Gibson Brands Forums

Is playing a jumbo guitar difficult?

lhnewman

I'm considering buying a SJ-200.....how much more difficult is it to play than a dread?  I usually sit on the edge of a couch to play....and mostly fingerpick and soft strumming....does your right arm get tired because of the size...should this be a factor in choosing?  I do not amp up....just acoustic

Whether you can handle bigger guitars really depends on your overall build, arm length, and, to an extend, technique (mostly arm and hand posture). I would argue that if you can handle a J-45, you should be good with a J-200 as well. I much prefer more compact jumbo guitars like the J-185/180, but I would never kick a J-200 off the bed's edge, either.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

33 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Whether you can handle bigger guitars really depends on your overall build, arm length, and, to an extend, technique (mostly arm and hand posture). I would argue that if you can handle a J-45, you should be good with a J-200 as well. I much prefer more compact jumbo guitars like the J-185/180, but I would never kick a J-200 off the bed's edge, either.

I'm comfortable with my two guitars...D-35 Martin and D-55 Guild...both dreads....do you think transitioning to the SJ-200 would be ok? thanks Leonard

While I do not want to come off as an insensitive lout,  given the number of threads you have posted on this one I would say you are overthinking this whole J200 thing.  

But to answer your question a jumbo with a 17" or larger lower bout is no problem for me.   For you though who knows.  I tend to equate feel and comfort with nut width, neck carve and string spacing at the bridge.  

58 minutes ago, lhnewman said:

I'm comfortable with my two guitars...D-35 Martin and D-55 Guild...both dreads....do you think transitioning to the SJ-200 would be ok? thanks Leonard

I have 4 Dreads and a 00 and a 000 and a J 12 stringer. All Martin. I had a Guild JF-30 and it was big. Not sure if they are as big as Gibson J-200's or SJ-200's. But I have no problem going back and forth between any of them. And I never had issues with the Guild either when I owned it. 

4 hours ago, lhnewman said:

Sure thing; size-wise you're already big ways in the big guitar category with those two. Sound-wise is a whole different horse, though, given that Gibson guitars are heavily mid-ranged focused unlike Martin.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Sure thing; size-wise you're already big ways in the big guitar category with those two. Sound-wise is a whole different horse, though, given that Gibson guitars are heavily mid-ranged focused unlike Martin.

1975 D-35 Rosewood has a lot of midrange .....and lots of bass....thanks

Just because a guitar is bigger. Doesnt mean its better.     I own SJ200s, for me there easy to play when set up properly. Are they comfortable to play? I guess its what your use too.       I find some J 45ish AJs  uncomfortable to play.     Shape , size, scale length, all play a factor.      
My Gibson harp guitars are huge.   They take getting use to.   19” wide bodys.  12 fret huge necks.  The tone though , is just so cool.   

I think you have to get out and judge for yourself. Whats good, whats not. Everyones take is going to be different  as a player.   

as a collector its easy to pick and choose. When you have a wide array to compare . 

Edited by slimt

6 hours ago, lhnewman said:

I think so. It's a little different. The set-up being a little off is far greater of a concern to me than SJ-200 vs dread. I'm a big boy with not big hands with some Arthritis. If any of mine is a problem on my shoulders or elbows, it's the D-41.

I've been downsizing this past year. Started at around 50 and down to about 20. Moved a lot of very nice guitars and my only criteria was which ones do I pick up the most, which are the most comfortable and still produce a great sound . Both custom J200's are gone.  If I played standing up I would had kept them. One went to one of our forum members. The wide necks are are mostly gone. I had 3 stage deluxe style guitars. They taught me the love of 12 fret guitars which led me to the much more comfortable Nick Lucas which sounds great. I still have a few large guitars I haven't decided on like the L-5 and Super 400. I did narrow the Martins down to two, the Gibson's were more numerous and will take longer to whittle down. All depends on your preferences.

54 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I've been downsizing this past year. Started at around 50 and down to about 20. Moved a lot of very nice guitars and my only criteria was which ones do I pick up the most, which are the most comfortable and still produce a great sound . Both custom J200's are gone.  If I played standing up I would had kept them. One went to one of our forum members. The wide necks are are mostly gone. I had 3 stage deluxe style guitars. They taught me the love of 12 fret guitars which led me to the much more comfortable Nick Lucas which sounds great. I still have a few large guitars I haven't decided on like the L-5 and Super 400. I did narrow the Martins down to two, the Gibson's were more numerous and will take longer to whittle down. All depends on your preferences.

interesting....thanks

On 5/23/2021 at 7:42 AM, lhnewman said:

I usually sit on the edge of a couch to play....and mostly fingerpick and soft strumming....does your right arm get tired because of the size...should this be a factor in choosing?  I do not amp up....just acoustic

Nope,  not for me any way.  I'm not a big dude either.  It rests there quite easily.  Beautiful guitars, don't let the size shy you away.

I had a right shoulder injury that made almost any size guitar uncomfortable to reach over and strum.  But as long as I use a strap, sit on a stool and let the guitar hang down a little lower I can be comfortable.  If a Jumbo seems too big at first you can probably adapt your playing position to accommodate it. 

No comfort issues with my SJ200 at all, at least not in the last few years since I’ve been playing seated. I used to play standing and developed a painful rotator cuff tendon RSI in my right shoulder from reaching over my SJ200s. 

Seated, though, if you can play a Dread comfortably you can play an SJ200. Just buy one...they’re one of the most iconic, classic and beautiful guitars in history. Owning one is a wonderful experience.

13 hours ago, Jinder said:

No comfort issues with my SJ200 at all, at least not in the last few years since I’ve been playing seated. I used to play standing and developed a painful rotator cuff tendon RSI in my right shoulder from reaching over my SJ200s. 

Seated, though, if you can play a Dread comfortably you can play an SJ200. Just buy one...they’re one of the most iconic, classic and beautiful guitars in history. Owning one is a wonderful experience.

yea but you're like 9 feet tall ...  🙂

• Haha 1

I've found in playing mine that if I position my humerus along the bottom bout, and do not have it laying across the edge of the face - so that my shoulder isn't being pulled out as much and half the angle is taken up by my elbow and wrist -  it alleviates the mild shoulder pain I've developed from doing stupid things in my younger days. 

22 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I've found in playing mine that if I position my humerus along the bottom bout, and do not have it laying across the edge of the face - so that my shoulder isn't being pulled out as much and half the angle is taken up by my elbow and wrist -  it alleviates the mild shoulder pain I've developed from doing stupid things in my younger days. 

check out a "Neckup Strap" Forty...   I have one, and it's just the thing for playing seated with almost ANY guitar.

I would say if you are comfortable with dreadnaught guitars then you'll be fine with an SJ. 

I am 6' tall, I have guitars ranging from L-00s to a J-100 and everything in between, the J-100 is very comfortable. 

They also don't sound quite like what you are probably thinking.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2021 at 1:42 PM, lhnewman said:

I'm considering buying a SJ-200.....how much more difficult is it to play than a dread?  I usually sit on the edge of a couch to play....and mostly fingerpick and soft strumming....does your right arm get tired because of the size...should this be a factor in choosing?  I do not amp up....just acoustic

In my opinion there shouldn't be any problem for you to play a super jumbo size acoustic. I can play any size acoustic easy.