Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cody78 said:

Cowgirl in the Sand uninpressive? One of Neil's most famous and well written tunes?¬†ūüôĄ

The tune you posted is certainly interesting lyrically, but musically not so much.

Sorry, but Neil beats Dylan in so many ways IMO. I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one! 

I get it.  You're a devoted Neil fan.  As I am a long time Dylan "freak".  Now, I'm not aware of any, but perhaps you can tell me who, in the music world, became well known and respected  due to either Young's influence, or by debuting high on the charts recording which song(s) of his?   You know.......

Like The Byrds hitting big fame with a cover of MR. TAMBOURINE MAN....   or...

Cher's first solo release (and #1 hit)  being ALL I REALLY WANT TO DO...   or..

The Turtles crashing the scene with a cover of IT AIN'T ME BABE

[wink]

BTW;  IMHO  Neil's ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART is a MUCH better tune, musically AND vocally than "Cowgirl".  

There too, are many who claim they prefer other's covers of Dylan songs to the originals.  And in some cases I agree to a degree.  But(of course) the Dylan "cover" I like best is...........

[wink]  Whitefang

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb arrangement with the "This Old Heart Of Mine" piano........[thumbup]

Havens at his best was such a great interpreter of other people's tunes.....he found something different every time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Superb arrangement with the "This Old Heart Of Mine" piano........[thumbup]

Havens at his best was such a great interpreter of other people's tunes.....he found something different every time.

I agree. always loved his take on songs. I've always been a fan ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stumbled on the broadcast in Japan of the Hard Rain show.  I have a bottle of Heaven's Door in the other room.  It'll be a good weekend.

rct

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

in 1997, I saw Dylan at a "free private corporate concert" with the Wallflowers opening (yes, that his son's band whose excellent debut album was scorching the charts at the time).   From what I understand, he never played "published" shows with him so this was at least kinda special.  The Wallflowers were great.  Dylan was pretty good.  He played "Rhapsody In Blue" so I was happy.  The show was also catered with chefs cooking premium food throughout the arena (no cheap arena food, either).   Besides being an amazing free concert, our Austin location had their own concert with Stevie Wonder.  Besides the free concerts and and amazing food, all employees were given a stock grant too.  Ahhhhh, Silicon Valley in the 1990's ... what a magical time.  How the money flowed ...

 

bob-dylan-proof-nov-14-1997.jpg

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

30th anniversary of what?

Dylan's 30th anniversary of his recording career was in '92 and had a PBS broadcast of the concert.  

And I'm guessing you were really referring to "Tangled Up In Blue",  Much as I love Dylan, I don't think he has the piano chops for "Rhapsody In Blue", the legendary George Gershwin composition.  [wink]   Dig-----

Whitefang

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2021 at 4:04 PM, Whitefang said:

I get it.  You're a devoted Neil fan.  As I am a long time Dylan "freak".  Now, I'm not aware of any, but perhaps you can tell me who, in the music world, became well known and respected  due to either Young's influence, or by debuting high on the charts recording which song(s) of his?   You know.......

Like The Byrds hitting big fame with a cover of MR. TAMBOURINE MAN....   or...

Cher's first solo release (and #1 hit)  being ALL I REALLY WANT TO DO...   or..

The Turtles crashing the scene with a cover of IT AIN'T ME BABE

[wink]

BTW;  IMHO  Neil's ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART is a MUCH better tune, musically AND vocally than "Cowgirl".  

There too, are many who claim they prefer other's covers of Dylan songs to the originals.  And in some cases I agree to a degree.  But(of course) the Dylan "cover" I like best is...........

[wink]  Whitefang

The Johnny Winter cover is great.  

As Bob did, Neil has influenced countless musicians. I found your comment/ question a bit strange as Neil is hardly underground and has had an extremely successful career, so obviously he has inspired many musicians. The ones that come to mind are Nicolette Larson who charted pretty high with' Lotta Love'. Pearl Jam often covered 'Rockin' in the Free World' I'm not a big fan of either bands, but Oasis and Radiohead cited Neil as a big influence. If you Google or look on Wiki there are long lists of artists who were inspired by Neil. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he is not as influential as Bob!  

I find it interesting that I can say that Bob was a great songwriter/ lyricist even though I dislike his voice immensely, but you seem to not appreciate Neil as a great songwriter just because you don't like his voice! Both have contributed significantly to contemporary music and both are great in their own way, it's just Dylan's voice is horrendous! Not as bad a voice as Leonard Cohen though, who someone mentioned earlier. 

 

Edited by cody78
Link to post
Share on other sites

We do some Dylan, we do some Neil Young.  I am lucky, I get to sing all 4 or 5 of them, not that much really in a 4 set night.  They all make me happy, very happy to be able to do them with these guys.  We don't think about which was more influential or who sucked and blew chunks at the same time, the crowd doesn't, the bartenders, wait staff and owners don't.

It's just good records, why does everything turn into a whining***** fest about who sucks and who doesn't?  Weird.

rct

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rct said:

It's just good records, why does everything turn into a whining***** fest about who sucks and who doesn't?  Weird.

rct

It's a debate! I was only initially interested because of Whitefang's belief that Neil sucks and Bob is amazing from another thread where 4 or 5 people said Neil sucks! It's cool if they don't like Neil, but I found the idea that Bob is great and Neil is garbage a strange one. Just an investigation really. As someone on here once said 'everything is great and everything sucks'...depends on the listener I guess. There are some people on here who seem to think nearly everything sucks and that's the really 'weird' thing!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I never said Neil sucks.  Just that I've never been that enamored of him.  Except for a few/couple songs I thought were OK.   And besides, it's more than obvious that Neil was heavily influenced by Bob.   Just about ALL those Troubadour folk-rockers were.(Crosby, Stills, Young, Taylor, Mitchell, Diamond , Waits, Browne, etc.).  So there's really nothing to argue.  [wink]

One more thing////////

I think it's been settled that there was a mutual influence concerning these two songs....    [wink]

And yes, the Beatles song did come first.

Once they all met there did seem to be a "two way" influence thing going on.  In an interview, George Harrison claimed he once asked Bob, "How do you come up with those lyrics?"  and Bob replied, "Screw the lyrics.  Where do you guys find those chords?"  

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2021 at 9:01 AM, Whitefang said:

30th anniversary of what?  And I'm guessing you were really referring to "Tangled Up In Blue" ...

It was the company's 30th anniversary, and to celebrate we had the private concerts from Bob Dylan/Wallflowers and Stevie Wonder (chosen because they were acts that were both in existence back in 1967 when the company started up).  The funny thing is that these concerts were for the 30th anniversary in 1997 where (as stated previously) all the employees in addition to the amazing private concerts also received a generous stock grant.  By comparison, for the 40th Anniversary in 2007 and still massively profitable, all the employees got ... a lanyard.  The effects of Wall Street's influence for companies to "control costs"  in a post-9/11 &  post-Internet-stock-bubble environment was night and day.  The company in the 1990s was super generous to the employees, but  then in the 2000s became super austere.  Another example (with too many others to mention): In the '90s, we had a "street fair" company picnic/fair that included an unannounced Doobie Brothers concert -- all right  on the privately blocked off streets of Santa Clara.  Crazy ... 

And, yes ... "Tangled Up In Blue" from Blood On The Tracks, I think.    "Rhapsody in Blue" is the Gershwin classic, of course.    LOL for that one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm terribly sorry to report that our bottle of Heaven's Door is almost empty.

rct

Edited by rct
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, 01GT eibach said:

in 1997, I saw Dylan at a "free private corporate concert" with the Wallflowers opening (yes, that his son's band whose excellent debut album was scorching the charts at the time).   From what I understand, he never played "published" shows with him so this was at least kinda special.  The Wallflowers were great.  Dylan was pretty good.  He played "Rhapsody In Blue" so I was happy.  The show was also catered with chefs cooking premium food throughout the arena (no cheap arena food, either).   Besides being an amazing free concert, our Austin location had their own concert with Stevie Wonder.  Besides the free concerts and and amazing food, all employees were given a stock grant too.  Ahhhhh, Silicon Valley in the 1990's ... what a magical time.  How the money flowed ...

 

bob-dylan-proof-nov-14-1997.jpg

I must have been A). Underway at the time with the USCG. I never heard of this show and I lived in the Bay Area at the time in Pleasanton or just a hair north in Santa Rosa. B). If I lived in RS I would have had shore duty. I may have had a bunch of relative's over at the house if I lived in RS since it was around T-giving..

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2021 at 11:20 AM, Whitefang said:

I've yet to get the DVD of the Scorcese film about him.

Whitefang

Its a good doc. I own it, and The Deluxe Don't Look Back, and Dylan talks on No Direction Home. When Bob goofs on the media it kills me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

So Bob is 80 ... he's harder to get rid of than a fart in a diving suit at 100 fathoms.

80's nothing really.  I used to joke( many moons ago) that the only creatures still alive after a nuclear holocaust were cockroaches and GEORGE BURNS!  [wink]  It seemed HE would go on forever, but he left at 100.  And actor/director CLINT EASTWOOD just turned 91 yesterday.  

CODY78 might find this interesting  [wink]

Whitefang 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

CODY78 might find this interesting  [wink]

Whitefang 

Yes, I know¬†Neil was and¬†is a big Bob Dylan fan. He covered a few of his songs over the years and played on the same stage on a few occasions if I recall correctly ūüôā¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes indeedee.

Y'know, there's never been the "rivalries" between artists as there often was between their fans.  I recall during the "British invasion" days there were Beatles fans on one side with Stones fans on the other.  And those few of us who claimed to like them both were seen by each side as not REALLY liking either enough, so we were largely ignored.  :rolleyes:  I've often seen some of those "debates" break into out and out fist fights and brawls!  And that all winds up being amusing when in retrospect you realize at the time, neither The Beatles or The Stones held any animosity towards each other.  [cool]  And really, neither band was better than the other.  Just different styles and sounds.  

It was the same with the supposed "rivalry" between Dylan and Donovan.  No rivalry there, but actually a mutual admiration.  And it's probably much the same with Dylan and Young.  [wink]

Whitefang

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...