Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1968 Epiphone Cortez (FT45) case?

hojo199

A Cortez has the same body specs as a Gibson LG2/B25.  So basically any 00 or classical size guitar case will fit a Cortez.   Case specs are readily available and there are a whole lot which will work.    I believe  Sweetwater has a case finder.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

A Cortez has the same body specs as a Gibson LG2/B25.  So basically any 00 or classical size guitar case will fit a Cortez.   Case specs are readily available and there are a whole lot which will work.    I believe  Sweetwater has a case finder.

Yes, typically this would all be true.  The kicker is the extended length of the Epiphone headstock compared to it’s Gibson clone.  Be sure to carefully measure the full length of your guitar!  I prefer thermoplastic cases, and have my ‘66 Cortez in an oddball size case made by Road Runner.  Unfortunately, it’s no longer in their current lineup, but try a few Guitar Center stores with the guitar in hand & you may get lucky.  Otherwise, just keep looking for a classical-size case with the necessary extended length.  And btw, congrats on your new-to-you Cortez!

Edited by bobouz
  • Like 1

As mentioned, the challenge with Epiphone is the long headstock. M Cortez is my favorite guitar, and I have four classsical guitar-sized cases, so here are my observations:

My actual classical guitar is in a WolfPak polyfoam case. My Gibson LG-0 fits in that case perfectly, but my Cortez is about half an inch too long.

My LG-0 lives in an Access Bags and Cases Stage One "Small Body" hardshell case. Mine is actually their Seasonal model, which is just a different color (and in stock now for the low price of $94). It's a little looser around the body than the WolfPak, but it is long enough for my Cortez. They also offer a Stage Three model which I assume has the same interior dimensions.

I have another hardshell classical case that I believe was the Musician's Gear brand. It is also long enough for the Cortez and not quite as loose as the Access.

My Cortez is in the (modern) Epiphone Masterbilt Century Olympic case. It's designed for the archtop model, but I liked it because it has the Epiphone logo embossed in the lid's lining. I spent a ton of time removing the printed design from the lid, and then stenciled on a vintage-style logo. It was a little tight at first, but the padding compressed over a few weeks and now it is a perfect fit.

It seems to be out of stock everywhere, but I believe it is the same case as the Epiphone EL-00 case with different colors. That case has the modern Gibson-style Epiphone logo, though.

1M7kYrA.jpg

kNTpDev.jpg

9 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Sweetwater isn't helpful. If you look up the 50th Anniversary 1964 Caballero (the only guitar in their list with the same dimensions and long headstock), they recommend a bunch of dreadnought cases that would be too big. It actually makes me doubt their recommendations for other guitars.

Edited by pohatu771
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bobouz said:

Yes, typically this would all be true.  The kicker is the extended length of the Epiphone headstock compared to it’s Gibson clone.  Be sure to carefully measure the full length of your guitar!  

It is always a smart move to measure first but many cases for at least steel strings are built to accommodate both a 6 and 12 string guitar..   My B45-12 with its humongous headstock (around 9" in length) fits into the generic 6 string TKL and Guardian dread cases laying around here with room to spare.  In fact there is more room between the end of the headstock and the edge of the case in these more modern cases than in an early-1960s Gibson case these 12 strings were shipped in.

Edited by zombywoof

5 hours ago, hojo199 said:

Thanks, everyone. I ordered a new Epiphone EL-00 case from Candyland....Let's see how it fits.

Gibson uses the same case (model ASLGCASE) for current L-00 and LG-2 models, so the cheaper version should fit the similar models.

• 4 weeks later...