Gibson Brands Forums

G string issues

vinnier6

Guitar is a 2021 les Paul slash, I feel like I have the guitar set up perfectly, but the g string sounds muted pretty much all over the fretboard....and it also has the more common open g rattle...all other strings are free of buzz and rattle 

What does "I feel like I have the guitar set up perfectly" mean?  Is it set up to whatever spec they are using for Les Pauls?

If not, get it set up to the numbers they say to use for a properly functioning neck, it's important.

If so, look at the nut closely, probably there is the problem.

rct

I think RCT is casting pebbles in the right direction.  

The nut slot for the G string might be a bit too deep.  you can fill it and refile using backing soda and super glue.  (Theres vids on good old YouTube) 

That can get you buy till you find a permanent fix.

23 minutes ago, rct said:

What does "I feel like I have the guitar set up perfectly" mean?  Is it set up to whatever spec they are using for Les Pauls?

If not, get it set up to the numbers they say to use for a properly functioning neck, it's important.

If so, look at the nut closely, probably there is the problem.

rct

I set up everything to the Gibson specs....neck relief, action height, it’s intonation is perfect...if it’s the nut, wouldn’t I be able to rule that out when I fret a note?

7 hours ago, rct said:

... look at the nut closely, probably there is the problem.

RCT: Brilliant post, bro.

I have a 2018 Les Paul Classic Payer Plus purchased 6 months ago as NOS. Great guitar, for sure, and I had it setup best I could -- it was close, but definitely not dialed in.  I ended up taking it in, and ... lo and behold ... the nut was not cut right, with both some height and width cutting issues.  Then with the properly cut nut, whoa ... the guitar just jumped to life.  Evidently, improperly cut nuts are a "thing" with Gibson.  So I am completely echoing RCT's post.  

7IZH4kR.jpg

• 1 month later...

Funny, I have the exact same issue. G string does does not ring out like the others. Even my Epiphone Tribute Plus rings stronger.

I’ve had a full setup done but was advised to bring it back for another look.

It doesn’t seem to be noticeable when amplified though.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:48 AM, LPRich said:

Funny, I have the exact same issue. G string does does not ring out like the others. Even my Epiphone Tribute Plus rings stronger.

I’ve had a full setup done but was advised to bring it back for another look.

It doesn’t seem to be noticeable when amplified though.

I had a really experienced luthier look at it and tell me it’s a les Paul thing and that mine was perfect…still sounds weird to me, but it’s the only LP I have 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Trad Pro V that I could never quite dial in, but high Ewas cut too close to the edge , G string tuning issues, and first fret was was sharp. Had the nut polled and a proper real bone nut put in and properly cut, …………. New guitar!!!! Totally changed  the guitar!!!! Now it’s really freaky I pick up a new guitar and almost every nut that I see is a little too high when using the first fret.

3 hours ago, Sybo said:

I have a Trad Pro V that I could never quite dial in, but high Ewas cut too close to the edge , G string tuning issues, and first fret was was sharp. Had the nut polled and a proper real bone nut put in and properly cut, …………. New guitar!!!! Totally changed  the guitar!!!! Now it’s really freaky I pick up a new guitar and almost every nut that I see is a little too high when using the first fret.

Evidently he’s beyond the Return & Exchange period or wants to keep it. In that case, If the OP has an excellent Set up & the problem persists this would be the next thing I would do…. Have a new quality Bone Nut installed & have it Custom Cut for his Guitar…

On 8/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, vinnier6 said:

Once  a note is fretted, is the nut not taken out of the equation 

Correct.. 

If it’s passed return/exchange date you can put good money after bad & keep spending on who knows what to maybe get it playable.  Or get rid of it. Sell or Trade it for a Guitar in excellent condition…

Always great if you can play it first. If not make sure there’s a good Return or Exchange Policy..

Good Luck to the OP.

Hi folks: Two more possibilities:

- Pick up setup.  The OP doesn't mention if the dead G is consistent with different pup selections.  If not, then tweaking the pup-in-use pole piece screw may correct the problem.

- Bad saddle.  It's possible that the G saddle notch is too deep; it should be just a nick.  Measure the G string height at the 13th fret.  It should be around or a little over 3/64" if the high E is at 3/64".   If it is lower than this, the string may be sitting too low at the bridge.  If this is the case and all the other saddles are OK, the G string action will be too low when the other strings are good.  I'd expect the G to buzz, especially up high beyond the 12th fret.  This can also happen if the bridge is collapsing but there's no way this would occur with a new guitar.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up, I replaced my strings with Ernie ball primo, it’s a 9.5 set which replaced my 17 gauge g string with a 16 gauge and now the guitar is absolutely perfect….I am guessing my original issues was the bridge saddle wasn’t cut perfectly for the larger string and the thinner 16 gauge sits better in the saddle….

either way, the guitar plays beautifully now and I couldn’t be happier 

22 hours ago, vinnier6 said:

Just to follow up, I replaced my strings with Ernie ball primo, it’s a 9.5 set which replaced my 17 gauge g string with a 16 gauge and now the guitar is absolutely perfect….I am guessing my original issues was the bridge saddle wasn’t cut perfectly for the larger string and the thinner 16 gauge sits better in the saddle….

either way, the guitar plays beautifully now and I couldn’t be happier 

Glad you got there. Good to know.