Gibson Brands Forums

1983 Korina Custom Shop Explorer

RockinRich8

Greetings,

So I purchased this modified 1983 Explorer a few years ago with the sellers claims it was a Custom Shop and also Korina.  I liked the guitar and it played REALLY well so I bought it. But being modified with EMG's and diamond plate, I was skeptical about the Custom Shop Korina part.  It does have the CS logo on back of headstock, but you know ebay....

I was curious the other day and opened up the top removing the full diamond plate pickgaurd and discovered a previous tremelo routing.  (I assumed this since the headstock has locking nut screw holes).  But to my surprise, the wood in the tremelo cavity appeared to be Korina!  Now I know it's been modified with the trem, and a dozen small screws for the diamond plate pickgaurd, but this is really cool!

I did a little research and verified my 80483566 ser# is just a few digits off of a known 1983 Korina Custom Shop Explorer.  Great News!

The setup and level of work done to this vintage Unicorn makes me a little suspect if this could be a "Hetfield" guitar or other known shredder?   The frets are perfect jumbos, the action is tight, planet waves locking tuners, Tonepros bridge and saddle, and a real Pro setup.  I know there are alot of fans making clone guitars, but nobody hacks up a guitar this rare.  100 total I think I read?

My question?  Should I try to restore it to original glory? or seek the Heavy Metal story behind this Unicorn?

Thanks and Cheers!

1983 Korina Explorer.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Edited by RockinRich8
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

This is my old 83 Ginson Korina Explorer which I had routed for a kahler tremolo. It was stolen from me in 1988. I've been tracking this guitar for 15 urs and almost caught up with it at Guitarlington in Arlington TX, but it was sold. That was a few years back. I want this guitar back. Are you willing to sell it back tocthe original owner???

KC

• 9 months later...

The Pear Inlaid Gibson logo on the head likely indicates that it is a "Custom Shop Edition" Explorer, especially if the "pressed" serial number starts with an 8 and the 5th number is a 3. '83 CSE Explorers also had Gold hardware, 3 inline p/u volume (2) and tone (1) knobs/pots, pearl fretboard inlays, Rosewood fret boards, and the 3 position selector switch on the "horn". Here is a pic/link of my 1983 Custom Shop Edition Explorer. It is all original and I bought it new from Guitar Center in Arlington Heights, IL in 1984. I am the first and only owner, so I can guarantee that it is entirely "factory".  Check my other posts for the info I have gathered on '83 Explorers and the questions I still have.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3tL4ZRa