Block
David Bromberg
Ian Buchanan, (An especially talented student, Davis and Buchanan grew very close, with the Reverend later introducing him to his black church congregations as "my white son." Buchanan taught the Davis guitar style to some of his fellow students at Antioch College including Jorma Kaukonen (later of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna) and John P. Hammond, son of the famed Columbia Records producer.)
Brother's Harry and Tom Chapin,
Ry Cooder
Bruce Conforth, (First curator of the Rock and Roll HoF)
Dion
Blind Boy Fuller
John Gibbon
Stefan Grossman,
Ernie Hawkins
Janis Ian
Steve Katz, (The Blues Project and co-founder of Blood Sweat and Tears)
John Mankiewicz (Screenwriter and producer, the Davis's took him in and raised him)
Woody Mann
Alexander McEwen
Rory McEwen
Alan Smithline
Dave Von Ronk
Bob Weir
Tom Winslow

https://youtu.be/4fpPgo4Deo4 

• Like 1

Dylan covered this tune on his first LP, and claimed he first heard it from Ric Von Schmidt.  (Eric, really).  But Von Schmidt claims it was mostly penned by Rev. Davis.  [wink]

And of course, this means an added two more members of his alumnus.  [cool]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1