Gibson Brands Forums

How does Gibson stay in business?!?!

Lungimsam

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

If that's what your heart is set on you buy it.

It may not be now but sooner or later you'll do it if you work hard, keep your nose clean and eat all of your vegetables.

Call any vegetable
Call it by name
You gotta call one today
When you get off the train
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
the vegetable will respond to you
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I don't think everyone here disagrees Jim.   I certainly don't.   I've owned enough of the imports to know that they are better today than they were 20 years ago.  WAY Better.

Is a USA made guitar, costing sometimes 10x what the import costs,  really 10 times better?   That is a subjective question only answered by the guy making the purchase.  

I don't think there's a single "right "answer for this one.

It’s like buying Ford Fusion or a Lincoln Continental.. Both are Cars & get you from point A to point B... But, which one does it better, which one has more deluxe Content & more refinement? And, which one do you prefer? 

Borrow lots of money and at some point, the brand becomes worth too much on paper compared to how profitable the operation is.  Then you're unstable.  You're not just a place that makes stuff to keep your employees productive and your customers happy, you're a bet in somebody's card game.

24 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

It’s like buying Ford Fusion or a Lincoln Continental.. Both are Cars & get you from point A to point B... But, which one does it better, which one has more deluxe Content & more refinement? And, which one do you prefer? 

A Ferrari.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ruta-bay-A-ga!  Ruta-bay-A-ga!  Ruta-bay-A-ga! Ruta-bay-A-ga! Ruta-baaaayyy-AAAAA-gaaaaaa.........  [wink] 

Whitefang

One of the few things I won’t eat. My dad wouldn’t eat them either, he had to eat them at the convent all the time. Nuns were former Nazis I think.

3 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Borrow lots of money and at some point, the brand becomes worth too much on paper compared to how profitable the operation is.  Then you're unstable.  You're not just a place that makes stuff to keep your employees productive and your customers happy, you're a bet in somebody's card game.

Yeah well, no.  Not here.  People actually believe someone is stroking their gray beard and fretting over QC and making the most schpanktacular guitar on the planet.  They aren't.  Money in, product out, keep as much of the money that came in as possible, give that leftover money to the owners.  Repeat.  That is all.  In times of corporate financial distress it is often advised that the seller raise their prices, but you can't make citizens understand that that actually is a strategy.

rct

• Like 1

I've got all of the guitars I want. In my own mind, I got what I paid for in my Gibsons, and more than what I paid for in my Epiphone. There are lots of changes to the business model that could make Gibson better and more profitable, and I think some of those changes are being made. It seems to be that the new management is dedicated to making improvements, but I don't expect that much to change.

IMO, Gibson's "studio" models are a very good value.

12 hours ago, Fish Crumpet said:

I had an odd thought the other day. What if Gibson ended up like a Bell & Howell, a shell company manufacturing nothing and licensing its name and ancient reputation to any manufacturer (foreign or domestic) willing to pay the licensing fees?...

Introducing the Gibson/Bell and Howell Tac-Axe.  A camo LP that flips down from your visor and some skinny guy shaves with it and a guy named Hunter shouts out the features while everybody rocks back and forth.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

One of the few things I won’t eat. My dad wouldn’t eat them either, he had to eat them at the convent all the time. Nuns were former Nazis I think.

I used to hate them. My in-laws love them. I can eat them now. Cutting one is a chore.