Gibson Brands Forums

Few Basic Questions about Les Pauls-Just bought my husband a Mint 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard Prem

pumpkin

what is the difference between Burstbucker Pro pickups & the the Humbuckers you always hear about?

They are all humbuckers by definition, construction internally is slightly different.

Very detailed assessment of how all that works is a bit of magic and wizardry.

You will hear of "vintage" sounding pickups, usually lower output.

You will hear of "hot" pickups, higher output. This can be taken to the extreme.

Humbuckers are fairly high output as opposed to single coils (think Fender Stratocaster) and hot pickups are really only needed for really heavy stuff - as per my reference to metal.

If your husband needs a little more output from his BurstBuckers (doubtful) he can use an overdrive pedal.

What kind of amp does he have?

A good tube amp, even modestly sized, is important to really hear what a good guitar produces.

Quick read on the history of pickups - pretty interesting.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/History/

Differences between pickups, relative output measurements.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They_re%20Made%20%281%29/

DONT LAUGH.....

well... *he* doesnt have an amp! LOL! our little girl does though! its just a small one (roland) Santa Claus got her with her 1st little electric (J Reynolds) a couple years ago.

i so wanted to get him an amp too, but i just couldnt pull off the guitar AND amp, so last night he just used her little one.

im thinking he will buy a good one tomorrow.

thanks for the pickup info! ive learned quite a bit these past few weeks & A LOT today! yall are so helpful, i wish i had found this forum before i bought the guitar!

<ahem...>

<------<------<

(See avatar pic)

Fender Hot Rod series.

Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 is around $750.

Fantastic value for the money.

There are smaller ones in the Hot Rod series for less money, down to the Blues Jr. for $350.

Lots to choose from, dozens of brands.

Read, listen, play and learn.

Then decide.

Sure!

New if you can afford it.

If not, throw it out into the forum and let the dawgs here chew on it.

They'll tell you what they use - and why.

Just noticed Pumpkin is from E Texas.

God's Country!

I spent 15 years in the Houston area, most of my family is scattered across the state.

As far as pickguards go, there are aftermarket CLEAR pickguards. I would get one, if I had that LP, or if I bought the one in my avatar: best of both worlds imho. I will be getting one for a spalted maple non-Gibson my sons and I own....

oh nooooo... these pics show tons of fingerprints!

Hey; it'll get fingerprints because it's being used and that's a Very Good Thing Indeed!!!

Congrats on finding a beautiful instrument and welcome to the forum.

You'll have to get the rest of the family up here too....

he explained that in his opinion' date=' a LP [b']MUST[/b] have the pick guard on. i like the looks of it without it though.

there are other alternatives for putting on a pickguard without damaging the finish of the guitar. check out www.bobbyleesignatureseries.com for pickguards that give the pickguard look and functionality without the drilling into the body. pretty cheap too

DONT LAUGH.....

well... *he* doesnt have an amp! LOL! our little girl does though! its just a small one (roland) Santa Claus got her with her 1st little electric (J Reynolds) a couple years ago.

i so wanted to get him an amp too' date=' but i just couldnt pull off the guitar AND amp, so last night he just used her little one.

im thinking he will buy a good one tomorrow.

thanks for the pickup info! ive learned quite a bit these past few weeks & A LOT today! yall are so helpful, i wish i had found this forum before i bought the guitar![/quote']

depending on your budget, it is definitely worth it to go for tube amps. i bought a super cheap epiphone valve junior for $100 total on ebay, but you can get it brand new for around $250. then the fender blues juniors are $300-$500 depending where and what you get. the higher fender tubes will get you somewhere around 700 and up so hope that pawn shop has somethin good :D i've always heard that texas has some pretty amazing finds in their pawn shops for unheard of prices sometimes.

this is for NeoConMan:

Silk & Taffeta Frilly Dress: $75

Swarovski Crystal Hair Clips: $35

Lightly Applied LipGloss $3

Native Texan getting her first .22 at 6 years old.... PRICELESS

XmasEve2005015.jpg

XmasEve2005016.jpg

Oh my God!!!

That's the most beautiful thing I've EVER seen!!!

When I die, I'll go to Heaven as long as I can vacation in Texas every year.

:-)

I gotta show this to Mrs. Neo.

Look at that precious little girl, I LOVE the long hair. Swarovski Crystal Hair Clips no less....

As far as pickguards go, there are aftermarket CLEAR pickguards. I would get one, if I had that LP, or if I bought the one in my avatar: best of both worlds imho.

there are other alternatives for putting on a pickguard without damaging the finish of the guitar. check out www.bobbyleesignatureseries.com for pickguards that give the pickguard look and functionality without the drilling into the body. pretty cheap too

hmmm.... thanks so much! i didnt know that!

depending on your budget, it is definitely worth it to go for tube amps. i bought a super cheap epiphone valve junior for $100 total on ebay, but you can get it brand new for around $250. then the fender blues juniors are $300-$500 depending where and what you get. the higher fender tubes will get you somewhere around 700 and up so hope that pawn shop has somethin good ](*,) i've always heard that texas has some pretty amazing finds in their pawn shops for unheard of prices sometimes.

good info! thank you!

When I die, I'll go to Heaven as long as I can vacation in Texas every year.

:D

Pumpkin, I was playing thru a new Mesa Lone Star 1x12 combo again yesterday.

Made me realize how inferior my beloved Fender combo amps are....

:-(

If you wanna get your husband the amp worthy of his guitar, THIS is it.

A little pricey (over $1k), but it just doesn't get any better than this;

http://www.mesaboogie.com/

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/Lonestar.htm

They are very versatile, can be switched to various power levels to keep it sane inside the house and still sound cool.

The sky is the limit, but if you can stretch beyond the Fenders this is damned sure good enough.

He would NEVER sell it, even if he bought a bigger amp later. They're that good....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived