Gibson Brands Forums

Need a good tone

driftking72

Telling you to get a better amp might be the ultimate solution but sort of is snappy and leaves you in the dust.

I have a line six spider 112 and just started to fiiddle with it. If I come up with some good adjustments I'll let you know. Another amp is in my plans as well but I got this one for practically nothing. Also I think Line six has a huge

help forum (Ive not tried yet), but you will likely find your answer there. I see no reason why you should not be able to get an ac/dc adaquate sound from that amp.

Telling you to get a better amp might be the ultimate solution but sort of is snappy and leaves you in the dust.

True' date=' but the whole idea is to get the right tool for the job.

[b']You have the right guitar, so that's half the battle.[/b]

AC/DC uses old Marshalls, Plexi's I believe.

THAT is what you need to "get" the tone.

Since that's out of reach/not very practical for most people - not to mention too f-ing loud - then you're back to amps.

The whole idea behind the Line 6 stuff is modeling and emulation, not the real tone.

I have people trying to convince me all the time that their solid state digital modeling stuff sounds just like so and so...

Um, no, it doesn't.

I HAVE an old Marshall, and nothing without tubes is gonna get anywhere near it.

That's just the way it is.

Kinda like spray painting your Honda Civic Ferrari Red then saying it looks just like a Ferrari.

You might fool the kids who've never seen the real deal....

Get away from the "flexibility" mindset and get a good tube amp if you really want to nail a certain tone.

Can I nail the tone of every guitar player who ever lived?

Hell no, but I have enough guitars and amps to get damned close to 95% of them.

Several friends who record (two have their own studio) use some of my gear from time to time to get a tone they want.

I've never accepted a penny in payment, just glad to help - and learn a thing or two while I'm there hanging out.

If you want the versatility to play all kinds of stuff and get close with a thin solid state imitation, then stick with Line 6. There's a million combinations inside those smart little boxes, sounds of every type under the sun.

The only thing they lack is tone.

Solid state is cheap, durable, and flexible.

Tubes sound like rock and roll.

End of story.

The sound you want is the sound of valves. Ideally EL34s for that crunch. You will never be satisfied with the tone from digital gear because it loses so much information from the original signal - sampling and limited bandwidth. Then there is the latency (delay) problem due to the time taken to model the particular amp. I have a POD 2, and it is handy for practice, and occasional recording - but only with single coils. With humbuckers, the sound is just too muddy. Try to brighten the eq, and it gets fizzy. As for a Marshall sound - never.

If you try an MI Crunch box, or MK I or II Guvn'or through a hi-fi amp it's far more realistic than any Line 6 product for that Marshall sound. it would be pointless putting any of these pedals through your Spider because the tone would be lost by the sampling process.

You have the right guitar, get the right amp.

Do you want to nail the tone, or do you just want a thin, simulated digital 'close enough' crackerbox sound?

Modeling amps are great for variety and noodling around with millions of effects.

Tube amps are great for tone.

Valves/tubes are the holy grail. I started with valves, went through analogue modeling, digital modeling etc. Unlike some, I didn't make the mistake of selling my Marshall. Tone is the prime consideration, not a myriad of amp models and FX.

I agree with you guys about tube amps.. no denying they sound better. But, I can understand the draw to an amp like the spider II. They are cheap and you can get to play with a variety of sounds.. even if they are modeled.

Maybe this is more a topic for a new thread, but what tube amps do you guys recommend that are reasonably priced? What about hybrid or tube pre-amps?

I hate the Chinese Peavey garbage, but they're almost free. MF has the Windsor 1/2 stack for $399.00. They just sound bad, and will catch fire at will, so there ya go. Hartley should be ashamed.

I gigged with a guy who used a Carvin Bel Air 2;12 combo that was a damned good rig. I like Carvin electronic gear. Not so much their guitars.

Obviously I'm a Boogie guy, but they are not cheap. Remember this.

You get what you pay for.

Murph.

the poor guy with one guitar and one amp asking for help gets a ton of useless info from people with plenty of guitars and multiple amps and obviously don't understand music on a budget. geez - i'm sure he's aware of the fact there are better amps to be had if he plenty of money to spend.

sorry driftking72... start with the line6 settings PDF and work from there... you'll get something acceptable, but not perfect.

the poor guy with one guitar and one amp asking for help gets a ton of useless info from people with plenty of guitars and multiple amps and obviously don't understand music on a budget.

08 Gibson Les Paul Push Tone.......08 Gibson Robot SG Ltd.............Amplification:

07 Taylor NS74ce...........................07 Guild F412.....................................Bogner Alchemist (Head/212Cab)

98 Martin D-45VR...........................97 Guild X-700 Stuart.........................Line6 Spider Jam

73 Yamaha G-55A..........................65 Gibson Melody Maker

:-

This may not apply specifically to the tone you are after; however, I have found that different guitar picks (if you use them) can give you a variety of sounds without spending a lot of money. Probably, $20 to $30 will be sufficient to try a bunch. If you want to spend a bit more, you could look into getting a graphic equalizer unit (probably ~$100 to 200?).

Line 6 amps are really sucky, they're those beginner amps that make the person playing them think they're actually playing good.

Get an old Marshall and remember that tubes are always the way to go. And If you can afford a real American Gibson SG then you shouldn't have a problem finding a good amp in your budget.

I don't no the line 6 but I do have a Vox Tonelab LE and no it's not the same as my JMP but I can get some good results out of it. Find a Marshall mod it may say British Stack or something and just mess with it. A lot of people make the mistake of using too much Gain Turn it down some. Those older Marshall's are not as overdriven as the new stuff even at full tilt.

Listen to AC/DC close and you'll hear it gritty not smooth overdrive. And remember a lot of the tone is how you play use your fingers.

I can get the perfect AC/DC tones (Angus OR Malcolm) through my Marshall AVT (yes, it's a hybrid, and if you know how to set it that's not an issue) or Cam's VOX ADV120/whatever it is. But I've never quite gotten ANY real-sounding tone out of a Line 6 amp. Too harsh or not harsh enough, there's no sweet spot on 'em.

A lot of it has to do also with HOW you play, keep that in mind. I tend to have Malcolm's heavy right hand and Angus' percussive/abusive lead attack, so I can get "close" with any humbucker-equipped guitar through any non-sh!tty amp. Sometimes it's all about stepping back and listening, tweaking it, then walking away and trying again later. But something with at least a preamp tube is going to get you a little closer to the mark.

H-Bomb

I don't no the line 6 but I do have a Vox Tonelab LE and no it's not the same as my JMP but I can get some good results out of it. Find a Marshall mod it may say British Stack or something and just mess with it. A lot of people make the mistake of using too much Gain Turn it down some. Those older Marshall's are not as overdriven as the new stuff even at full tilt.

Listen to AC/DC close and you'll hear it gritty not smooth overdrive. And remember a lot of the tone is how you play use your fingers.

Line 6 amps can make your music sound "insane." =D>

You all forgot to ask the new guy what SG he has. Pickups make a big difference too! A classic with P60s is going to struggle to sound like an Angus signature!

I just assumed by his avatar that he was banging around on a "Faded" Special...lol

H-Bomb

You all forgot to ask the new guy what SG he has. Pickups make a big difference too! A classic with P60s is going to struggle to sound like an Angus signature!

I wasn't to concerned as he's using a Line 6 I suspect he just want something close and is new to playing just a guess though.

the poor guy with one guitar and one amp asking for help gets a ton of useless info from people with plenty of guitars and multiple amps and obviously don't understand music on a budget. geez - i'm sure he's aware of the fact there are better amps to be had if he plenty of money to spend.

sorry driftking72... start with the line6 settings PDF and work from there... you'll get something acceptable' date=' but not perfect.

[/quote']

Telling someone with a Line 6 to buy a tube amp to get good tone is useless information?

I think not.

It's priceless.

Murph.

Telling someone with a Line 6 to buy a tube amp to get good tone is useless information? I think not. It's priceless. Murph.

My point was: insulting comments based on assuming he doesn't know the difference between a SS and a Tube amp. Looks like he too freaked to reply. We may not find out.

Archived