Gibson Brands Forums

Few Basic Questions about Les Pauls-Just bought my husband a Mint 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard Prem

pumpkin

first off... he was in SHOCK! he has always wanted one & i surprised him with it yesterday for our 10 year anniversary.

i did a lot of looking, researching, asking friends for advice & evidentally i picked the *perfect* one for him!

so i have a couple questions...

1. why do some standards not say *standard* on the top of the neck? this one does not, but one here does:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=517185X

2. can you give me the order of les pauls in value? from what i understand, it goes Studio, Standard, Standard Premium Plus, etc... is that correct? what is next in line after the Standard Premium Plus?

3. what are the tuning keys made of? they are kinda white, is that just plastic or something fancy?

4. the case has a spin combination lock, but i dont know the combination. can you have them reset? if so, by who?

5. are they still making this particular guitar? or has it been renamed?

6. why does this one have a 60's neck but a 2008 has a 50's neck? is that just how all the 03 models came?

7. did this one come with Burstbucker Pro pickups with alnico V magnets? if not, what are they & how do you know? can you tell by looking?

i think thats it for now. thanks so much.

I'm not sure about the truss rod cover, the picture you're seeing on the link you gave is just a stock photo taken when the model was released. They might have stopped putting that cover on this model, which they have done with other models before.

I think you have the value thing right, and Custom should come next if you just include the "default" line of LP's.

The tuning keys are molded plastic, and should be very reliable as long as the guitar is set up correctly (have your husband take it to a local tech for a good setup, it makes a world of difference).

For the case lock, check the 3rd post on this page: http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6640

I think as of 08, they are still making this model.

Gibson makes a few different neck profiles, and different LPs have different profiles. For example, the new 2008 Standard has an asymmetrical neck profile, while the Studio has the 50's neck I think.

Did you buy the guitar off eBay? If so, you can probably email the original owner to find out if he ever changed the pickup. I don't think you can tell by looking.

Any pics of the guitar? By the MF picture it looks like a great one. Wow , I hope when I'm older and married I have a wife who buys me Gibsons haha, he's a lucky man.

first off... he was in SHOCK! he has always wanted one & i surprised him with it yesterday for our 10 year anniversary.

i did a lot of looking' date=' researching, asking friends for advice & evidentally i picked the *perfect* one for him!

so i have a couple questions...

1. why do some standards not say *standard* on the top of the neck? this one does not, but one here does:

2. can you give me the order of les pauls in value? from what i understand, it goes Studio, Standard, Standard Premium Plus, etc... is that correct? what is next in line after the Standard Premium Plus?

3. what are the tuning keys made of? they are kinda white, is that just plastic or something fancy?

4. the case has a spin combination lock, but i dont know the combination. can you have them reset? if so, by who?

6. why does this one have a 60's neck but a 2008 has a 50's neck? is that just how all the 03 models came?

7. did this one come with Burstbucker Pro pickups with alnico V magnets? if not, what are they & how do you know? can you tell by looking?

Hi....Welcome to the forum pumpkin.

Your guy is one lucky camper for having a awesome wife like you.

As for your questions...

1. I maybe mistaken but newer LP Standard and some models LP comes w/o that decal anymore.

Not sure why.

2, I am guessing the next step up are those custom shop LP.

3 They call it Kluson Style Green keys (not sure if it's made of plastic..sorry)

4. Check the manual in setting and resetting the lock.

5. You can still find them in most big name stores.

6. They come in either configuration but most guys like the slim tapered or 60's neck.

7. Not sure but guessing more likely.

Again I'm no expert here,let's wait for some more guys to chime in to give you more detailed answer

to your questions. And please tell us that you bought this guitar from a reputable supplier.

I forgot, you have to post a pics of the guitar to make it official.

WELCOME!!!

thank you so much for answering! its a little intimidating to ask such basic questions on a forum full of guitarists.

i bought it at Charleys Guitars in Dallas. it was a 1 owner guitar & the owner must have never even touched it.

i will take some pics now & upload them in a few to post.

i am so happy to be able to buy this for him! ive been a stay at home mom for 10 years and just started working in the middle of february. so i put away money each week and surprised him with it. he had NO IDEA! it was the greatest surprise & i dont think i will ever be able to top this one!

Wow. These are all really good questions. You've done your homework I see ...

Most standards don't have anything written there but it's at Gibson's whim when they do. Currently they do.

Thats the order alrighty. Next up the $ line would be a Supreme in the Gibson USA line. Gibson custom shop is a whole 'nother ball game.

Plasic

You can reset it yourself. The directions are on the Gibson web site some where. I'd post the link but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Standards are still in production and are a bench mark (IMO) for all other Les Pauls.

Two necks sizes are available. The difference being thickness with the 60's neck being thinner. As the necks are hand made there will be variations so it's not always a clear difference.

Yes it does but you can't tell by looking all though I was told by a salesman that they use different screws for different pickups. If those are the stock pickups they are the BB Pros.

You are a great wife!

1. why do some standards not say *standard* on the top of the neck? this one does not' date=' but one here does:

In 2003 the Standard was just that..."The Standard" no special identification necessary.

That's about right

Plastic

Yes it can.

It is now "The Traditional.

It's kind of in between.

7. did this one come with Burstbucker Pro pickups with alnico V magnets? if not, what are they & how do you know? can you tell by looking? Yep BB pro's

Pictures are mandatory...

One more thing, 2003 was a great production year for the Standard.

Fit, finish, nut, Quality was top notch.

The last as far as I'm concerned with the original style model.

And many 03 owners will agree...

ok, im uploading pics now...

he is so very happy! he already had plans to play golf today & he didnt even want to leave this morning!

i KNEW he always coveted one at the local music store & he is always sitting around playing his Takamine acoustic, so this was just the perfect gift for him!

And please tell us that you bought this guitar from a reputable supplier.

i did! i have a friend that owns a pawn shop in dallas & he is very good friends with someone at Charleys Guitar.

Two necks sizes are available. The difference being thickness with the 60's neck being thinner. As the necks are hand made there will be variations so it's not always a clear difference.

i had figured that one out & knew he would prefer a 60's neck since he is a regular size guy... about 5'9" & 165lbs.

yall are so helpful! thanks so much for the welcome!

thanks so much yall!

i havent read the owners manual & the papers that came with it. (they were included in the case) the pick guard is in there too & he wants to have it put on.

he explained that in his opinion, a LP MUST have the pick guard on. i like the looks of it without it though.

i thought yall might get a kick out of this... its my daughter when she was 7 & just started playing guitar playing a little AC/DC. (my husband taught her, but she is 9 now & goes to weekly lessons)

its a VERY short video & the quality is poor because i took it on my cell phone. but i think she is pretty cute! =D>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9i44LfiELc

and here she is last year (8 years old) playing (and READING MUSIC) with her daddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLKja9srXIQ

What a exquisite woman you are!

I'm glad my wife isn't the only one...

:-)

You've gotten some good answers here, I'll fill in a couple with additional info.

That is a small plastic cover held on by two screws.

It can be replaced with a blank, or with one that says whatever you want it to.

I had several engraved with my name on them in the same script as the "Les Paul" name on the headstock.

Maybe you could do the same with his name - what a nice touch, eh?

Special or Junior (flat top, no carved arch), Studio, Classic, Standard, Standard Premium Plus, then you get into the Custom line and all the reissues where money gets serious.

You bought the "standard" by which all others are judged - it's a fine guitar. Beyond that it's largely cosmetics.

Plastic, but they work just fine. Replacing them with Grover Rotomatics is an upgrade, but not necessary.

Covered previously. I left all mine at the default 000 factory setting, I suggest you do too unless your kids are an issue.

Almost... The new 2008 Standard incorporates many changes that the "Standard" guys don't care for.

Pretty radical departure from the tried and true as built for the last 50 years.

You have the REAL Standard that millions know and love.

As said previously, the new Traditional is as close as you can get to a Standard now. Confusing, I know...

You will hear enough about the neck profiles to make your head swim.

References are based loosely on what the vintage guitars had from 1954 thru 1960 when production ceased.

59 is the Gold Standard of guitar necks, 1960 is when the new "slim taper/60" neck came out.

Regular production from the eighties remained largely unchanged with a "rounded" or "50's" profile on the Standard. The 60 slim neck was rare, on certain special runs, then as a regular thing on the Les Paul Classic.

I prefer the Classic simply for this reason so I bought one in 2001.

Guess what?

In 2002 the Standard began to offer two neck profiles, your 2003 falls into this category.

You now had a choice between the "50's Rounded" and the "60 Slim Taper" neck at no cost.

This remained so into 2008 when the new Standard came out - I hate 'em.

Yes, great pickups. I put those in my Classic. No reason to change them unless you want something for metal.

No, you can't tell by looking.

You're most welcome, come back anytime.

We love to help, and we KNOW your husband is a lucky man indeed!

Archived