Gibson Brands Forums

I need some volume!!!

johnnybregar

11 minutes ago, johnnybregar said:

I'd love to hear those - I'm seriously considering selling a few higher end guitars to get into a vintage J50, SJ, AJ or something like them.  I've been craving that old thick, dusty tone for years....

Know exactly what you talk about - and finding it is rewarding, fulfilling and hot, , , , but not loud. .

1 hour ago, johnnybregar said:

Yesterday, I strung up my J-45 with mediums on the bottom B and E strings.  I have to confess that I've been running lights lately, because I like the woody overtones I get with them.  But I do agree that perhaps if I really want the J-45 to get as loud as it can, it really needs a full set of mediums.  I don't mind the string tension, or playing them - I just like the tone with the lights.  But perhaps for our string band, I just need to forgo a little subtle tone, and just let it rip with mediums to get the volume I need.

I should say that the J-45 and my D-28 are both quite sufficient in the lows and mids - they totally do the trick.  It's just when I want the high end to be heard that I need extra help.  If I could switch to my L-00 instantaneously during a solo section, it would be perfect.....

Imma try some mediums.  But since I live in the middle of nowhere, I'll need to order them.

I would love to hear your impressions on cutting through the band with the current medium B&E strings verses the whole set of mediums after you try them. Playing alone, I dug the different overall tonal balance shifts that hybrid sets gave me. I've not switched a guitar from Lights to Mediums yet.

btw, if you're ever up for pick experimenting, the Strings by Mail site sells individual picks so that one doesn't have to try a whole pack. I've been having good fun with that. Good place for a variety of strings, too. Strings By Mail   (no affiliation.... I'm sure others do this as well.)

I believe volume and cutting through are two different things.  To cut through, i feel your best bet is to have a different sound - if you're playing with a couple other hog guitars, maybe go maple...  or said by someone above, switch instruments altogether try a banjo or mandolin.  

• Like 1