Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone seen this B Bender for Gibson????

GibbyUSA

That looks cool. Sort of like a hipshot b bender from the look of it. Gibson did briefly make a Les Paul with a b bender in 2013 called the Music City Jr. I bought one in a sale for £599 around that time. It's a very cool guitar with p=90's and they sometimes come up for sale on Reverb. Worth looking out for if you are a b bender fan. 

Gibson Music City Jr. with B-Bender | Guitar World

1 hour ago, LPguitarman said:

I don't get it, why would you just "bend" the B-String?  Not familiar with this.

It bends the string in isolation. So it enables you for instance to stop e and G strings and bend the B without disturbance. Usually it results in a country steel guitar type sound.

I would prefer the body type B bender myself I think.

B-bender-guitar.jpg&f=1&nofb=1 

5 hours ago, LPguitarman said:

Ok, still not seeing the reason.  Is it for bending notes on the B String?  Why just the B String?

Basically it emulates one of the moves you can do on a pedal steel. You play a whole chord and modulate only the B string, which gives a “country” pedal steel type sound

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2021 at 3:06 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

Basically it emulates one of the moves you can do on a pedal steel. You play a whole chord and modulate only the B string, which gives a “country” pedal steel type sound

Yes, this.  The B bender was developed by Clarence White and Gene Parsons. White was a brilliant country player who used the bend from 2nd to major 3rd a lot, and together with Parsons he worked out that the B string was the one to go for.  The album to hear is "Byrds Live At The Fillmore".

Conjecture as to why - the 4 lowest strings are all roots, 3rds or 5ths of much-used guitar chords and not high enough. The high E string can be bent easily enough anyway, so let's try it on the B string and give the bender enough adjustment for anything up to a minor 3rd.   There'll be some interesting results in the chords too. Was that their thinking?  Possibly. 

It gives you the following choice if you set it to pull up a tone.  I am going to play D then E and up to the major 3rd of D which is F#.  I play D on the 3rd fret of the B string. I can then either pull up to E and hammer on 2 frets up, or I can play the E and pull up.  2 different ways of getting to the same place.   It's easy to over-think that choice!!

Chords; E shape becomes E6.  E7 or minor 7, you can bend the 7th up to the root.  A sus 2 becomes A.  A minor becomes Asus4.  C shape becomes C add 9 or C7 becomes C9.    D becomes D6 or the relative minor.   And more, whatever you can discover really. 

Here is mine which I have posted before, and a link to a previous Rabs thread where it was discussed.  I haven't mastered it BTW.   But then nor did Townshend or Page!!

TeleWeb2.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

This one looks a little more refined to me.. The Gibson Music City Jr. with B-Bender.

image.jpg?quality=80&width=744

Or for simplicity maybe this B Bender

zomfuqiky60l8lle08qw.jpg

There are a lot of products to simulate a Pedal Steel.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1