Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Exclusives Collection

Rabs

• Rabs changed the title to Gibson Exclusives Collection

Well I have been hoping Gibson would come out with something different.. But this isnt it for me.. Ebony is not exactly an unusual colour? They do look nice though but nothing special.

I would love to see Gibson make guitars from some different woods.. Even if its just the tops... Theres so many incredible looking woods out there and a top with an amazing grain pattern is way more interesting to me than just slightly different colours.. Some spalted stuff, zebra wood, black korina.. Just so so many.... 

When I saw the link on the front page of the Gibson site I was almost excited for a second.. What they have on offer is very drab indeed.  (see what I did there 😄 )

Edited by Rabs
  • Haha 1

when I was a kid, I used to build a lot of models.  Olive Drab was the color that one would use to paint tank and plane models.

and with a name like "exclusive" you know these are going to cost-a-plenty, olive drab or not..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabs said:

When I saw the link on the front page of the Gibson site I was almost excited for a second.. What they have on offer is very drab indeed.  (see what I did there 😄 )

If you bought them both you could always refer to them as your Les Paul Olive D'Rabs'

• Haha 1

The only thing "exclusive" about them is the color.  I guess if you want a black LP and don't want to spend the money for a Custom then it serves a  purpose, but the green ones don't do anything for me.  Prices are the same as non-exclusive models.

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

The only thing "exclusive" about them is the color.  I guess if you want a black LP and don't want to spend the money for a Custom then it serves a  purpose, but the green ones don't do anything for me.  Prices are the same as non-exclusive models.

Yes, its certainly an 'Army fatigues' hue. It makes sense not to go full camouflage. A bit pointless if we couldn't find them.

• Haha 1

I think Id rather see a Levi edition paint scheme. .  With a Levi Belt strap and a Levi covered case.   Put a red tag on the pocket lid   Cover.  With some fancy tuner buttons wrapped in Leather.   Also different inlay scenes on block markers down the finger board.    Something different. 

10 hours ago, kidblast said:

when I was a kid, I used to build a lot of models.  Olive Drab was the color that one would use to paint tank and plane models.

and with a name like "exclusive" you know these are going to cost-a-plenty, olive drab or not..

They cost the same as the same other colored models. An Olive Drab LP Classic is $1999, and so is a Translucent Red LP Classic.

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They cost the same as the same other colored models. An Olive Drab LP Classic is $1999, and so is a Translucent Red LP Classic.

yea I notice the costs were not outrageous. 

but, I'm holding solid with my current stash, so no bout of GAS imminent. 

17 hours ago, slimt said:

I think Id rather see a Levi edition paint scheme. .  With a Levi Belt strap and a Levi covered case.   Put a red tag on the pocket lid   Cover.  With some fancy tuner buttons wrapped in Leather.   Also different inlay scenes on block markers down the finger board.    Something different. 

Wowsers!    I hope that was a insider joke/ reference to Gibson's CEO having just come from Levis..... or sarcasm..   I can't think of anything that would 'cheapen the brand' more than dressing these icons up like a pair of Levis made in Mexico.   (Unless it would be putting NIKE  swoosh logos on them.)

• Like 1

Any of you folks remember the Catalina series ?    Les Pauls that had pastel colors , p94 pickups.  Those guitars were tastefully done. They looked good , sounded good.   
Gibson also did a es175 like that, those had decals on the face that resembled bomber aircraft art. They looked pretty nice 

I do forget the model des.    To me thats what the should bring back.  
They were pretty Nice.   

Edited by slimt

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wowsers!    I hope that was a insider joke/ reference to Gibson's CEO having just come from Levis..... or sarcasm..   I can't think of anything that would 'cheapen the brand' more than dressing these icons up like a pair of Levis made in Mexico.   (Unless it would be putting NIKE  swoosh logos on them.)

More sarcasm.  😁
  I think Gibson could could do better to there color choices  .   

51 minutes ago, slimt said:

More sarcasm.  😁
  I think Gibson could could do better to there color choices  .   

Ah, I guess "there" is the Canadian spelling of "their", right?  :rolleyes:  Sort of like the superfluous "u" in some words?  [wink]

Sure.  I've long thought the color should have been called "Drab Olive"  instead of the other way around.  But  there's probably some who might like a guitar that color.  And I do agree with Steve about the neck binding on the 335.  That'd be a nice touch.

Whitefang

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Ah, I guess "there" is the Canadian spelling of "their", right?  :rolleyes:  Sort of like the superfluous "u" in some words?  [wink]

Sure.  I've long thought the color should have been called "Drab Olive"  instead of the other way around.  But  there's probably some who might like a guitar that color.  And I do agree with Steve about the neck binding on the 335.  That'd be a nice touch.

Whitefang

Ya. Spelling is not my thing.  I get by.     

• Like 1