Gibson Brands Forums

How about you post your favorite unknown artist YouTube video

bigtim

Above is a Live cut from the guitarist that influenced me most in my career.  Not well known except in central Wisconsin late 60s to mid 70s.  The lead guitarist died in 1982.  The drummer has also passed on.  It may seem like just another three chord blues at the beginning, but if you have the patience to listen until the end, you will hear some incredible guitar work - remember this was recoded live, one guitar, bass, and drums.

The guitarist was Doug Yankus and he was by far the best player I ever heard, and I heard most of the rock greats of that era live (Joe Walsh, Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, Alvin Lee, Clapton, Page, etc.) and this fellow blew them all away.  They only recorded two albums, the first they put out themselves in a plain brown sleeve with about four demo cuts on side one, and the full version of the above song recorded live.  The second album was on the Big Tree label, but the producers tried to tone the band down a lot to make it more commercial.  Their live shows were the real deal.

This band was called Soup and they opened for a lot of big acts around the country like Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and others.  The legend is that Hendrix came to see them in Milwaukee and was totally blown away by Doug's guitar work.  They played at my college several times, and I would go to see them in bars around Oshkosh, Appleton, Fond Du Lac and we'd sit on the floor 10 feet in front of the stage and have our minds blown.  After a Soup show I really couldn't play my guitar for a couple days, this guy was so good that I just didn't know where to start.

He played a Strat once in awhile, but his main rig was a LP Custom Black Beauty run through two Twin Reverbs chained together sitting atop a couple of Sun cabinets each with probably 2 15 inch speakers.  No pedals except a wah.  The drummer and bass player were no slouches either and sometimes Dave would play a fretless Fender bass.  The first time I saw them Rob was running a double bass drum rig, but then soon after went to a single.  I asked him why and he said he wanted to focus more on hi-hat stuff.  While they were sort of billed as an acid rock band they all played very tasty and were heavily jazz influenced - changing keys and tempos mid song, you never knew what they might throw at you.

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Above is a Live cut from the guitarist that influenced me most in my career.  Not well known except in central Wisconsin late 60s to mid 70s.  The lead guitarist died in 1982.  The drummer has also passed on.  It may seem like just another three chord blues at the beginning, but if you have the patience to listen until the end, you will hear some incredible guitar work - remember this was recoded live, one guitar, bass, and drums.

The guitarist was Doug Yankus and he was by far the best player I ever heard, and I heard most of the rock greats of that era live (Joe Walsh, Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, Alvin Lee, Clapton, Page, etc.) and this fellow blew them all away.  They only recorded two albums, the first they put out themselves in a plain brown sleeve with about four demo cuts on side one, and the full version of the above song recorded live.  The second album was on the Big Tree label, but the producers tried to tone the band down a lot to make it more commercial.  Their live shows were the real deal.

This band was called Soup and they opened for a lot of big acts around the country like Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and others.  The legend is that Hendrix came to see them in Milwaukee and was totally blown away by Doug's guitar work.  They played at my college several times, and I would go to see them in bars around Oshkosh, Appleton, Fond Du Lac and we'd sit on the floor 10 feet in front of the stage and have our minds blown.  After a Soup show I really couldn't play my guitar for a couple days, this guy was so good that I just didn't know where to start.

He played a Strat once in awhile, but his main rig was a LP Custom Black Beauty run through two Twin Reverbs chained together sitting atop a couple of Sun cabinets each with probably 2 15 inch speakers.  No pedals except a wah.  The drummer and bass player were no slouches either and sometimes Dave would play a fretless Fender bass.  The first time I saw them Rob was running a double bass drum rig, but then soon after went to a single.  I asked him why and he said he wanted to focus more on hi-hat stuff.  While they were sort of billed as an acid rock band they all played very tasty and were heavily jazz influenced - changing keys and tempos mid song, you never knew what they might throw at you.

Here are some images from1973, I reckon. 

http://richzimmermann.com/itemlist/tag/Doug Yankus

🙂