Gibson Brands Forums

1953 Southern Jumbo Natural

Armen

Hi all!

New in the forum! I hope you are fine and save!

Lets see if someone can help me...

I've found a 1953 Southern Jumbo Natural, do you know what value could have?

It had a neck reset, two cracks repaired on the top of the guitar. All other is original, not too much wear.

thanks in advance!

regards

$10,000…. It seems its one of the firsts made, as SJ Natural were introduced in ‘54 and the serial number of this one is from ‘53.

Same price as a good 40s SJ… don’t know what to think on this price

I would trust TR Crandall's work if my life depended on it... the repair are definitely factored into to cost, but it's supply and demand if that's the one for you. Personally i'd take the '54 J50 next to it on their inventory page at half the price and start playing early dylan songs immediately. good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 9:16 AM, cunningham26 said:

I would trust TR Crandall's work if my life depended on it... the repair are definitely factored into to cost, but it's supply and demand if that's the one for you. Personally i'd take the '54 J50 next to it on their inventory page at half the price and start playing early dylan songs immediately. good luck!

The real steal is the 1947 J-50 he has at $5.5k. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Armen said:

Yep, very nice too!

my priority is a Southern Jumbo tho

The price of that on is absolute top dollar. It's your call.

It is nice, very nice, but it is no bargain. The fact that it is an early SJ Natural  probably adds little to collector value at this time. 

Ironically, it would probably be more valuable if it were a conventional 1953 SJ sunburst in the same condition. Natural-top Gibson slope-Js typically sell for less than their sunburst twins.

I looked for a really good sunburst SJ from 1946-1952 for about a year.  (I own two 1950 J-45s, one of which I have owned since 1966. )

I never found one that was what I wanted, and ended up buying a pristine 1943 SJ  re-issue  that is a really good guitar, even if lacks vintage vibe. If I ever find a vintage one I prefer over the re-issue, the re-issue will go.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Any update on this?

I have a 1955 small pickguard, scallop braced, 19 fret Country Western which is essentially the same guitar. I paid $4500 US for it. It has more general wear and a few minor repairs. I think I probably paid close to full retail but I don’t think I would find a pre-55 spec burst J45 or SJ for under $5K. 

incidentally the back on mine looks like a similar piece of mahogany and I have a pet theory they saved these for the natural topped guitars. 

• 2 years later...